It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comic books without super heroes...graphic novels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of traditional comics...maybe more of a graphic novel type style. But I found these very fun.

100 bullets
Y the last man
Die die die !!!
Southern bastatds
Crossed
Walking dead
Ice cream man
The preacher
Locke and key
DMZ
Criminal

Any recommendations?

Not a fan of super powers. More of a real world environment.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

I liked peep show by joe Matt, scott pilgram vs the world was way better than the movie, v for vendetta was pretty cool. I used to collect heavy metal comics for a while. Heavy metal is fantastic, some stories aren't so good, but there's a ton of amazing ones. i enjoy some manga, berzerk's probably my favourite, though i've lost faith it'll ever finish, akira's pretty cool, different than the movie, junji Ito's horror stories are pretty awesome.

Some other maybe bordering on superheroish I enjoyed was the watchmen, the first couple ninja turtles stories, judge dreadd.

Honestly, i've had trouble finding comics I like. I want to enjoy them, but a lot of them are just meh.

edit on 6/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I love books but occasionally I like the medium of Graphic novels. I thought the graphic novel treatment of Stephen King's The Stand was done very well. Likely a much better adaptation than the upcoming TV reboot. Supposedly working on a Dark Tower adaptation as well. Gonna check out some of the OP's suggestions. Forgot all about Heavy Metal need to look at that again too.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I love books but occasionally I like the medium of Graphic novels. I thought the graphic novel treatment of Stephen King's The Stand was done very well. Likely a much better adaptation than the upcoming TV reboot. Supposedly working on a Dark Tower adaptation as well. Gonna check out some of the OP's suggestions. Forgot all about Heavy Metal need to look at that again too.

Didint know they did a graphic novel of the stand..
Sounds interesting.

Heavy metal as well...I liked the movie.

For some reason I always wanted a twin peaks graphic novel.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Hard Boiled: www.amazon.com...
Maus: en.wikipedia.org...
Lone Wolf and Cub: en.wikipedia.org...
Akira: www.amazon.com...: ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Win d_(manga)

edit on 6-12-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Heres a few I like from over the years-I usually rate good artwork above all else,but I think most of these are great art and stories-I like sci fi/weird stories.Loved TWD and Locke and Key.

2000AD-Top UK comic,which you can get hard covers of all the best complied into full stories like:

Slaine(The Horned God,The Wickerman,Lord of Misrule,Books of Invasions 1-3)-Kind of Celtic mythology with Lovecraftian undercurrents!The Horned God-A masterpiece IMO-is a good place to start with Slaine if you haven't already.

ABC Warriors(The Volgan war)-Sentient off world Battle robots fighting a future war between neo commies/capitalists/earthlings.

Loads of others worth looking at from 2000AD-everyone knows Judge Dredd,but Rougue Trooper and Strontium Dog are top stories too.

Other good ones:

Dead Space (a few books)

30 days of night (Lots of books)

Silent Hill(Omnibus)

Cradlegrave

Stone Island

Aliens (Omnibus 1-6)-A loooong read,loads of extra xenomorph lore includingstuff which was included in Prometheus years later,and aliens brought to Earth,drugs made from xeno cells-Its great for fans of the films.

The art is top notch on all of them except for aliens(which is still pretty decent)-although it usually puts more detail into the creatures,which is OK because the story is great.

Some of those may be harder to get now-a few were rare when I got them over the last 20 0dd years.Worth looking out for though

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I suggest Yojimbo.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Sounds interesting.

Well you already got me reading Southern Bastards and I can tell already I'm gonna like it.

I also found out the Dark Tower is already out at least the first 2 issues are.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

Sounds interesting.

Well you already got me reading Southern Bastards and I can tell already I'm gonna like it.

I also found out the Dark Tower is already out at least the first 2 issues are.

Southern bastards is definitely one of my favorites and its still on going.
Some fun characters.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Transmetropolitan, it's about a journalist in a dystopian future.

My avatar is of the main character.

Edit: grey580 mentioned "Akira", i would like to throw Bartkira out there for anyone who would be into it.
edit on 7-12-2020 by wheresthebody because: more werdz

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Valerian, a sci fi series is quite good also
www.amazon.com...

Bluberry, a gritty Western. www.amazon.com...

Also good was The Killer, about a hitman

www.amazon.com...

All French but they have translations.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Black Monday murders

A walk through hell

The new Star Wars “Vader” series (so badass)

Dark souls age of fire

Monocyte (by Menton Matthews)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Some of these are too sci fi for me I think????

Love the recommendation through

I forgot some of my other favorites are

Kill or be killed

Nail biter

Harrow county,,,,,done in water color and works perfect with the story and setting

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I just got volumes 1-3 of The Stand....

Stephens king's book shortened into a graphic novel.

Very interesting to read especially during covid.

The art work is good

posted on Aug, 9 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I am working on making a new comic not involving super heroes if you are interested.

top topics

join