It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a new American automobile

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

Search Google for chargers in your area. I think you'll be surprised by how many there are. As far as how long, I think I remember reading the supercharger stations take about 40 minutes for a full charge from empty.

How often do you drive further that 300 miles? You might have to plan out some chargers if you take road trips but as far as a daily driver you shouldn't have to worry about it. And the car literally has them all mapped out.

You also would never need oil changes and crap like that.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: Scapegrace

Search Google for chargers in your area. I think you'll be surprised by how many there are. As far as how long, I think I remember reading the supercharger stations take about 40 minutes for a full charge from empty.

How often do you drive further that 300 miles? You might have to plan out some chargers if you take road trips but as far as a daily driver you shouldn't have to worry about it. And the car literally has them all mapped out.

You also would never need oil changes and crap like that.

True...

However, you will end up paying about 8K for a battery about every 6-7 years on average.

So as far as maintenance costs go, that's pretty... sad.

The other thing I learned about electric car drivers is that they are so proud of driving an environmentally clean car.

While not thinking about where the electricity comes from.

62% of the electricity generated in America is from hydrocarbons... mostly coal and natural gas.

Driving an electric car in America is basically subsidizing Big Oil.

Which incidentally the Democrats want to get rid of....

edit on 23-11-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yea, people that have that elitist attitude suck. I dont care about the "green" angle of the whole EV thing. The technology is just super cool to me.

I will say however, the internal combustion engine IS on its way out. Its basically the horse trade of today. Battery technology just needs a bit more innovation.

I don't know about other electric vehicles but I know with tesla you don't have to replace the whole battery pack just battery modules.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: Lumenari

Yea, people that have that elitist attitude suck. I dont care about the "green" angle of the whole EV thing. The technology is just super cool to me.

I will say however, the internal combustion engine IS on its way out. Its basically the horse trade of today. Battery technology just needs a bit more innovation.

I don't know about other electric vehicles but I know with tesla you don't have to replace the whole battery pack just battery modules.

The IC engine works at best at about a 20% efficiency rate.

So yes, it is outdated but at converting hydrocarbons to kinetic energy, it is still the cheapest way to go for a consumer.

SO FAR.

Electric motors for me is one way to go... hydrogen vehicles for me make more sense because that technology is already there and the fuel stations can just convert water to hydrogen.

The battery technology is rapidly expanding though and I hope to see a breakthrough there soon.

Hopefully the "Back to the Future" Mr. Fusion mod is in the works as well...

All that being said, I would have to respond to the OP by suggesting a Honda Ridgeline.

Honda is in America to stay.

edit on 23-11-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 05:00 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The only "American" car I like is Chevy Cruze hatchback. Any of the GM Opel spin offs would be ok, inc the Buick sedans and SUVs

In fact the Buick Regal Tour X are pretty amazing.....made in Germany.

www.caranddriver.com...
edit on 26-11-2021 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think you need to be more specific about what you are looking for.

For example...

a.) Are you looking for new or pre-owned?

b.) Are you looking for a 'looker' car, 'performance' car, or just a daily commuter car?

c.) What kind of mileage are you looking for (i.e. MPG)?

I had a really reputable car guy tell me the other day that the most reliable and bulletproof American car you can buy is a 1999 - 2005 Buick LeSabre. I was actually shocked (we own Subarus and Fords). Said you can pick one up for $2,000 to 4,000, and they'll go 400,000 miles, cheap to repair, easy to work on and generally great cars.

Now, before anyone goes crazy on me, this same guy is a big Honda and Toyota proponent also, so he's not just pro-American, but this particular car is just a good all around car (not a looker, not a racer, but a 4 door grocery hauler which will last forever). After he told me this, I started looking around and sure enough there are still boatloads of these cars on the road today.

Heck of a lot less than $40k!

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 07:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 9 2024 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Jetta

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join