It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVID-19 vaccines may be less effective for racial minorities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm really not too sure what to say about this, there's been some odd stories over the year about the supposed 'racial biases' of covid. I guess this extends to the upcoming vaccine too. Apparently, using 'advanced ai machine learning's researchers have determined the upcoming vaccines are less effective in Asians and black people.

www.csail.mit.edu...

This week, researchers at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL) showed that the vaccines’ effectiveness may vary depending on a person’s race, and said that the vaccines should be tested robustly across populations with diverse genetic backgrounds. 

Using advanced machine learning AI methods that examined a form of vaccine similar to Moderna and Pfizer’s, the team found that the number of people whose immune system didn’t robustly respond to the vaccine ranged from less than half of one percent of white participants to nearly 10 percent of Asian participants.

There are obviously many other factors to consider, but our preliminary results suggest that, on average, people of Black or Asian ancestry could have a slightly increased risk of vaccine ineffectiveness,” says MIT professor David Gifford, senior author of a new paper outlining the findings. “Our work shows that clinical trials need to carefully consider ancestry in their study designs to ensure that efficacy is measured across an appropriate population.”

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

If you want to put a real conspiratorial spin on it,

look at death rates esp percentages... Which groups are dying, which aren't..

Makes you say hmmmmmm

Here's a hint, it's not Asians..

On a realistic viewpoint, Asians are usually more healthy, and weigh less.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Lets see what Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, and BLM says....

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

But....but....we have been ASSURED by the Left that race and gender is just a "social construct"....

....nvm...
........ standard anti-science anti-human drivel by the Left, doing what the Left does best: KILL PEOPLE....

edit on 2-12-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Lol so the vaccine is racist.

Or maybe black people just don’t eat right. Maybe they should lay off the food stamps?

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I read some articles about Blacks having more risk and what they thought may be causing the risk. It comes down to diet more than genetics. They eat a lot of hot foods and sauces, which with this particular virus is a negative if it is constantly consumed. It has more to do with improper immune response turning the virus covid than with the virus itself. I have not researched genetics of the African Americans that much to evaluate differences, the gene apps do have information on which differences are expressed by different groups, like Europeans, Asians, and African people, some even focus on smaller groups. Nothing I read in this had a relationship to viruses or vaccine effectiveness though. Many Europeans have FUT2 genetics that help protect them from viruses, but I have not yet seen if that is relevant to Covid. It has more to do with H antigens in muccous throughout the body, but I do not know how that would protect against covid.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Sounds like this is the beginning of a Democrat organized effort to sabotage the vaccine ❗🚨

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I was listening to Joe's new Covid Task Force leader this morning and she was pointing out that the main thrust of the vaccination dispersal would first be to minority groups because of systemic racism.

Oddly enough, I did not hear her say that Democratic leadership will forgo their vaccinations for the good of minorities.

I pointed this out on ATS two weeks ago because it was easy to call in advance.

So Hollywood types, rich Democrats and the Democratic leadership will get their vaccinations, THEN minorities, then eventually maybe the white middle class...

edit on 2-12-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I read some articles about Blacks having more risk and what they thought may be causing the risk. It comes down to diet more than genetics. They eat a lot of hot foods and sauces, which with this particular virus is a negative if it is constantly consumed.

I've been reading more about this.
From what I've read, Onions, garlic and hot pepper should not be consumed regularly.
They are medicinal and should be used in that manner.

Would love to hear what you've read on it.

Korean people eat garlic and spicy foods at almost every meal, and are considered one of the most
healthy people on the planet.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Italians too, and I know a #load of italians that live to like 100 lol

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL

You want to know what's crazy, a lot of those old living Italians eat
carbs (gasp) all their lives!!

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Those old fashioned italians are nuts. You go over there house for a visit, and they fill the table with meats and cheeses like I only see on thanksgiving

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

No. Not the vaccine, but the AI that they used to run the test. Probably developed by some white guy.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I read some articles about Blacks having more risk and what they thought may be causing the risk. It comes down to diet more than genetics. They eat a lot of hot foods and sauces, which with this particular virus is a negative if it is constantly consumed.

From what I've read, Onions, garlic and hot pepper should not be consumed regularly.

