It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah’s desert obelisk has disappeared

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
What's the going scrap value for stainless steel? I'm asking for a friend.

Why are you asking? Do you have an obelisk for sale?

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: Willtell

I would wager to guess whoever put it there, a person or group, has come to recover it now that is has received so much attention. Perhaps it was a meeting spot for a group, or had particular meaning to a person. By exposing it, it's been ruined.

That's good Amelia, very good. I think that is a great possibility of being the truth

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: Ameilia

I would wager to guess whoever put it there, a person or group, has come to recover it now that is has received so much attention. Perhaps it was a meeting spot for a group, or had particular meaning to a person. By exposing it, it's been ruined.

That's good Amelia, very good. I think that is a great possibility of being the truth

Really? I think that's highly unlikely

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1
It's all speculation. But I think Amelia's idea makes sense.

But this is a great idea for a movie. I think I'll think about a screenplay. Got to put a lot more drama in it though...like a corpse was left after they took it with a mysterious Sumerian script left that when interpreted reads: go ____ yourself mankind.

Except, I wonder what would be the Sumerian word for f____

edit on 29-11-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You know the going price for stainless steel.....

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I thought about that.

The Utah monolith was a metallic pillar made by an unknown person(s) that stood in a red sandstone slot canyon in southeastern Utah. The 10-foot (3 m) tall structure was made of stainless steel or aluminium sheets riveted together into the shape of a triangular prism, with a hollow interior. It was unlawfully placed on public land between August 2015 and October 2016. In November 2020, state biologists discovered the pillar. Public officials withheld its location to prevent people from becoming lost trying to find it, but within hours of their announcement, some people found it on Google Earth and began visiting the site. Following worldwide media coverage of the monolith's discovery, it was removed by an unknown party days later.

Within 48 hours of the DPS announcement, members of the public had reached the site and uploaded photographs and videos of the monolith to social media.[10] Local business owners feared a surge in traffic could damage local Native American sites and artifacts.[11] Within a few days, the top two rivets on one side had been removed in an attempt to look inside.[12]

I'm starting to really think the Utah authorities took it down. But maybe not...read underneath.

Disappearance
The Utah division of the Bureau of Land Management said that it received credible reports that the monolith was removed on the evening of November 27, 2020 by an unknown party.[24] All that was left was a triangular metal piece that used to be on top. Two people who hiked to the location near midnight, Riccardo Marino and Sierra Van Meter, saw a pickup truck driving away from the site while they approached it: "We were driving in and we saw a truck with the tailgate folded back and a large object in the back." On arrival, they saw that the monolith was gone.[25][26][27] Someone had scrawled "Bye B****!" in the sand; it appeared that someone had urinated on the ground, and tire tracks were visible.[28]

This wiki link has a lot of info on it

link

Read this:

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
In retrospect, the thing was a Soy Boy's wet dream! It was the Millennial's monument to THEIR culture...over every other culture which has existed on Earth since the beginning of mankind. They could go on their 'grand pilgrimage' to the 'Great Obelisk' in the vast Utah desert. It was to be "The Haj" for Millennials. They could stand there with their lukewarm Kaffe Latte's from Starbucks and wear their lumberjack shirts, beards and rolled up jeans and feel like they were accomplishing some great achievement in life.

It didn't occur to me this would happen when the thing was first discovered, but as it's popularity quickly went "VIRAL" it all began to make sense. It had to go.

The novelty of the object was kind of unique in the beginning, alone in the desert like that, but once the popularity exploded the way it did, the bad vibes coming from it just kept growing. It had to go, and fast, else it would become a Millennial shrine (and it still might), a Mecca of sorts for Millennials, who otherwise value nothing else but themselves.

It had to go.

edit on 11/29/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Gake.

Want even that well done.

Boring times rn.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I agree this might have become a shrine, but why just millennials?

Sure their the youngest, but they had some YouTubes, and old, young, and in-between made the hike out there.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I suppose you're right. There's quite a few Soy Boys who don't fit into the Millennial class also.

Off with their "Great Obelisk"! Be gone, I say!

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

what God givth he can taketh away

God doesn't need to make stainless steel obelisks.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Kurokage

Good call.

Shows that people are just the worst.

By all accounts it’s been sitting there unnoticed since 2016 and within a week of being discovered, it’s been stolen.

It would have caused huge crowds of visitors and I bet they don't want the area to become a tourist attraction.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Artwork that got a couple days in the limelight.
Utah has lots of artists, this piece reminds me of the old "implied geometry" works which had some neat time lapse photography.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well good, it was a bad looking Obelisk at best. If you were going to make an artsy Obelisk, and take the time to put it in the desert, then why would you make it so badly?

From the pictures of it, it was nothing more than a folded piece of steel bolted in the back. The ground was cut and placed into that cut.

Here's what I would have done:
Make four sides with either etched or cut symbols into it, then weld the four sides together and then have them mountable of a ground stone and capped in place with a pyramid.

Take the Obelisk out to the site and drill into the ground so that the mounting stone can be bolted down. Coat the sides of the mounting stone with epoxy before placing the hollow four sides piece onto it. After the epoxy has cured pour concrete down the center of the Obelisk to prevent anyone from taking it at a later date. Epoxy the top pyramid and set it in place. Give the whole thing a nice polish and leave.

Wait about a month or so, and have somebody "Discover" it so that the media will have something to talk about, and then never discuss it again. Insta-mystery.

This thing was just a silly thing that some artists did, nothing unique or original about it, and the person who took it was either the people who built it wanting to remove it before someone fingered them as the artists, or it was just some person wanting to place it somewhere that they can then claim the fame over. It's just like the Seattle Monolith, but just poorly done.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: Willtell
This is a national disgrace. We need an investigation; Trump or Biden should put the DOJ on this. Contact area 51 pronto...

Heads must roll and disappear as fast as that obelisk

They should have put security guards out there

In the bitter cold in the dark night…

no excuse for this... Utah should be sanctioned.

Next time ship it to jersey... at least we'd have gotten some money for it

Don't forget the sharks with laser guided missiles.

....I know it's a desert but these are really cool sharks.

Not sharks, man.

Graboids.

posted on Nov, 29 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

Artwork that got a couple days in the limelight.
Utah has lots of artists, this piece reminds me of the old "implied geometry" works which had some neat time lapse photography.

It has been out there for years, most artists want someone to see their work.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I can understand whoever put this up taking it down.

This may have been very spiritual to the maker, and the public eventually would have mutilated it over time.
I think at the bottom of the ground, the lines on the dirt to the obelisk may have formed a masonic Hooked X. A very powerful symbol to some.

The bottom triangle of the Hooked X symbol above was etched in the dirt and the above triangle is the structure itself.

Also, why leave the bottom or top?
I need to look at the bottom of this triangle structure again to see if it is a hooked X symbol.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here is the Hooked X symbol. Starts in the dirt and carries into the triangular obelisk.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Found this in an article on the NY Times

Officials said that the structure was most likely a work of art and that its installation on public land was illegal. It was unclear who had put it there — and when — but the art world quickly speculated that it was the work of John McCracken, a sculptor fond of science fiction. He died in 2011.

His son, Patrick McCracken, told The New York Times this week that his father had told him in 2002 that “he would like to leave his artwork in remote places to be discovered later.”

Don't you love the name of the artist - McCracken? How's that for irony.

posted on Nov, 30 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

That link to the NY Times does not work for me, seems they want some cash. Found an alternative by searching for:

John McCracken, a sculptor fond of science fiction

Leads to several better alternatives in fact...

anewmerckreviewed.wordpress.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join