It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcastic posts just as bad as ones that cause flames.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sarcasm is being confused with smart-alec posts. Sarcasm is also much harder to pin point than smart alec responses since the former is a tool used used in everyday dialogue to get a point across coming usually in the form of reverse psychology. The latter is intended as a belittlement, has no valid point to make and in here is often accompanied by the site provided lighthearted intended icons to the right of a post creation, yet oft demoted to smart alec usage instead.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm proposing the very best method for all while they're posting their sarcastic comments:

[sarcasm]your comment[/sarcasm]

or

Your sarcastic comment to make your point.
[sarcasm turned off]

I do it on an occasional basis at another message board and almost everybody followed my method. It works out, after all.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Here's another person who doesn't like the sarcasm here. There was a time where there was hardly any sarcasm on this forum, and the discussion were enjoyable. So don't come saying that sarcasm is a necessity, because it's not and it only brings down the level of discussion. The site owner voiced his opinion in this thread, and he doesn't want sarcasm. Deal with that.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm a grandmother and i am not offended by sarcasm. I am only offended by extreme rudeness and people who have NO sense of humor.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
And most of the comments lately are just plain rude and insensitive.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
Sarcasm is being confused with smart-alec posts.

Yes this is what I meen! It's not the sarcasm that gets me, it's the one-liner smart alec posts! It's still sarcasm in my opinion, but this also much different then sarcasm as a whole. I don't meen ban all sarcasm, I just meen to say that when a post is deviod of anything but sarcasm and a one-liner at that and there are three more of the same thing below it well... it does give me an ulcer and it detracts from the quality of discussion.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
By definition sarcasm is, "A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound." This here would be something that isn't needed at ATS, and would overall lower the quality of posts. But sometimes sarcasm can be used without the insult and can add humor, it is a fine line. But I get the picture, I am not wanted anymore.

[edit on 3-19-2005 by Sarcasimo]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Of course you're wanted here.
And you give a good support of this thread with your definition...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

This is a prime example of what I am talking about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree, this is an example of an unwarranted remark.
This is NOT the kind of sacrcasm I was thinking of, nor does it have a place at ATS. It is the kind of remark I'd tell a mod about. *bad grammar*

@ sarcasimo~~~~
You better not plan on leaving ATS, I'll come looking for you

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   

But, that's not sarcasm. That's just not funny. Now, if he had said, "David Icke knows alot about repitilians, what with all the typing he does with his middle tail...". That's funny.

I'm sardonic -- sarcastically mocking -- and I know I pride my myself on bringing the funny. Besides, I hate to break it to anyone, but the majority of the world thinks we wear tin foil hats. Doesn't matter that our ranks are comprised of doctors, lawyers, millionaires, scientists, and they guys who keep the lights working. The very fact that we believe in the outlandish, inturn, makes us outlandish to the rest of the world.

And, if the rest of the world considers us outlandish, the last thing we should do is take ourselves too seriously. Now, if some people can't stand up to playful mocking and sarcasm, how they can they stand up against a world who literally thinks we're nuts.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
Now, if some people can't stand up to playful mocking and sarcasm, how they can they stand up against a world who literally thinks we're nuts.

you've been voted way above top sensible.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS cownosecat.

You will find it's not hard to get around this. I for one am guilty, but I am just trying to lighten up the moment. But as sarcasm goes, many an argument has been won in this manner.

I'm sure you will fit in just fine.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
I am a very very new member here, however I recently read that post about people saying things to cause sparks and useing broken logic on purpose and other fallacies.

However I have noticed another negative thing that I thought maby I could bring to attention, and that is sarcastic replies. I don't know why but on almost every thread I've read someone says something stupid and sarcastic in the attempt of being funny. And after one person does it usually there are about four more. I just have no idea why.

So... my request is to please think before you post, always ask yourself if what you are posting is contributing something to the forum, and if you do simply have to post something sarcastic my request is to also write something of signifigance below it.

Grow up.The is a disscussion site.As long as no person insults or bad language is used who cares.Next will be you cannot disagree with a comment and you should only post if you agree.This site attracts personnalities who stand against rules and use NWO and stuff as a smoke screen to be anti govt,anti rich society (cos there jeolous they can`t buy what they want).
It bugs me that certain people complain about this on here surely this should be in BTS.And it really makes me laugh when somebody complains because of poor grammer or spelling.
For my point the content is fair more greater than the method used to get a point across.This isn`t high school no grades are being lost.People should discount content just because the way it is delivered.Some people might do it on perporse just to satisfy there own juvernile sense of humur

[edit on 20-3-2005 by weirdo]

[edit on 20-3-2005 by weirdo]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here's how I see the "fine line".

If sarcasm is focused towards the poster or the thread then it's not contributing.

If sarcasm is focused towards the topic of the thread to add a bit of sugar to the castor oil we know as conspiracies then I don't see harm.

My "Walmart National Anthem" remarks were funny (at least I thought so). But it also has a point. It shows the extreme end of the situation which has more impact. Impact Humor has a way of staying where facts fade. Attach an idea with Impact Humor and the idea behind it gains longevity.

I think a little chuckle goes a long way when you are talking about the erosion of your standard of living.

To not want this type of humor seems a bit hive-mindish to me.

[sarcasm]
But if resistance is futile, I'll assimilate.
[/sarcasm]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735

But, that's not sarcasm. That's just not funny. Now, if he had said, "David Icke knows alot about repitilians, what with all the typing he does with his middle tail...". That's funny.

First, that was funny, ....so, how many tails is that?

As for the post, yes, that was a useless insult. And it failed to even remotely do the job it inteneded. It was made with too many words that were not needed to get the point across: Everything in brackets should have been omitted:
and if you think your brain can create your [life][(]reality[)], why are you [a geek] reading a messageboard instead of [being a cool guy] partying with the hottest girls your brain can create [for you]?
It detracts and makes the insulter look like they haven't the intelligence to deliver an insult of a calibur that anyone would laugh over. It insunuates that everyone here is a geek, and that the only way to be cool is to have a harem. *tch* *shakes head* You gotta write these things FOR your audience, not for yourself.

Oh, no sarcasm here, I'm dead serious; I think this was poorly constructed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join