It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes legislation to decriminalize marijuana at federal level

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
If I were in the Senate, I hack this bill up by removing the decriminalization in favor of legalizing medical while strengthening open container laws. And allow industrial hemp cultivation without a permit.

It allows for a wider diversification of the agricultural industry while promoting domestic textiles and further lessen dependence on foreign oil as hemp oil replaces petroleum in a multitude of products including fuel, paints, plastics and pharmaceuticals. The paper production alone will decrease CO2 levels by allowing longer lifespans for timber crops.

Although I'm actually for decriminalization even though I don't use the stuff, I'd tell you to submit that as a plan, but it makes too much sense. It'll never work.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Ahh yes congress spent Friday talking about pot and wild pussies, just like when they were teenagers

Harr? It never stopped after they were teenagers. What do you think they do with all their powers and money?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

If it gets legalized, which I don't doubt since Trump said that if a bill came in front of him about this and it made sense he would sign it. Tell me that RJ Reynolds won't switch a lot of their defunct tobacco fields to pot.

Small business owners buying pot from local grow farms will get pushed out of business for the megastores and large scale distribution dealers.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

HUGE difference between Legalized and Decriminalized. Decriminalized can be a small fine akin to a parking ticket; if you have small amount AND it is not divided out for possible individual sales. But consider that alcohol is legal but open container is not. And very few smaller bottles have seals so are literally “open containers” especially flask sized bottles.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Don't get too excited. It goes to the senate from here,

There's the problem. Republicans hate the devil's lettuce for some reason.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Yeah. Basically what happened here. It turned into a government mandated monopoly where the big companies that can pay the fees are legal and the rest are continuing to operate in the grey area where profits are higher, there's more selection, the quality's better, and the benefits are higher for the end consumer.

There's right ways and wrong ways to legalization.

Decriminalization federally though goes a long way, it lets States decide.

Canada's different in the way our federal and provincial governments work. Our federal laws trump provincial ones in many things. The Federal laws here set the precedent towards large corporations and provincial laws just tend to get more strict from there.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
House Votes to Decriminalize Marijuana at Federal Level

The Democrat-majority House voted 228-164, largely along party lines, to lift the federal prohibition. But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, is an opponent of the change, meaning a decriminalization proposal is unlikely to see Senate action unless Democrats manage to win both Georgia Senate seats, and with them Senate control, in a Jan. 5 runoff election.

twitter.com...

H.R. 3884, MARIJUANA OPPORTUNITY REINVESTMENT AND EXPUNGEMENT ACT OF 2020 [PDF]

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
What truly disgusts me is that all politicians hold up legislation that would benefit people until they themselves can profit from it.

It's a distraction. Anything to get people to turn their heads away from the other mess in Washington D.C.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Republicans hate the devil's lettuce for some reason.

What's cheaper: Smoke a joint -- Get a prescription pain med refilled?

Republicans have an iron grip on the insurance industry.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I have a medical prescription card and on average I spend more for cigarettes than I do for a prescription. I appreciate that it is government inspected for purity.

As far as cigarette taxes are concerned, they justified all of these excess taxes by claiming smokers incur excessive medical bills but that is a lie. Over the span of a smoker's lifetime they incur less medical expenses than people that live into their 80s/90s. Just a side note about illegal taxation.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Of course they are.
They are guided by liberals that their only goals in life are to sit around and get wasted.
That makes them much easier to control by the Democratic leadership and a guarantee they will keep voting Democrat .

From a liberal "child" of the 70s and someone who knows.

Edit to Add : There is a reason we called it "wasted"
Goth
edit on 12/4/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I know you're probably half joking, and in all reality this isn't the most pressing issue...

But I still wouldn't minimize it. Not the top of my list, but the spending on war on drugs, legal costs, and incarceration all for this plant are immense.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
That might save them from the noose for cheating on the election. But Trump will still be President.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Of course they are.
They are guided by liberals that their only goals in life are to sit around and get wasted.
That makes them much easier to control by the Democratic leadership and a guarantee they will keep voting Democrat .

Goth

Alcohol is the one that they use to control people. They don't want you to use sensible amounts of Cannabis because it makes you wise.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I've never been wasted on pot... Sounds fun.

But I think you're right. We should just keep spending billions of dollars a year telling people what to do because we don't agree with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow
House Votes to Decriminalize Marijuana at Federal Level

The Democrat-majority House voted 228-164, largely along party lines, to lift the federal prohibition. But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, is an opponent of the change, meaning a decriminalization proposal is unlikely to see Senate action unless Democrats manage to win both Georgia Senate seats, and with them Senate control, in a Jan. 5 runoff election.

twitter.com...

H.R. 3884, MARIJUANA OPPORTUNITY REINVESTMENT AND EXPUNGEMENT ACT OF 2020 [PDF]

Thanks for posting this. It's always good to look under the hood.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I'm sure the bill is far from perfect.

But I think it's ironic the complaint from the right will be regulation and taxing.

Right now it costs taxpayers dollars to keep it illegal, which is as heavily regulated as it gets

People will buy it anyways, untaxed.

And while I hate taxes, I would be fine with people paying a luxury tax on pot given our deficit.

I'd give more credence to critisim from republican lawmakers if they proposed a better bill. But they'd rather keep blowing billions a year on a plant far less harmful in everyway than alcohol.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm sure their bill is totally evil and nefarious. But I have relatives in another state that need to use is medicinally. They've made it death penalty illegal to send it across the state boarders. I'm getting sick of the "Nanny States of America".

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

There's no way there's death penalty for any kind of pot distribution.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

originally posted by: Gothmog
Of course they are.

Goth

Alcohol is the one that they use to control people. They don't want you to use sensible amounts of Cannabis because it makes you wise.

Ain't as effective though

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join