It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bulgaria To Reduce Iraq Military Presence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Bulgaria is the latest member of the "Coalition of the Willing" to announce plans to reduce its millitary forces in Iraq. The reduction of 100 soldiers in Iraq is about a quarter of their whole force there. The move could be the start of a complete withdrawal before the end of this year in time for Bulgarian elections.

story.news.yahoo.com
SOFIA (Reuters) - NATO newcomer Bulgaria said on Thursday it would reduce the number of its troops in Iraq by around a quarter in June and decide this month whether to pull out completely by the end of the year.

The Balkan U.S. ally has sent 450 infantrymen to Iraq but its centrist government has been under pressure to bring them home from the unpopular mission ahead of summer general elections

There is a significant decrease of around 100 troops in the fifth contingent in Iraq," Defense Minister Nikolai Svinarov told reporters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unfortunately I think these withdrawals (Poland, Italy, Ukraine and now Bulgaria) are matters of political reality rather than a snub of the American President. With a whopping dissaproval rate of 70% for the Iraq War in Bulgaria I am suprised that its taken this long for the withdrawal announcement.

Coming so close on the heels of the Italian announcement of a withdrawal I feel the chances of American military action in Iran and Syria is wanning. These troops are going to have to be replaced by American or British troops.

Britain has a general election in a couple of months so the chances of Britain sending more troops is non-existant.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'm tempted to point to this as a consensus on the invasion being unjustified, but that would be inaccurate. It's a natural progression. The job's done, the participating countries have shown their support for the U.S, the Iraqi government is finding its feet, and now they're pulling out. Interesting times ahead for Iraq.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
How dare you sir, how dare you make an impartial and reasonable comment on the situation. ......[/sarcasm]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Agreed, there will be people who see this as a "capitulation" or "weakness". There will be some people who will see this as a message to Bush. I see this as nothing more than governments ensuring their own re-elections whilst maintaining good relations with the USA.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
How dare you sir, how dare you make an impartial and reasonable comment on the situation. ......[/sarcasm]

Now that was a chuckle i sorely needed.

Now, back to being partisan. *repeats mantra* I am a liberal. I am a liberal... Wait...Liberal in Australia means conservative...I'm so confused...

top topics

join