It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Proposal.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Morning lads and lasses.

I have an idea, and I would like some input on this idea. Why don't we, the Aircraft Projects section, really distinguish ourselves by designing a small aircraft all together.
In here we've got the aviation industry people, not to mention engineers and other assorted brains, so it's not beyond our capability.

I think it's entirely possible if we work together on it.

What say you?

RAB

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Like the idea the first thing to do is decide is the roles of the AC, the thing that kills projects is people moving the goal posts and not setting real goals early in the project.

So the role is ? (Discuss!) :-)

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Lets say (and this is obviously open to discussion) a single seat joyriding AC, if you know what I mean (it's 0235 so I might not be quite so coherant
)

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This is a neat idea

Does anyone else here have X-Plane? It may make for a good "canvas" so to speak.

(ps- if you don't have x-plane, i can tell you that it it worth *every* cent if you're big on flying and flight sims. check out www.x-plane.com)

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Single seat, two engines, thrust vectoring, jet maneuvring surfaces instead of classical, STOL, weapons inside, for bombing missions external underwing bomb bays or pods, wing in M or W profile without tail.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Looks identical to that of the f14

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I already started a thread on designing a fighter aircraft so i'm familiar with this subject, i'm in...

I think it's best we design a civil aircraft styled after a high-tech warbird...Kinda like the Stavatti thing, but this time for real...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I like that idea. Perhaps it could be a twin seater then, a la the Harvard.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
We can start with this.

The last third of wing has in its standard position angle 45 degrees for so called compression lift. Conical body underneath the center of a wing would push the air to the side, increasing pressure under the wing section, thereby increasing lift with far less drag than simply increasing the size of the wing itself. During slow speed, take off and landing it has angle 0 degrees for maximal lift and it can use mechanized leading edge. Position at 75 degrees is ideal for close air combat, when it can be used as ruddervator and manoeuvre jet nozzle can help with radical pitch moving.

Jet manoevring system consist of air intake under fuselage next to front gear leg, electricaly or fuel powered fan, air flow splitter and jet nozzles. It weights more than standard manoevring surfaces, but it is more stealthy and can operate independently on aircrafts speed.

RAB

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
All I want for Christmas is a Civ F-20 :-)

Carbon Fiber body and a RR Adour jet engine, fly by wire, and take off all the millitary specs and the ejection seat.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Hey,

I have one small problem with this idea, how many of the people on this thread have two jet engines in their back yard? lol If some one does, god bless you, but the average joe doesn't, the only thing that we could manage would be petrol converted car engine.

By the way, I am in, if you want any help on the electrical systems/countermeasures, just call out

- Philip

PS I Found this wee design that I made a few years ago, based on a pusher propeller design, so I suppose you could make it longer for a bomb bay, but its sorta went the the Su 27 design

[edit on 21-3-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Nice pictures!

It doesn't really matter if we don't have an engine to spare since if the design is desirable we could buy a pattent and possibly sell it...

Otherwise, if you are brave enough, we could build our own

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hey Matej, thats a really beautiful looking plane, i like it alot! I was gonna attempt a conceptional design myself when i saw the thread title, but I doubt i could could make anything comparable with that.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
That picture looks good, just few notes -
Why that "jet maneuvravring surfaces" instead of normal?
And why not tail?
The engine exhausts should be rectangular to lower IR emisions.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
::grins:: Why do I sense a F/A-22 vs Su34 battle then! lol

I love the first design but the non conventual control systems would make it very expensive and then more complex and harder to put it together.

::kicks the dirt and starts building the Su style vairant!:: lol

- Philip

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think the plane should be both economically and ecologically sound. We can build the plane from recycled soda and beer cans, glass bottles, and plastic juggs and bags. Maybe there is a way to take an existing aircraft (from a graveyard) and simply 'restructure' it to fit design modifications. Could it be solar powered?

Is there a way to obtain an 'outside source' to sponsor this idea? I mean to say is, has anyone every constructed aplane in this regard (over the internet)? Maybe this could draw in some sort of publicity and cut down on cost. We would have to make it a unique project to acquire any financial backing other than from our own pockets (if you wish to trek this way). Say for example there is some sort of new experimental fuel additive, avionic device, alloy, or what not waiting to be tested on such a plane by a big (or small) name company. I'll get back on this idea after some clever thinking.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Ouha... Does it mean that we are going to build REAL and CIVIL plane? I think that I must better read the posts for the next time. Some work will be done on civil proposal, I could post it later, mabye this week.

And questions:
Jet manoevring system is usefull on military plane because it allowed higher agility and could work independently on speed. It is also more stealthy.
Tail is not necessary, when you have this type of wing. It produces more drag and as was written before, its funcion is transfered to jet manoevring system, engines with thrust vectoring and FBW.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well we obviously can't build it over the internet
but I was thinking we design the whole thing, right down to the last bolt. My thoughts were for a civil, prop AC for simplicities sake, but I will defer to what the members want to do.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Here is my proposal for a Co-In aircraft featured in another thread:

with the large wing area I hope to increase the manauverability at low speeds, it has some stealth features, but not designed specifically for stealth, it will be flying low and under the radar...

Ofcourse this design can easilly be converted to a civil aircraft.

[edit on 22/3/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I like it.

Bump, BTW. It's amazing how quickly things get down the list here

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join