It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Only Dark When Your Eyes Are Closed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Even in the darkest of nights, you can still see, there is always a glimmer of light somewhere to illuminate your path, but when you close your eyes and refuse to open them you'll be in the dark and will remain so until you choose to open them again.

Sorry SO and Soficrow, no offense to either of you, but I'm sick of all the bickering and drama that your threads have brought. The two threads again show how divided and polarized we have all become. No longer is it acceptable to have different views without choosing sides. It's as if the entire world is preparing for a great war and each and every one of us is being forced to pick a side.

Why can't you people just open your eyes and see that we all see things differently? And if you see that, why can't you just accept that people will have opposing opinions.

Someone sharing an opinion different from yours, doesn't threaten you unless your opinion was weakly based to begin with, that's the only way someone saying something you don't agree with could hurt you, but then is it that person's fault for making you question yourself?

To solve this problem that ATS seems to be facing, I ask each and everyone of you to think before you type. Do I have anything to contribute to this thread? Do I agree or disagree with this person? Am I really trying to learn something ? Am I trying to educate? Now carefully formulate your response in a polite manner (meaning don't call people dickheads and pricks or whatever vulgarity you may have in mind, bite your tongue) You may think whatever you want, but out of courtesy for your fellow human being, think before you speak. Some of us have tough skins and words do not bother us, others are more softer and delicate, but we can't know this without personally knowing a person, so out of common courtesy and respect for your fellow man, bite your tongue. You can criticize an idea, without being hateful, harsh and crude. Name Calling, Labelling in general is the issue that most here seem to have a problem with.

Now let's say you're doing your part as a courteous member and someone newer comes along unfamiliar with our standards of etiquette, you have choices, either address them in a polite manner via u2 what they are doing wrong, many new members would rise to meet our standards if they knew what they were doing wrong. You could also use the suggestion form, or u2 a moderator, quietly pointing them to the offense and finally you can choose to use your ignore button or your own ignore mechanism, not replying to threads or posts that irritate you. Silence can be deafening, and usually gets the point across to the offending person.

So please Open your Eyes. (and bite that tongue)

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have always tried to be polite to everyone I encounter in life and on the net. I don't always succeed and fall into the trap, like everyone else has at least once in thier lifetime. I really hope people take your words to heart.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I agree with you.

I have had my differences with many on this board, but always try to keep it lighthearted, and do not resort to name calling or outright bashing of others.
The majority of those on this board seem to be intelligent, and to be civil - even when in total disagreement with another - isn't asking too terribly much IMHO.
Again, well said WW.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi worldwatcher!

Thanx for an excellent post - I found it very profound, insightful and full of sound reasoning.

ATS is successful (IMO after a very short time here admittedly) becuase it has a catholic approach - it appeals to all and caters for all tastes. To use another religious analogy - we are a broad church.

But within this gathering of like-minded people, we need to be sensitive to the views of others - and that needs open eyes as you suggest. We could all benefit from "counting to ten" before hitting the "post" button - basic netiquette, of course - but sometimes we can overlook the basics in our eagerness to make our voices heard.

Top post - thank you again.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Great post Worldwatcher..........

It seems that nowadays if people disagree with each other they turn to attacking each other and taking things to a personal level.

Myself if people disagree with me thats fine............we are all entitled to our own opinions but I wont berate them for it.

Lets face it if we all agreed with each other the world would become a pretty boring place.

The diversity of age, people and gender on this site makes ATS the best place for discussion and debating.

At the end of the day we are all differant and have differant opinions.

If you dont agree with a person's views or opinions............respect them for their thoughts.......................and move on.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
You could also use your own ignore mechanism, not replying to threads or posts that irritate you. Silence can be deafening, and usually gets the point across to the offending person.

This is a good tactic.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Great post Worldwatcher....

You have voted worldwatcher for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Some of the ideas mentioned in the great research project sounds to me like we are heading toward the "slippery slope".

All of your ideas are appropriate and perhaps members could try to follow them because we want this board to be good. I came here to listen to other ideas when discussed in a reasonable way.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
no offence to world but you sound like ghandi with the use your words thing any ways i think that they should get along and stop with the bickerig it is making me sick

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Great post, worldwatcher. I fail to see how partisanship can be fought in any open forum like ATS. It's called life, people, and it involves debate, argument, agreeing to disagree, etc.

When they came out and said, "ATS is being invaded by racists", I listened. When they came out and said, "ATS is being invaded by partisan arguments", I was mystified.

Why would S.O. alter the graphics of the board (and therefore the overall mood of the board) without being more clear about what he wants from the members? I mean, isn't it him and OneSac that essentially run the place? I don't see any posts from Simon Grey so I have no idea who's in charge, actually.

Whoever's in charge could easily "save" ATS if it actually needs saving. So why don't they do it then? Forgive my disinterest in this whole drama, I'm too busy reading the excellent website that is AboveTopSecret.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Great post, worldwatcher. I fail to see how partisanship can be fought in any open forum like ATS. It's called life, people, and it involves debate, argument, agreeing to disagree, etc.

When they came out and said, "ATS is being invaded by racists", I listened. When they came out and said, "ATS is being invaded by partisan arguments", I was mystified.

Why would S.O. alter the graphics of the board (and therefore the overall mood of the board) without being more clear about what he wants from the members? I mean, isn't it him and OneSac that essentially run the place? I don't see any posts from Simon Grey so I have no idea who's in charge, actually.

