It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana asks Supreme Court to strip parental rights from gay couples

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Priorities right? In a time with record unemployment, a raging pandemic and child poverty on the rise, Indiana's solution is to target the gays again.

The case involves eight married lesbian couples who had children with the help of artificial insemination. In each couple, both mothers should be listed on their child’s birth certificate, but Indiana is refusing to do so.

A mother’s husband is listed on the child’s birth certificate because he are presumed to be the child’s father – even if the opposite-sex couple used a sperm donor – but Indiana is arguing that a woman married to the mother doesn’t have a biological connection to the child and therefore should not be presumed to be a parent.

One of the couples has a dual connection to their child. One woman carried the pregnancy using an egg donated by her wife. All of the couples used sperm donors.

The case gives the Supreme Court a chance to start chipping away at marriage equality in the United States as it has similarly done with abortion rights. Marriage, for opposite-sex couples, comes with presumed fatherhood, but now the Court could say that that benefit only applies to straight couples.

Source

I mean gosh, imagine all the non-biological fathers signing birth certificates for their kids (either knowing or unknowingly, unfortunately). Seems like Indiana or these groups never gave a hoot back then? I mean what can I say, both will be loving parents to these children, biology is just that, a physical aspect. I've known of many great step dads and moms over the years who have happily stepped up to make family work. I've also seen deadbeats whom think they're entitled to some sort of respect as parents merely because they were able to thrust one night. Obviously there's much much more to parenthood than this. I'm not sure why some of the country is still hanging on this issue? Two loving parents willing to invest in a child (which is no easy feat and costly). It makes no sense, it's bigotry plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If the left is busy trying to strip the right to seek my own health care from me in favor of a single government imposed system, why should I care?

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The fact that you (OP) believe your second sentence is enough to disqualify the rest of your statement. It means you aren't based in reality.
edit on 26-11-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

SCOTUS should leave same sex couples alone. Focus on stopping baby murder.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well the near to reality will be social scores will choose our fate for us regardless of any moral or ethical leaning.

I can't wait for the government to let you know that you can't have a child with someone who is undesirable and then force you to have an abortion as a result.

Or maybe, if you are gay and you choose a partner that voted "conservative" and is therefore unworthy of raising a child.

It's coming peeps. Get ready and accept it and shut up.

"They" have been pining for this kind of control since the Sanger days. THe main difference is that we are all black now.
edit on 26-11-2020 by Fools because: .

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

edit on 26-11-2020 by neo96 because: never mind

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
A woman that has a baby using artificial methods still has a husband listed on the birth certificate a the father.
I see no reason that a woman shouldn't be able to take on that same responsibility.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well the answer is as simple as who is the biological donor as in the sperm.

No woman can ever donate that.

They can accept responsibility but they are not the the biological donor aka father as a woman does not have the function of fathering a child....in the biological sense.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

If it puts a stop to this kind of child abuse, I am all for it!
WARNING: May make you lose your dinner!

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Themaskedbeast

I’m sure you can find many examples of non biological fathers.
A man or woman may not have any biology in common with a kid but the emotional connection cannot be denied in my opinion.

To be honest I think people take the biological connection way to seriously.
I’ve heard too many stories about people staying in abusive relationships with someone because it’s their dad or their mom.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What do they do with the father slot on birth certificates when it’s a sperm donor and the mother isn’t gay? Or when the mother doesn’t know who is the father? Does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If the father isn't known they leave it blank. If the mother wants child support his name has to be on the BC.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
If the father isn't known they leave it blank. If the mother wants child support his name has to be on the BC.

That’s what they should do in these cases, then.

Obviously they can’t put one of the moms in the “father” slot, since she is a woman, not a man.
edit on 26-11-2020 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It's astonishing how many right-wingers take the wrong stance on literally every issue. Where the hell do they grow these people?

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't know who my biological grandfather is.

(Yes, irrelevant information)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
It's astonishing how many right-wingers take the wrong stance on literally every issue. Where the hell do they grow these people?

In the same place as left wingers that believe they are the moral and intellectual superiors.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman

This from someone who is backing stripping gun rights, health care, property rights, etc., from everyone with the full progressive agenda, but we must care about not even 5% of the population on this one thing right now?

top topics

join