It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does GOD stand for?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insane Drummer
well, the republicans want you to think that GOD=GOP, but if the party of the elephant was really so holy, do you think that they would have killed hundreds of innocent lives in iraq ...

It's called the Crusades...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
According to some trucks I've seen, G.O.D. = Guaranteed Overnight Delivery

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Grand
Old
Diety

Greatest
Original
Designer

Grandmaster
Of
Destruction

My favorite:
Gnostic
Ordinal
Dreamer

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Gray Old Dude....

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It's a linguistic conspiracy! "God" is "Dog". really. So that means that God is your dog... or your dog is God.
Better to treat him well, give him all the food he want and cleaning his poo on the sidewalks, or you go straigt to Hell!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Greatest Omniscient Diety

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
GOD is just a term, used to describe the source of light.

It would actually be wise to say GOD has no name... you cannot name something that is like GOD... but GOD is the name used ... God is "the all" ... it is the light.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think this belongs in Chit-Chat..

I believe it should be noted that the word God is exlusive to the english language, and is not universaly feasible with other languages.

I can contrive a great deal many words used to describe God: Allah, Kudha, RAHB, Wahe Guru, etc etc etc..

Deep

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, personally I was just having fun with the whole anagram thing, but if you want to get technical and all here is what most Dictionary References say:

Etymology
The word God continues Old English/Germanic god (guþ, gudis in Gothic, Gott in modern German). The original meaning and etymology of the Germanic word god have been hotly disputed, though most agree to a reconstructed Proto-Indo-European form *ǵhutóm, which is a passive perfect participle from the root *ǵhu-, which likely meant "libation", "sacrifice". Compare:-

* Vedic Sanskrit hu- = "to sacrifice".
* Greek khu-, kheu- = "to pour".
* Common Germanic strong verb geutan (Anglo-Saxon gēotan) = "to pour", English in-got.

The connection between these meanings is likely via the meaning "pour a libation". Another possible meaning of *ǵhutóm is "invocation", related to Sanskrit hūta.

The word God was used to represent Greek theos, Latin deus in Bible translations, first in the Gothic translation of the New Testament by Ulfilas.

Bla Bla Bla....whatever....

Tao

Gnostic
Ordinal
Dreamer

:p

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join