It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Target Practice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot
Got a pellet gun at 5 .22 before 10, first shotgun at 12 etc etc. Some people are past childhood and don't have time for another one. Some people start out with boom boom guns. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I know a bunch of people who never held a gun before basic training.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

originally posted by: nerbot
a reply to: Rasputin13

Is this an anti gun advert?

Get an AIRGUN and learn to shoot BEFORE you kill yourself or someone you love with a machine designed to KILL.

Pellets don't usually go through much flesh.

Mm. I'm reminiscing on the days of my childhood of having to dig pellets out of my arms, back, and ass cheeks.

I have had .22 pellet guns in the 1,000 fps range.."it will kill!", to quote that Forged In Fire dude.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

They definitely can. I've actually seen a kid shoot his eye out. He thought his glasses would stop the pellet. Now, he gets to do party tricks with his fake eye.

He told me one night that they told his parents after the surgery that he was lucky because it could have easily became lodged in his brain.

Despite that I've seen enough "small game" go down from pellets. Not to mention that people seem to think that they'll just brush off a .22 pellet in their lungs or heart.

I knew a guy who has had severe back pain most of his life, because he has a BB lodged in his spine and the doctors didn't want to remove it at the time, because they felt the risk of paralysis was too high.

Hell, I consider myself lucky that me and my dumbass friends didn't seriously permanently injure each other. We shot each other in the ass and backs enough that we got pretty good at digging those SOBs out and saying that we "Don't know what's that from."

BB/pellet guns are excellent tools for kids to learn proper handling and safety awareness and whatever. I know many people consider them toys, but they're not when they are in the hands of undisciplined people.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Is this an anti gun advert?

Get an AIRGUN and learn to shoot BEFORE you kill yourself or someone you love with a machine designed to KILL.

Pellets don't usually go through much flesh.

Dude, are you a slow adult? Pretty amazing that you took away from my post what literally no one else here did. Maybe you should lay off the lead paint chips and crack for a while.

At no point did I ever say that I don't know how to or have never shot before. I have shot at the range before and even took a course from a professional instructor. I said I was new to gun ownership, not that I never had one. I am trying to learn as much about my gun as possible and I will get some range time in. I am looking at this from every possible angle and asking for advice from people who know a lot more than me. You are acting like I bought a gun and am now walking around town with it strapped to my hip like I'm Butch Cassidy. On the contrary, it is locked in a safe, unloaded and also has a trigger lock on it. I have no intention of using it until I am well trained and familiar with it, hence the reason for my post.

People like yourself, who are lead paint dumb, are the epitome of everything that is wrong with the internet.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to actually read and comprehend my post and give me your advice.
edit on 1-12-2020 by Rasputin13 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2020 by Rasputin13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Snap caps...they used to be called. So you can dry fire without wrecking gun.
It looks like a bullet, but has a spring the firing pin can hit.
Then maybe a laser aim like crimson trace, if it has mounts, or works w trigger guard.
You can practice your draw without shooting your leg off your leg.

". . .without shooting your leg off your leg. . ."

TEE HEE

But yes, you make a good point.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Dry fire drills.

Also, if you have the money, there are laser based trainers with recoil kits.

Most of shooting a gun accurately resides in trigger manipulation. So dry fire a lot.

I thought dry firing ruined the pin? (sorry if you've already answered this, ignore my question if you have)

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Nice. My dad bought me a Winchester 20 gauge when I was 9 (1988). I bruised my little noodle shoulder after 3 shots but I was proud of that bruise. He worked in the oilfield a lot so no time to hunt, and over the years I forgot about it. He pulled it down in 2011 and gave it to me, but when I tried to shoot it, nothing happened. I assume the pin froze up and really need to go get it fixed.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

That used to be the case. These days striker fired weapons don't suffer from the impingement deformation that firing pins used to have. Back when this was a problem, most guns were hammer fired and beat up the firing pin pretty good.

This is also an issue for many revolvers and now they are regularly supplied with snapcaps or a pin block insert for the cylinder.

posted on Dec, 1 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I'd like to point out that the OP displayed what is typically called "responsibility" in seeking further training and advice. If there was a text book answer for how to be a new gun owner the OP is it.

Way to lead by example.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I'd like to point out that the OP displayed what is typically called "responsibility" in seeking further training and advice. If there was a text book answer for how to be a new gun owner the OP is it.

Way to lead by example.

Thank you. That's what my intention was. I am literally trying to do everything I can until I can get to the range. I never thought someone would actually attack me for asking questions and trying to do my homework.

There is actually a waiting list for a gun safety class at the store where I purchased mine. They used to do one a month, but now due to demand they are doing them every weekend and still selling out weeks ahead. I also intend to take another shooting lesson (it's been a few years) with my new gun at a nearby range.

It's hard to adequately emphasize what an imbecile that nerbot fella is. I can only hope that he is not reproducing and passing his low IQ to another generation. Sorry to get snippy, but his moronic comments really irked me.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
We use the app "shootoff" with Laserlyte inserts in our real firearms. We use snap caps even though just about everything we have can be dry fired. It helped the kids with trigger control as you can see the dot on the screen as well as the dot squirm around if you have poor control. Both kids could clean a Texas Star before age 10 because of learning proper trigger control.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Two things that haven't been mentioned. One. If you are going to carry concealed, carry the weapon. Don't just carry it when you are going someplace where you think you will need it. Carry it all of the time. You have to get used to having it on you. You don't want to be constantly adjusting your holster. If you are carrying in a shoulder holster, you might want to get used to not automatically removing your jacket. If you are carrying in a belt holster, you need to think about what to do with the weapon if you have to use the restroom. It sounds stupid until you do it. You should have seen the look on the nurse's face when I took off my jacket in the doctor's office and there was my pistol.

Two. Practice your reload. Especially if you live someplace where you have to carry reduced size mags.

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
In regard to laser systems, I use the mantis laser academy product. It has a handful of training options and they've got a few other cool products too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join