It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History & Book Burning in Modern Age

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Da Vinci Code author, Dan Brown:

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?”

After seeing the bias against President Trump over the past four years and the censorship that is taking place, I started wondering how this time will be viewed 50 or 100 years from now.

How do we today, preserve the truth for tomorrow? One of the interesting things is that everything is so digital now, history can be manipulated more efficiently than ever before...they just delete anything they don't want people to know. We don't have book burnings, because books won't exist. Everything is just 0s and 1s and can be changed on the fly.

For example, let's say Biden is elected. How do we preserve the truth about the election if digital media won't report on it? How do we preserve the truth about the Plandemic? The truth about 9/11? The truth about anything that doesn't fit the mainstream narrative.

We almost need some historical time capsules in a vault somewhere to offer other view points so that when historians look back they get all sides of the story from the people that were actually there...

Thoughts? Discuss....

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Seriously? Who cares....everyone on here will be dead by then. Lets sweat the here and now.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I believe the only way to really address it is to secure the lines of communication & information.

To prevent the conversation from going in that direction, the Narrative is framed in a way that directly connects personal identity to corporate-political marketing, with a specific focus on manipulating the perception of scale. This premise works across the board, for a comprehensive corporate-political derived ideology and "reality." It doesnt matter if there are alternatives if enough people still buy into that technocratic ideology, and that number is much, much lower than many might suspect (imo, less than 10% based on historical events).

The goal is to establish a corporate-political ideology, or "nation" if you will, that completely transcends traditional borders. It doesnt need to convert everyone to be a problem, just the correct people in the correct places and enough of the population to add cultural momentum (supplemented by bots where needed).

In the not too distant past, the full impact of these things would take generations to realize. However, due to the nature of our tools, we have seen how rapidly such a thing can happen in a single year. I feel that many, if not most people, still dont quite comprehend how much our modern technology changes things.

I think we are only really flirting with the true extent of what this all means for our world, even if it seems out of control already.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

What are you talking about Oceania's always been at war with Eurasia....wait I mean, Oceania's always been at war with Eastasia...I mean...wait...Ummm...
edit on 10/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Seriously? Who cares....everyone on here will be dead by then. Lets sweat the here and now.

Why sweat the here and now if 50 years from now it will not be remembered?

The selective memory of people today is probably the most destructive aspect of our society.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Cuz the hear and now determines what happens later.

MEh, peeps worrying about 50 years from now seems silly when you are going to be dead or damn near dead.

a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The Left has been in control of the narrative for years.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

The Left has been in control of the narrative for years.

Honestly, it isn't even about left and right. It is preserving what really happened instead of a narrative.

How do we communicate to people 50 or 100 years from now that "This is what really happened during this time period..."

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Cuz the hear and now determines what happens later.

MEh, peeps worrying about 50 years from now seems silly when you are going to be dead or damn near dead.

My kids and grandkids will be around in 50 years hopefully so yeah, I worry about the future.

I would hope that remembering the decisions of the past would guide people's to make better decisions in the future.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I do get your point about history being written by the victors but im not sure if it applies. Unless IP providors start banning conservative news / articles then i don't see how you could bury the pro-trump perspective during the election controversy. Why wouldn't historians beable to dig up articles from a "trump was cheated" perspective?

And the Da Vinci Code author? Im pretty sure that book is a work of fiction.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That sounds grand....except the future does not portend anything other than what history has shown us,,,,cuz well, we is dumb.

I mean look at what our kids are doing right now, pulling down statues, eradicating history.

I'm kinda glad we dont live for too long.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Those are wise words, indeed. Directed history is sometimes needed to help navigate the collective future, something which sometimes requires using as a means to an end the most peculiar characters and individuals.

It has been always the same. It seems democracy is such a serious thing to let it in the hands of people... A paradox.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
I do get your point about history being written by the victors but im not sure if it applies. Unless IP providors start banning conservative news / articles then i don't see how you could bury the pro-trump perspective during the election controversy. Why wouldn't historians beable to dig up articles from a "trump was cheated" perspective?

And the Da Vinci Code author? Im pretty sure that book is a work of fiction.

What do you mean "unless IP providers start banning conservative news.." We have active banning and suppression of alternative thought going on right now. Google. Youtube. Mainstream media. This is the point. HOw do we ensure other viewpoints can remain in plain sight. All it takes right now is a delete key or suppressed search.

