It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuck Yeager has died

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
According to Victoria Yeager on Twitter, Gen Chuck Yeager passed away just before 9pm tonight.

Fr
@VictoriaYeage11
It is w/ profound sorrow, I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9pm ET. An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever.

twitter.com...

Best known for being the first person to break the sound barrier in the Bell X-1A, he had a long and storied career in the Air Force, and in 2012, at the age of 89, he broke the sound barrier again, 65 years to the minute after his first supersonic flight. The flight began at Nellis AFB, but broke the sound barrier over Edwards AFB, retracing his route from the first flight.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

One of my favorite aviation/speed record stories to read about as a kid. Very brave man.
All respect due to General Yeager, glad he was one of ours. Rest in Peace sir.

edit on 21Mon, 07 Dec 2020 21:45:11 -0600pmvAmerica/ChicagoMondayb202012America/Chicago by Gravelbone because: Fighting terror

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Another of the greatest has "bought the farm". Anyone who knows the origin of that phrase, will understand it is said with sorrow in my heart.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

A true hero known around the world.

It is another sad passing.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Got any Beeman's? That man was a helluva pilot...

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Amazon has a collectors tin of Beeman's.
edit on 12/7/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Forever in Flight.

Rest in Peace.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I liked Yeager, I was really interested in that kind of stuff years ago. Then I chose to shift my interest to different interests, like learning many new trades and now studying food and pharmaceutical science.

It was so much fun back those days, studying anything to do with engines and with energy creation like nuclear power and rocket science. I still like the stuff but do not keep up on new developments in space and aviation technology like I used to.

Hey, he lived a long life, hope he did not suffer much in the end of his life.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Unpredictable is a newborns entry. Unpredictable is a newborns exit. As the in between struggle, the first and last of beginnings, continue.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Airforce newsreel with original footage.

Amazing what kind of risk was involved here... personally I would've passed out going on that elevator between the Bomber and the X1.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Now comes the legal fight between his children and that gold digger

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Chuck Yeager was still co-piloting fighter jets at age 89!

Hero
Hero

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

He had to have a broom handle to close the hatch on the X-1 because of his cracked ribs. He had to reach across his body and use his opposite arm and couldn't get enough leverage. He cracked two ribs and hurt his shoulder 36 hours before his flight in a horseback riding accident.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Another of the greatest has "bought the farm". Anyone who knows the origin of that phrase, will understand it is said with sorrow in my heart.

our fathers generation.
possibly the greatest anglo/saxon generation
and truly this man was
A MAN AMONG MEN
GOD rest his soul

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Every day a little more of the America I grew up in is gone.

RIP Chuck. You were an influence on me in several ways.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Chuck Yeager was a hero and an inspiration to many people all over the world.

Rest in peace, brave soul.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Chuck Yeager was the kind of guy who could report the wings of his plane falling off at supersonic speeds in his signature calm, measured tone, then land the damn thing without wings anyway.

He was a pioneer among pioneers, a badass's badass, a legend among legends.

All his life, anyone who knew about him couldn't help but look up to him. Now, and forever more, no one will be able to look up at the sky without looking up to him.

Respect and godspeed on his final flight.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Chuck Yeager was one of my original heroes.
I read his autobiography in high school.
What a storied life he led.
RIP.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

He was one of those people that almost everyone agreed was a total asshole, and many many people hated, but everyone respected the hell out of him, whether they hated him or not.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Wow, when I was a kid, I really wished that I would grow up to be Chuck Yeager. What an icon. So sad that he has passed. Hopefully our country will see more men like him in our future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join