It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death By Slow Burn: How America Nukes Its Own Troops

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I've alreay been through the known effects of Depleted Uranium, long ago elsewhere.

There is no known hazard to radiation from DU this is even agreed with by the whole UN.

DU weapons more likely than not are not allowed by the UN due to the fact that the only people that can really afford them, are the US and Russia...

DU has been a weapon worked on for 40 years, and again I say, there is no evidence that it can harm you in any way but shooting you.

It makes for a great anti-armor round. That's about it.

DU armor will leave DU dust when struck and this can cause long term inhilation problems, such as with asbestos, only regarding radiation, but it is so minimal it has less of an effect than breathing in second hand smoke.

The Royal Society of England published data showing that battlefield soldiers who inhale or swallow high levels of DU can suffer kidney failure within days.8

I'd sure love to hear where that whopper came from. I mean hell more nuclear fall out has fallen on Las Vegas than you can ever recieve from 1,000,000 rounds of DU. And aside from the crackheads most Vegans are pretty well off.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
A post I made on this subject in this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have been in the environmental field for the last 4 years, and have a bit of knowledge in this field: DU is extremely toxic if it enters the bloodstream.

Like all heavy metals, DU is completely cumulative inside the human body, meaning that it goes in and becomes resident in your bodily tissue cells. Some of the more common symptoms include sterility/sexual dysfunction, blood clotting/circulatory problems, blood anemia, loss of bone density, loss of teeth, and severe mental problems.

The average DU weapon does in fact spall and release a cloud of micron sized DU particles on impact with an armored target. This certainly poses a hazard for any workers who will be constructing anything in the immediate area, or will be otherwise stirring up the ground and making this dust airborn (once airborn it does pose an inhalation hazard, and if inhaled will readily cause serious lung problems.)

I was interviewed by Halliburton for a position where I would be managing environmental problems associated with the oil fields in Iraq. Although it was very lucrative, I declined for several reasons, not least of which was my concern for health and safety related to heavy metal contamination in the fields, due to use of DU weapons.

If an armored conflict occurred in an area, and DU weapons were used, the likely way any kind of cleanup would go would be something like this:

First, widespread sampling of the soils to find and delineate where such contamination was located. If it was a large conflict, especially a large tank battle, I can see hundreds of square km impacted.

Once you know where the contamination is, and how bad it is, you have to do something about it. If it is low enough level, you could simply cordon it off and prohibit any excavation/construction, or any other activity that would stir the soil up (DU is very heavy and it takes a bit of activity to make it airborn).

If construction or other activity is planned in the affected area, you only really have 2 choices: remove it (could easily reach hundreds of thousands of cubic yards of material excavated, and where do you put it? Bury it all? And where do you find clean fill to replace it?) or simply overlay it and seal it in place with asphalt/concrete or other material. But again, you could be talking hundreds of squard km.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
help, i cant delete my post

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi

help, i cant delete my post

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

You can't delete it Moku, but all you can do is just do the "back cursor" thingy.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Bout Time

I guess "know" before you post is the appropriate response? A bullet which does what the firearm does is no different/no worse - the standard issue firearm ( pick your fave) of most armies is going to send the bullet 'tumbling' so it enters small wherever it hits, continues to tumble catching up muscle fibers and/or organs, and exits with a nice size crater in the rear.
Once we got by the Roman short sword it all got pretty inhuman, no?

Your proving your lack of understanding of projectile physics, entrance/exit effects and causes, with every word you speak...keep it up, eventually you'll have yourself talked back to the short sword...which by the way, would probably lead to a fairly inhumane way to die

Being a Sibyl, you can forsee such adversarial tones leading to no good, no?

I mean no disrespect when I ask you to please enlighten us on projectile physics.
My understanding on what was of keen interest at one point in my life: AK-47's fire full metal jacket ammo that has a lead core half way & a bubble in the tip....the lead moves forward into the bubble space, causing a tumble which doesn't stop until exit and increases the exit size over the entry size .
M16's fire an ammo which fragments upon impact...and I believe the shock wave effect of the round causing a 'wave' upon entry strong enough to break bones & rupture organs, since we're mostly water, are bodies exhibit much of the same properties ( the bullet being like a rock tossed into a pond).

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Be glad to.

