It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Angolan children dying from Ebola-like illness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Reports of an Ebola like, acute hemorrhagic virus outbreak have been recieved from Northern Angola. Unlike Ebola, it seems this disease is targeting children as 4 out of 5 people affected have been those of minor age. It is maybe a good sign that it is more prevelent in young children and I predict that the elderly will be suseptable as well - this means the disease might not have the ability to infect fit, healthy people.

www.cnn.com
Angolan officials have put the death toll at 64, but Thompson said the number is probably lower because deaths from other diseases may been included in the Angolan figure.

WHO has no estimates on how deadly the disease might be or how many cases already exist, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It has been a awhile since acute hemorrhagic virus have featured in the popular news syndicates. I can remember in the 90's there was a lot of fear-mongering going around stating that an ebola like virus would wipe us back to the stone age in the near future - well it is now the "near future", could this be the beginning or have we more to worry about in regards to the bird flu outbreaks in SE Asia?

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Norovirus Outbreak on Ship (from ATSNN)
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-3-2005 by KiwiDave]

[edit on 18-3-2005 by KiwiDave]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It depends on what the incubation period is and the time taken to kill. If it kills people quickly then it shouldnt spread that wide.

Im interested to know what basis is being given for it targetting children other than raw infection demographics.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
hmmm I am not making corrections....

Voting is suspended on this submission while the author makes corrections.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It means some one has asked you to make changes. But as far as I can see there is no hold on your story.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
allafrica.com...

Most of the dead are children under five, but two medical personnel working at the hospital in the provincial capital, also known as Uige, have also fallen victim to the disease.

Earlier rumours that the deaths were due to an outbreak of the Ebola virus appeared unfounded, given that most of the victims were children, officials said.

I am not sure of the demographics, but it is maybe a good sign that it is more prevelent in young children and I predict that the elderly will be suseptable as well - this means the disease might not have the ability to infect fit healthy people.

-KiwiDave

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The heat will kill it. It'll most likely burn out within a few days.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

It means some one has asked you to make changes. But as far as I can see there is no hold on your story.

Well it should state this - I had no idea, until I saw the utu's that is... LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yeah ive made a suggestion about these U2U's. They're too vague and unless you can see what needs changing yourself you have no idea what is wrong. If you knew who sent you the U2U then you could atleast ask them to explain whats wrong.

new topics

top topics

join