It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency situation at Olkiluoto nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
"Plant operator TVO said there was no danger for people of for the environment." Russia said something like that and so did Japan. Famous last words? I hope not.

The facility, located on the west coast between the cities of Rauma and Pori, was forced to undergo an emergency shutdown (scram) on Thursday shortly after noon.

According to Stuk, the problems in the plant started "when radiation measurement systems detected higher levels within the plant." However, the nuclear watchdog said "no radiation has been released into the surroundings from the facility" and the radiation situation in the vicinity of the plant is "normal."

Previously, the operator of the plant (TVO) reported "a plant emergency situation" occurred at 12:22 in which "an isolation of main steam lines has launched an isolation which has isolated also the containment." (sic).
Emergency situation at Olkiluoto nuclear plant

After the first report they changed the wording to: "There has been a disturbance at Olkiluoto 2 (OL2) nuclear power plant at 12.22, where the main steam line’s isolation has been triggered and the containment has been isolated."

The Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority is investigating the disruption and high levels of radiation.

The power plant is between the cities of Rauma and Pori and carried out a scram (emergency shutdown) around noon on Thursday.

AIEA - Update on Event at Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant in Finland.

The Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK) updated the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) about the event at Unit 2 of the Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant. STUK informed the IAEA at 13:42 UTC that radiation levels around the facility were within the average range for background radiation. STUK also said that there was no fuel damage and all safety systems were fully functional, and that the operator is preparing the plant to return to normal status.

Earlier today, STUK informed the IAEA that elevated radiation levels were measured inside the plant. Subsequently, Unit 2 was shut down. Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant is located on Olkiluoto Island about 220 km northwest of Helsinki.

The IAEA remains in contact with its counterparts in the Republic of Finland.
Update on Event at Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant in Finland

ETA-

ETA - Some good pics and video in this clip. Not so sure how accurate it is. It's pretty long, so I just skipped around the video. It is full of CT's.

ETA - Radiation Map. It changes often and you can't really go by any one station. If lots of stations start turning red, that's a different story.

edit on 10-12-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Anybody got a radiation monitoring map site we can look at? There is a European one that says it under construction...

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yeah. This plant is REALLY close to me.

-A bus crushed my bones

-In the middle of a process of recovering from the worst flu i have ever had

-A nuclear plant about to blow up nearby

Sounds like 2020 to me alright.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MapOfNowhere

Sorry to hear that, 2020 sucks.

Do you have any iodine pills?

Please let us know if you get any evac orders.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Anybody got a radiation monitoring map site we can look at? There is a European one that says it under construction...

Thanks for the idea.

I edited the OP with a link and pics.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Sure hope it don't turn into another fukishima.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hopefully it wasn't North Korean hackers who caused this . I dont have much trust on the officials when they give statements about these kind of nuclear issues.....With Chernobyll it taked days to get information.

Btw, Okiluoto 3 nuclear power plant worksite is one epic failure.....sigh...they are allready 12 Years behind schedule, and the price has at least triple .....when and if they ever start it i dont want to be near

Olkiluoto-3
edit on 11-12-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Not surprising at all, we are at the beginning of the sorrows spoken of in the Bible.

Next comes either war or famine, either one. Prepare for it accordingly.

The AC will rise soon, those who aren't ready will be deceived and lose ALL hope for salvation.

Christ is the only way and he's knocking on the door to your heart. Swallow your pride and ask Christ to show you who he is by his word and conviction in the spirit, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is your ONLY hope - do not look for hope elsewhere because it wont be found, ask Solomon.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Man, I sure hope one of the first things Trump does is expedite mandating federal facilitation of choosing the best LFTR technology/reactor designs, and start implementation immediately, with the goal of replacing every single one within the next 10 years.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

gloom, despair and agony on me.

you sound like someone else i met on another site. 😉

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."

Like it was written for this year lol.

Sorry, as you were.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

radmon.org...

It's in the above post

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

That is bonkers. I'm so sorry. Best wishes for health and safety.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hey guys.
Just checked Radmon.org and it looks like Ireland has a random massive spike. Everywhere else is green though.
edit on 11-12-2020 by GnarlyDon because: Spelling mistake 🤣

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GnarlyDon
Hey guys.
Just checked Radmon.org and it looks like Ireland has a random massive spike. Everywhere else is green though.

Yep, still there. It says 240. How bad is that? I dont understand the numbers. Stay safe everyone.

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
By the looks of the scale its beyond bad haha.
Shirley it must be a faulty read. 🤞🏼 For all is, I'm in Cornwall so not far at all.

a reply to: AgentAnderson

posted on Dec, 12 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Not much new info. This is about all I found with a quick search.

STUK tweeted: "An abnormal operational occurrence was detected at Olkiluoto 2 power plant ... there is no danger to people or [the] environment. No need for protective measures. Do not take iodine tablets, no need to seek shelter inside."

Jarmo Tanhua, CEO of the nuclear power plant operator TVO, said the incident was an exceptional and unparalleled event in the facility's history. TVO is a consortium of power and industrial companies.

"This is a significant and an exceptional incident and we consider it important to spread correct information about it," said Aino-Kaisa Pekonen, Finland's minister of social affairs and health.
Nuclear plant in Finland shut down due to high radiation level

top topics

join