It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

disagree with a great many of you, but.......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
i am curious.

say that there really is or was an Al-Qaeda terrorist organization, no matter how loosely formed. say that they actually did perpetrate the events of 09-11-01. bear with me now. just for a moment pretend that there is no other reason you think that the event could have come about. none of the excuses of corporate destruction of other countries resources, none of the talk of US military in other countries, none of the supposed oppression of the US upon other countries or peoples factors into this, just a guy with a plan and some friends to help him barely guide a couple planes into some buildings. just pretend for a moment that that is possible.

now, without resorting to any of the above mentioned "conspiracy theories" tell me-

what would you do about it if you were in a position of power to make such a decision?

would you:

a) build a wall around the US, post guards at the top every 50 feet, shoot anyone who comes close

b) invade Afghanistan and Iraq

c) do nothing

d) other (fill in the blank)

now, since most, i am assuming, will pick "d", please state why without using the above conspiracy theories as a basis for your decision. i am just curious what some people would do without all this internet war fantasy to fall back on.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'd do just what we did - clear out the slugs from Afghanistan.

I don't believe any hocus pocus conspiracy about 9/11. We saw what happened, and we know who did it.

BTW: To me, Iraq is a different matter.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
d.) Concentrated on taking out terrorist leaders way before 911 ever happened. We had many opportunities to rid ourselves of Osama prior to 911, along with many other such figures. We opted not to do so. It was a poor decision.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You're assuming they'd do this for no reason then?

Come on now... what reason did these 'terrorists' have to work with. Can't that be part of our answer?

Ok, they wanted to expel US from the gulf. What would I do? Withdraw us from the Gulf and send our spies to silently murder them one by one. Then when the threat has been defeated rest easily with an assurance to the population it won't happen again. That and make sure we have more spies everywhere to never let it happen again.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Your question is confusing.

what would you do about it if you were in a position of power to make such a decision?

are you asking what would you have done if you were in Bush’s shoes?

I don’t know about Iraq, but the situation in Afghanistan certainly needed to be taken care of.

Ultimately the issue is to remove the base of support for the terrorist. i.e. improve the economic situation for the average muslim, and encourage the democratic processes in muslim states.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My short answer:

Invade Afghanistan?: yes.
Invade Iraq?: no way.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Based on the scenerio you impose, I do exactly what Bush has done.
1) You identify the threat based on intelligence at hand.
2) Determine from where the threat originated.
3) Ask the government giving shelter to said threat to cooperate.
4) Asses any future threat.
5) Eliminate threat with extreme prejudice.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Country invasions to take out a few people is about the stupidest idea ever. What you would do is you would work with the international community to bring only those responsible to justice. By which I mean using police forces or even small special ops groups. You do not bring out infantry or air power that kill everything that moves. That simply engenders more violence and hostility.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
lol of course it woud be c) to start off have a propper investigation into what and why it happened, while at the same time tightening up security to try to avoid any more while the investigation continues.

ok investigation finds that the terrorists want the jews out of isrial/palistine. well obviously that is out of the question so we know who now where are they? if supported from a country then of course attack said country, (after all they started the war).
if a country is shielding them warn the country to turn them over while watching so they just can't move somewhere else. if not turned over , limited invasion. rules of engagement avoid civilion casualtioes if possible (some thing go out of controll) and avoid engageing their military unless no choice.implement sanctions. if engauged then go to war. (after all we have warned them). follow the trail to clean as much of network as possible. useing the same basic steps. by doing this you can show that you will not tolerate their actions while at the same time avoid looking like the agresser.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Cool post!

I mean we Europanes like to nag about bush but still he has the daunting task to give a response to terror, while we launch our complaints from the sidelines...

If his anti-teror agenda wasn't so conveniently polluted with corporate interests, I might actually like the guy...

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Silenus]

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fledgling666

MWa hahahahhahahahahaha

And then I'd twist my moustache and go MWa hahahahahhaha some more.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
if i was president, i be going after Al Qaeda but thats pretty much it.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'd have handled 9-11 like a criminal investigation. Sift through evidence, followup on leads (like, oh, interviewing all the Bin Ladens who fled the country the next day), and generally deal with it like a criminal act.

I would try and find out the specific demands of these terrorists, and the root causes of their anger with my country.

Then I would try to fix those perceptions while I hunt down the culprits and the masterminds of the attacks on 9-11.

I would release as much information as I could to the public. I would try to get people to understand what these guys' damage is.

The truth. Not "Oh they hate us because we are free."

The Bush Administration treats the US public like they have the intellectual capacity of a 3 year old.

jako

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Here is what you do. "DO NOTHING"
Cause aparently to most of the world, if you try to take any action to bring down the purpetrators, YOU are the one that will be considered the terrorist. And if you see someone that could potentially cause great harm in the future, DO NOTHING!! Cause watch out you will labeled a terrorist!!

Also always remember if you and a friend are walking down the street and a group of thugs start attacking you, be sure not to do anything. If you fight back or try to protect your buddy, you will be the one at fault!!! You will be the one to blame for causing the violence...you are the terrorist.

Honestly next time a terror attack happens in another nation, we should just do nothing!!!......however, there is a problem with that also. Cause if we did nothing, then we would still be condemned for being a rich nation that DID NOTHING TO HELP!!

Carburetor

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Carburetor
Here is what you do. "DO NOTHING"
Cause aparently to most of the world, if you try to take any action to bring down the purpetrators, YOU are the one that will be considered the terrorist. And if you see someone that could potentially cause great harm in the future, DO NOTHING!! Cause watch out you will labeled a terrorist!!

Also always remember if you and a friend are walking down the street and a group of thugs start attacking you, be sure not to do anything. If you fight back or try to protect your buddy, you will be the one at fault!!! You will be the one to blame for causing the violence...you are the terrorist.

Honestly next time a terror attack happens in another nation, we should just do nothing!!!......however, there is a problem with that also. Cause if we did nothing, then we would still be condemned for being a rich nation that DID NOTHING TO HELP!!

Carburetor

Ha! Great post

I love the sarcasm, but the sad fact is that your post is absolutely correct.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Now that i got the sarcasim off my shoulders
Here is what i think.

I think what we did with Afghanistan most people agree was on the right track with a few rough spots here and there.

As for Iraq. Once again we had the right intentions going in. After decades of breaking international law, and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, Saddam needed to be brought down. But the US made 1 error that made the biggest difference on image of the US across the world going in. Eliminating this one error could have helped us control the insurgent uprising faster, and ultimately brought Iraq to a much faster start. This one mistake was that we rushed into the war too early without first making a major effort to gain the support of the world before we jumped into a lake with a brick tied to our ankles. Our administrations don't always make the right decisions, and in this case they made a major error. The US and its few allies will still be successful in the end, however not without a big hit in the pocket book.

Carburetor

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Mr Carburetor]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

And always remember that if you go and shoot some guy saying that he shot you first and then move into his house, people are going to get suspicious if the guy doesn't own a gun and he has an oilfield in his front yard.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

And always remember that if you go and shoot some guy saying that he shot you first and then move into his house, people are going to get suspicious if the guy doesn't own a gun and he has an oilfield in his front yard.

Or if he DID shoot you first!!! and your intentions for resolution are not so irrational as those who fear your power and wanna incriminate you for any move you make irregardless of what the situation is!!!

Carburetor

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
First A, then invade North Korea and Iran. Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

First A, then invade North Korea and Iran.
With what troops?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join