First, the "tumbling" designed into any given ammunition isn't to achieve a bigger exit hole, nor does it necessarily play into it. The designers of a tumbling bullet only want to inflict pain...yes, the organ damage you speak of. They don't even care if it ever exits, they don't care the size of the exit hole relative to the entrance...and they're just as happy with a big entrance hole, which they can get because the tumbling is initiated at the point of impact with the target.

Concerning exit/entrance hole ratios. A projectile's depth, and hole size (whether it be entrance or exit) is dependent on the media through which it travels. For every CHANGE in medium, there is a change in hole size and change in potential depth. As a high-speed projectile exits from a more dense, higher strength material (in this case the human body), part of the energy that had been concentrated in the axial (forward) motion of the projectile begins to radiate outwards...thereby decreasing the forward velocity and increasing the hole size. For this reason, as the pressure wave exits the body, it expands radially and causes the exit hole to be bigger than the entrance hole (which was just the opposite on entry - low density, low strength air to higher density, high strength person). This expansion upon exiting a higher density medium to a lower density medium is sometimes referred to as the whiffle effect.

This will happen regardless of whether the bullet begins to tumble or not. And, I might add, that you are correct in that there are plenty of ammunitions out there that are designed to tumble after impact.

However, I believe the the characteristic of the AK-74 which caused it to be considered "illegal" was that it begins to tumble (yaw) at such a short amount of time after impact. I believe that they banned all ammunitions that began to yaw within a set distance from the point of impact.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I worked for over 3 years in shaped charge design and performance.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Good show Valhall

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There have been many studies over the effect of DU weapons on personel, including Military and Civilian. Most if not all cases were caused from people Crawling around in destroyed vehicles that have been hit by a DU weapon. A DU weapon is designed to First: Penetrate Armor, Second: Vaporize into a mist of extremely hot and lethal cloud upon entry, To get a general idea, Its basicly a Frag weapon that first penetrates armor.

The moral of the story? Dont climb around in exploded tanks kiddies, And you wont get sick.

Also, on another note, Are you aware the armor on the M1a1 and m1a2 consist of steel encased Depleted Uranium?

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by ThermoNuke]

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by ThermoNuke]

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
yes i agree with the moderator ..i think DU, as a chemical used in weapons can be extremely dangerous, this has been proved not onlt with research experts but the fact thatwhere it has been used and how many have suffered because of this.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Although ANY ammunition is made of materials comprised of chemicals, it is disingenuous to refer to DU as a "chemical used in" these ammunitions. It is simply a metal; a heavy metal...used for its mass properties. Using hyperbole doesn't help the discussion.

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Ok, if you single guys aren't asking this girl for her phone nunmer, you're all Panzy-Boys!!!

Val, you are quite impressive!

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 05:35 PM
link   
By the way, what we have learned from this thread here is that yet another liberal has either lied, or twisted the truth or covered the truth partially over. I say that whether they were accidentally incorrect (given bad advice or intel) or were being maliciously deceitful, everyone of those here supporting the anti-DU position as well as those supplying the erroneous info in the media should be impeached from whatever job or position they hold and also be brought up on some kind, any kind of charge.

Don't give me anything about the lie not killing anyone. If you'll steal my billfold, you'll steal the bank!

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Ok, if you single guys aren't asking this girl for her phone nunmer, you're all Panzy-Boys!!!

I agree, she is quite impressive!!

Has a great deal of technical knowledge and makes very good contributions to EVERY post I have seen her take part in.
As far as the phone number thing though, my wife may not like that much

edit : oops, didn't see the single part in the original. But if I were...........

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by Fry2]

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That's okay Fry2...hubby wouldn't be okay with it either.

Both you and TC...thanks for the compliments!

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Frankly, I think that a compliment wrapped up in a gender specific qualifer denotes a perception of less than equal.....but take it as ya like it!

( Just a damn NYC Yankee tweekin my 'Bama buddy!)

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Valhall, I think I love you...............

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This is so tragic to finally be accepted at the point of my branding...

I stand with my red badge of dishonor before the community

However! As some real smart dude named Tim said: it's a heck of a lot better to be persecuted unjustly for a righteous act than to be punished justly for an unrighteous one.

I lift my head high and wear my red badge with honor.

[Edited on 17-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out what you got it for.
I thought you were exceedingly tame with Freemason considering the stance he took and some of his statements.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I believe it was when I got too personal and called him by his first name.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join