It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a recipe...giblet gravy...???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My grandmother made the best tasting gravy I have ever had.
It was a giblet gravy.

She died without telling anyone the recipe.
I have tried and failed to reproduce it.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

The innards are the best part of the animal.

mmmmmmmmmm

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanx for making my post into specifics. My diet of espresso and erbs makes me jittery sometimes to get all the facts depending on which way Im feeling. Hahaha. Fat separator is a great tool. Love thy tools

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

but what if you treat the giblets like any cut of meat when making gravy?

The giblets have a taste that is very very strong and rich. It has to be cut.

And red wine is something that can be used to do that. You should try adding some in your gravy.
I would go with neck or liver in a mushroom base gravy.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

If you really hate the taste giblets the best way to mellow them is to soak them in whole milk for at least 12-24 hours. Then you can dry them out on a rack in your fridge if one wanted to go all best technique.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I got you covered.

posted on Nov, 26 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have the giblets on now. i took the livers out, but I had two necks.

I've followed your and Lumenari's directoins (kind of a hybrid). I skipped the frying part, but did use the white wine.

Seems good so far, but taking longer than I thought.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Well? How was it?

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Ummm, honestly, I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't really care for it.

I'm very critical when it comes to cooking. We had a number of successes yesterday, but if I had to put one thing in the failure bucket it would be gravy. I didn't like either of our gravies...so much so I didn't even eat either of them. I didn't like the consistency of mine (and it just didn't look good), or the flavor. The wife's gravy came out perfect in terms of consistency, but was too salty (and we both agreed). Gravy was a major disappointment yesterday.

I also decided that I hate making gravy. The timing of it is all wrong. I don't like this really intense thing right at the end of the process. I don't know, I'm actually kind of angry about the whole gravy thing yesterday honestly. And, when I thought back on all the years, I've always felt that way...I just don't like making gravy...ever.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Here’s my sauce from the rabbit. Rabbit stock, vermouth, cream butter, red onion, paprika, parsley, more vermouth more cream.

I know the pic looks messy but I ate at like 8:30 and I was a little hammered by then. Hahaha.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

That looks amazing. Dry vermouth?

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No, this guy. Carpano antica formula. But that because I ran out of routin vermouth dry.

Vermouth

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Allow me to rephrase my previous post a little bit, that was a little too raw.

First of all, thank you for the recipe. I'm sure it is fantastic when done properly. I didn't make it properly and that is my fault. My issue was not the recipe, but rather the person making it, me.

The taste of my gravy was not bad, but it had the consistency of, well, ka-ka. This frustrated me greatly right at the end of an otherwise great day. The one thing which would top everything else looked like calf poop. My only savior was my wife's gravy which looked beyond awesome...until we tasted it. Too salty, probably owing to the brine on the turkey. Dammit! My bride fixed it, but it was too late, I was already mad. And, what made me angry was this process, making gravy, right at the end which can completely #### up the entire meal if it's not just perfect! I almost feel like I should dedicate the whole gawd-damned day on making the gravy, gravy and only ####### gravy...and everything else can just suck it!

**Here I go again. Just can't write this without getting frustrated! Making gravy SUCKS!!**

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

That looks fantastic!

I guess I really understand why a Saucier is a cooking specialization. I am NOT a Saucier!

So, this is something I need to work on.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Phone died. Erased my post, did an old duplicate*

You should make a demi a couple days before and use that base the day of at your leisure. Setting your self up for success.

Fossil farms is having a 30% off sale all day if you want to buy something interesting and give it another go

edit on 27-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I'm definitely tempted! I looked all through that link the other day.

I'd like to make some Chevron, and they've got it for a decent price (unlike around here for some odd reason). I can buy one here on the hoof for cheap, but I don't feel like dressing out a stinky goat. Plus, my wife would never eat it then. She's already got a preconceived notion about goat, though yesterday worked wonders on the goat milk / cheese front!

I've got a whole freezer full of pheasants though, maybe I could do something with one of those and some chicken giblets. Heck, I could probably buy another turkey for about a buck and just use the giblets from that. Cook the bird and give it to the homeless shelter in town.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I now live next to a goat farm where I picked up two goat leg chops last week. Dirty girl farm in andes, ny. I may copout and just made a jamaican goat curry

Ex-wife was Jamaican. Lived there for a bit in my late 20’s. I guess she still is but who really cares, right

edit on 27-11-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

MMMMmmmmmm goat curry!! MMMMMmmmMMMmmmmMMM!

Mutton curry too! Over biryani rice. MMMmmmmMMMmmmm!!

ETA - Now see, a curry is something I can get perfect. But the big difference between curry and gravy is, the whole time you're making curry you're perfecting the sauce. With gravy it's this mad scramble right at the end with huge consequences! Ironic though that "curry" roughly translates into gravy / sauce.

edit on 11/27/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

That’s where my zojirushi rice cooker shines! I love my rice cooker. The perfect grain everytime.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yeah, ours is great. Best rice cooker I've ever owned, hands down.

Perfect every time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join