Whoever's in charge could easily "save" ATS if it actually needs saving. So why don't they do it then? Forgive my disinterest in this whole drama, I'm too busy reading the excellent website that is AboveTopSecret.

I think SO's initial post was quite clear on the seperation the media has had on the membership. Right vs Left. It has invaded our forum. Divided the membership, taken ATS back several steps. That's probably why, we were progressing and that's a threat to the status quo. We need to take ATS back from this tripe.

Who runs ATS, everyone here really but the day to day operations are handle by the staff, led by SkepticOverlord, Simon, WOS, Bob88, in no particular order. Why did SO use the "drama" you state, I can't speak for him but I'm assuming it was because he feels deeply about this. I'm glad you're enjoying the forums, maybe we all can in the near future. Forgive the drama.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

It has invaded our forum. Divided the membership, taken ATS back several steps.

I respect that, and I would never presume to know the history of ATS the way you or SO and the others do. You guys have made this place awesome and I'm just one more dude posting here. The mods and SysOps (as we used to call them) are the ones who make ATS turn.

My question is this: Before the several steps backward, what was the general feeling on ATS? Were there no dems or repubs? Or are you saying that those groups were still here, but that there was an agreement not to discuss politics? I think we could use some clarification here as to what has exactly been lost. What was ATS like before the dark days, specifically how has it degraded?

Break out the finger puppets for me if you need to. I can be pretty dense at times.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
My question is this: Before the several steps backward, what was the general feeling on ATS? Were there no dems or repubs? Or are you saying that those groups were still here, but that there was an agreement not to discuss politics? I think we could use some clarification here as to what has exactly been lost. What was ATS like before the dark days, specifically how has it degraded?

Break out the finger puppets for me if you need to. I can be pretty dense at times.

Before it was possible to see another persons point of view. Now, with the rift, righty vs lefty, people don't listen to each other anymore. Just take the opposing stance, whether you believe in it or not. Not condusive to though or growth. But I have faith that we can grow past this.

All it takes is a willingness to STOP, LISTEN, THINK.

That's not a difficult thing to do, unplug from what the system is feeding you.

Personally I see the Left as culpable as the Right. I think they're one of the same. Both of them want to own us, they just use different ways of accomplishing their goals.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think people should stop taking politics so damn seriously.

Politicans come and go, your reputation on ATS does not. It stays.

While I have a great interest in politics, it's not something to get obsessive about, and quite honestly, it's something that will be over in x amount of years (insert your country's term length here) so why get worked up?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Personally I see the Left as culpable as the Right. I think they're one of the same. Both of them want to own us, they just use different ways of accomplishing their goals.

I'm with you, but how is this news? If I meet a dem or a repub, I generally lump them into the 'less-aware' catagory. I'm not trying to sound condescending by saying that, it's just so utterly obvious that both parties are two sides of the same, evil coin. In my opinion, anyone who supports or stumps for either side has a lot to learn. Isn't that obvious? S.O. says that it's "brilliant" the way the divisivness has been organized, but is it really? It seems like the same two-party bickering that has always indicated a non-thinking person, in my opinion. Why are these drone-like two-party loyalists' opinions weighed or valued by anyone?

I had this argument the other day with a friend:

SP: "The two-party system is corrupt and it needs to be scrapped"
HIM: "Yeah but Americans won't do that."
SP: "Then they will continue to be mislead by the "Punch n' Judy" show of the two-party system"
HIM: "Yeah, well that's just the way people are."
SP: "So they'd rather have their party-loyalties then save their country?"
HIM: "I don't know. Jeez! Quit asking stupid questions!"

...I'm guessing this conversation will go much the same with most dems or repubs. IMO, they should just be tuned out or patiently patted on the head, not praised for being "brilliant". Let them have their loyalties. It means little to those of us who can see the truth.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
no offence but what the hell is with this "dark days" stuff???

ATS was better without this "warning"...

lets get back to the good ol' days and be positive again...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wise words World. I agree with you but I also agree with Skeptic in the fact that this problem needs to be addressed. In todays world everyone seems to be on the defensive (one can hardly blame them) so rash outbursts are going to be common place. It's as if everyone is trigger happy and they are firing their mouths off before they load their brains. I believe that if everyone would just listen, process the information, and then respond this site and, for that matter, the world would be a much better place.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Sorry SO and Soficrow, no offense to either of you, but I'm sick of all the bickering and drama that your threads have brought. The two threads again show how divided and polarized we have all become. No longer is it acceptable to have different views without choosing sides.(and bite that tongue)

"You have voted worldwatcher for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month."

Simply for having the balls to say what many are thinking worldwatcher. Amidst all the fighting and blatant arsekissing, it is refreshing to see someone speak out. Well done!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
no offence but what the hell is with this "dark days" stuff???

ATS was better without this "warning"...

lets get back to the good ol' days and be positive again...

I agree with they see all what is up with all the dark day stuff

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've used up all my wank awards for the month, so I'll give you a vote at the first of next month, worldwatcher.

I will find all the "OMG TEH HAXOR NW0 IS SPLTING J00!" threads extremly funny if the US ever brings in a MMP system

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
please stop. don't waste your votes on my post, I don't like that white background and that medal would distract from my beautiful avatars

now seriously thanks to everyone for all your kind words and votes so far but it's really not necessary or wanted. I appreciate your contribution and I am glad we have our eyes open

[edit on 3-18-2005 by worldwatcher]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join