Korean people eat garlic and spicy foods at almost every meal, and are considered one of the most

The onions and garlic work good with this virus, but high amounts of the hot chemical in some peppers causes the immune system to not work as good if overconsumed. A little hot is good, but too much can overload and dampen receptors that govern proper immune response. Just like anything, too much too often is not good.

Think of it like this, you put red hot on your back for pain, and it initially burns like hell till it overloads the pain nerve receptors and then the pain goes away. It does the same with our nervous system and our nervous system and brain which is part of our nervous system get messed up. Too much niacin can also do that, but niacin is not hot like capsinum or whatever they call it, so it does not effect nerves as much. Nicotine can do the same thing, smoking cigarettes can kill pain.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Those old fashioned italians are nuts. You go over there house for a visit, and they fill the table with meats and cheeses like I only see on thanksgiving

Yeah, and usually the Italian meats and cheeses they put out are really good. They may have cheap substitutes for those who are not friends though. I had a few old Italian friends, both masons, they would get their round of cheese sent in from Italy and split it up. I got a little chunk of the parmesian from my old mason, the little chunk was only maybe two pounds. He paid over three hundred bucks for that chunk of cheese he bought plus shipping from Italy. I savored that cheese, it was great....I wasn't sharing that cheese with anyone, if they wanted some they had to come visit. The two brothers made their own cudighi and all sorts of real Italian sausages, made in a special basement processing room and hung to age in a room with temperature control with a sand floor and sawdust on the floor to retain the proper microbes in the room.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

But....but....we have been ASSURED by the Left that race and gender is just a "social construct"....

....nvm...
........ standard anti-science anti-human drivel by the Left, doing what the Left does best: KILL PEOPLE....

Yep. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill the poor and deny it.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

You want to know what's crazy, a lot of those old living Italians eat
carbs (gasp) all their lives!!

Yes but isn't there at least anecdotal evidence that their daily wine consumption with dinner is actually beneficial

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I sometimes 'identify' as a 'white korean' since I almost married one (dodged! - not the race the woman) lived and work there and speak it conversationally fluently. I eat chili pepper flavoured spicy foods at least once a week and I have not had a cold or gotten a fever except once in the last decade and that was this last december 2019 when this 'snip' hit.
I think hot foods protect your immune system and build it up because they have a lot of anti inflammatory properties as well as cleaning out your system.

I can't believe it's been a year since this # has been going on!

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Do you mean stone mason or free mason?

RE lots of money on deli products, I spent 400$ on prosciutto for my wife's birthday. She almost fainted.
It's still hanging in the kitchen.

its SO good.

Its direct from italy. the whole leg.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

The onions and garlic work good with this virus, but high amounts of the hot chemical in some peppers causes the immune system to not work as good if overconsumed. A little hot is good, but too much can overload and dampen receptors that govern proper immune response. Just like anything, too much too often is not good.

Think of it like this, you put red hot on your back for pain, and it initially burns like hell till it overloads the pain nerve receptors and then the pain goes away. It does the same with our nervous system and our nervous system and brain which is part of our nervous system get messed up. Too much niacin can also do that, but niacin is not hot like capsinum or whatever they call it, so it does not effect nerves as much. Nicotine can do the same thing, smoking cigarettes can kill pain.

Honestly Ricky, I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. JAG is not incorrect, I lived in Seoul and ate exclusively Korean food from Day One, my dad was a stickler for the full-on culture immersion & a HUUUUGE fan of as spicy as food gets (and IMO, if it doesn't melt your lips off your face, it's not spicy enough kimchi) NONE of us got sick for the entire year+ we lived there. Not even a cold. We ate kimchi, daily. And it wasn't mild by any means.

Even as an adult, I took that to heart and the first thing I reach for when I DO get sick isn't OTC cold meds, or even the solid tried & true herbal remedies -- it's habaneros. I eat one raw, or steep it and drink it like a broth and eat the pieces (aaand half the forum runs away in horror) each day and that generally cuts my colds down to Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Ma'am lengths -- 2-3 days max & I'm fine again with no lingering anything. If I amp it up to one a day, sick or not, then when I do get sick, it's very infrequently -- once a year on average. I have to keep up on that daily intake, or it doesn't give me that boost as well.

There's definitely something to hot peppers bolstering the immune system. I'd wager it has more than a little something to do with the high levels of vitamins & antioxidants they tend to be packed to the gills with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join