It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F1 : Romain Grosjean's miraculous escape from fireball crash which tore car in half

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The Bahrain Grand Prix has now restarted following Romain Grosjean's miraculous escape from his burning Team Haas car following a crash which tore his car in two.
It's a testament to the drivers fireproof racing suit that Romain has reportedly suffered broken ribs and minor burns to his hands and feet given the time he was in the fire.

*WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS FOOTAGE OF, AND FROM THE AFTERMATH OF, ROMAIN GROSJEAN'S CRASH.*
Extraordinary footage shows Haas driver Romain Grosjean escaping from an inferno which engulfed his car following a crash in the first lap of the Bahrain Grand Prix which tore his car in two.
Grosjean was taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution with minor burns to his hands and ankles.

It's a reminder that although F1 cars often seem to be on rails motor sport is still a dangerous occupation and when it goes bad it can go very bad.

Get well soon Romain , you're a lucky boy.

edit on 29-11-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Wow spectacular crash. A bit unusual that it burst into flames on impact, no?
Praise the car developers for the safeness of the driver's seat and the manufacturers of the fireproof racing suit. Years ago that would have resulted in death.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I think it caught fire because the car split in two through the force of the impact but yeah not so long ago that would probably of resulted in a fatality , luckily Romain wasn't knocked unconscious by the impact otherwise things could have been far worse.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The Halo safety feature is probably what saved his life. The lack of the same feature is what killed Jules Bianchi in the 2014 GP at Suzuka.

I can't remember a worse accident than this one in 40+ years of watching F1. Truly scary and a relief to see Romain safe.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I've not been a fan of the Halo but it seems today it proved its worth.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I thought he was probably dead when I saw live. Lucky man, hope he doesn't get the Ricky Bobby syndrome.

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Here's a 3D animation analysis of the accident. If it is accurate Romain was lucky to have had an escape route between the safety cell, halo and the guardrail. If he were a cat he's used up 8.9 of his 9 lives.

new topics

top topics

join