I chose the quote as I thought it was applicable. The fact Dan Brown is an fiction author doesn't change the point of the quote.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

one idea:
write up a document listing all the events that have happened.
all legislation signed
all executive orders passed
all voting results

then vacuum seal it and put it in a "time capsule". bury it in your yard.
then one day someone will find it and the truth will be there.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

one idea:
write up a document listing all the events that have happened.
all legislation signed
all executive orders passed
all voting results

then vacuum seal it and put it in a "time capsule". bury it in your yard.
then one day someone will find it and the truth will be there.

Yeah, I actually meant to put something like that in the OP but forgot.

A time capsule of political and social events is what it is... so that when people look back they know what really went on and people were thinking, not just what historians are saying they were thinking.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hopefully it’ll state the truth-

“The whole system was so f*cked during this period that historians can’t tell who was corrupt and who wasn’t. It’s easier to assume that 99.9% of the federal government was equally as f*cked because nothing was ever done about it despite American citizens and politicians knowing full and well that it was f*cked. For some reason, they just kept voting in more corrupt f*cks.”

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Last i looked, newsmax is a major news channel that talks about trump's election fraud 24/7. Not to mention, there are many people writing and talking about it.

Sure google and YouTube do some supression (and it should be looked into) but this idea that a massive complete blackout is happening is wrong.

Viewpoints are in mainsight. If i search for election fraud 2020 on youtube or a search engine i will find plenty of results.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Direne

Its a very interesting thing, really. The tools being (ab)used in many areas of our civilization are just that: tools. Many see everything from narrative control to mass surveillance as "bad," but they could be beneficial in the correct framework. Realizing how the Stories we tell today shape the future, en masse and consciously, would be a revolution in narrative formation.

A Cultural Story will be written whether we want it to happen or not, thats just the nature of it. How it takes shape will be determined by what Narratives saturate the populations psyche. I believe this is being manipulated intentionally with hostile intent, but Im not sure that matters to the actual process.

Of course, its pretty much "people" across the board. So, the same issues present in "the masses" are also present in positions & organizations with power. It could be said that such people have more riding on a successful outcome, a vested interest. However, I would argue that is offset by the type of person(s) that actually get into those positions, usually filtered by the overall societal structure to have a tendency towards sociopathy coupled with hubris.

I think the best bet is to really embrace the random and chaotic nature that billions of individual participants provide. In terms of a specific, like YouTube (Alphabet, Inc), using alternatives is a decent, basic start.. but Id like to see systems that strongly facilitate growth of competition from the individual level on up, rather than something of a king of the hill approach with fortifications and a high ground advantage.

Overall though, I think that the most pragmatic choice for the future of this species is to deploy modern technology & communication in a way that raises the lowest common denominator instead of lowering it. This results in a much less cohesive overall Narrative (for better or worse), as well significantly less methods of coercion (a downside for those who rely on such things), but I think the benefits would more than make up for it even in the near future (2-5 years).

As it stands though, its all just a repeating cycle. We always have difficulties coming to terms with each stage of increased scale & ability to exert will on others. Its just that.. this time around, I dont think the level of technology & scale provide a middle ground.

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Perhaps this age can be described as the one in which people were also considered as mere tools, and were consequently abused. Actually, truth itself is considered a tool, a means to an end. Once this happens, self-destruction seems to be viewed as the only wayout. Maybe that explains why society elects sociopaths to reach that fate...

Most likely, it is not just a change of paradigm, driven by a climatic change that translates into geopolitical changes, which in turn triggers global unrest, famine, and disease. It is also a disolution of belief systems, beliefs devoid of truth and rationality. In the end, technology turned into a consumer product becomes a problem. The technosphere soon becomes a global jail, and even truth becomes a product you can buy, sell, and adulterate. At the end of the day the entire planet is a product, a commodity you can trade off and prostitute.

However, nothing is perfect. Not even self-destruction.

(Nice to hear from you, by the way).

posted on Dec, 11 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   
In one of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" books, he writes humorously of a point at which the history of the galaxy becomes so long that the sheer mass of documents threatens to create a black hole (or something like that). So the historians decide to "slim down" history by simply eliminating all information on some impossibly long period of time, like many millions of years or so. They replace all information about this period of time with a single sentence like: "A period of readjustment ensued."
edit on 11-12-2020 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2020 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join