It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Forbes Magazine Estimates Fidel Castro's Net Worth At $550 Million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Forbes magazine has drawn criticism from Fidel Castro in estimating his personal fortune in excess of $550 million. Cuba's Communist leader decried the listing as "infamy" and pointed to other leaders who he described as thief's and and plunderers protected by the United States. However, the magazine described the process of determining net worth as often an art rather than a science.

story.news.yahoo.com
HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuban President Fidel Castro criticized Forbes magazine on Thursday for the "infamy" of listing him among the world's richest people, with a net worth of $550 million.

"Once again, they have committed the infamy of speaking about Castro's fortune, placing me almost above the queen of England," Castro said in a speech to top officials of Cuba's ruling Communist Party, military and police.

"Do they think I am (former Zairian President) Mobutu (Sese Seko) or one of the many millionaires, those thieves and plunderers that the empire has suckled and protected?" he said in reference to his capitalist archenemy, the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Viva la revolution! You kind of wonder how much old Che would have been worth had he lived this long? So, Even if the tripled the estimate as some sort of psych-ops, why does he need so much money if he is such a stalwart of communism?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I know he must have money. But that much?
I dont think so

I doubt that much.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I dont think so

I doubt that much.

Even if its over estimated by say 75% that still alot for a committed communist. Or is he one of those Communism for everybody but me types?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
$550 million, he could buy a small island with that amount of money!!

oh wait a sec....

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I dont think so

I doubt that much.

Why do you doubt he can have that much DG?

You are Cuban, you do know that he sends military and medical help to other regimes who are fighting "la revolucion"...training terrorists and such. That's one of the ways he makes money.

With this source of income alone I think he has more than enough money, then again, he exports most of the food and other products out of the country to make even more money while the people starve....and we have another dictator who sees fidel as his mentor and wants his country to become another Cuba...so there is even more money coming in for castro...

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is merely US backed propoganda designed segregate the people of Cuba more so then the US has already... Cuba would have been one of the greatest countries on earth - except for the fact the US put Cuba in a virtual prison-cell where they didn't have ANY political freedom to govern the way they wanted... Because remember... Communism is EVIL!!!

Anyone who thinks he has $550 Million has been sucked into the propganda, which was designed for that very purpose...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
What a communist amature!

Most capitalist dictators from even the most poor African countries used to extract billions untill most of their countries resembled a dried up puddle of blood..

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
But You Repeat Yourself

Originally posted by FredT
Or is he one of those Communism for everybody but me types?

That's the only type of Communist there is.

After all, someone has to lead the poor unwashed masses to the new Marxist paradise.

Fidel is just one of many prophets of the Marxist Religion -- the religion that distinguishes itself by not calling itself a religion while simultaneously seeking to murder the competition which does identify itself honestly.

History shows that without doubt, it can be a very "prophetable" scam, indeed.

Communists are nothing more or less than dishonest Fascists.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Forbes on Tuesday published a story on the fortunes of rulers and heads of state, which included Castro, Britain's Queen Elizabeth and the sultan of Brunei, saying none were "exemplars of capitalism" and did not qualify for the world billionaires list.

This here debunks the article much less what is said about Castro. The Sultan is pro-US so he gets a break?

The Queen most likely has her fingers in more things than Forbes wanted to follow.

One view
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the wealthiest crone in the world, who gives new meaning to the phrase, ``stinking rich.'' Her total wealth is divided into two parts. One is a Venetian-style fondo (trust), that is, it is inalienable and must be passed on to her heir, free from inheritance tax. The second part of her wealth consists of her private collection of castles, jewelry, and art, and a portfolio of blue chip stocks and bonds and real estate investments around the world. Her investment portfolio is estimated to be worth £3 billion.

more on the Queen
The Queen of England’s bank, Coutts, has opened an office in Monaco. Keith Oates, a former governor of the BBC, has been recruited as director of the new branch. Coutts’ chief executive, Gordon Pell, said the appointment was “a testament to the fact that Coutts is committed to strengthening its private banking teams in key international markets” for the benefit of clients outside the bank’s UK base.

I don't believe the Forbes story as presented.

the Sultan
Despite his wealth, Hassanal Bolkiah Muizzaddin Waddaulah, Sultan and Prime Minister of Brunei since 1967 is surrounded by gloom. From his father he inherited a personal fortune estimated at $40 billion, which once placed him at the top of Fortune magazine's list of the world's richest people. Recent reports, however, suggest that his treasure has dwindled to a mere $10 billion-peanuts, these days.

The only reason these people didn't make the list:

Excluded for cause
Fidel Castro, Queen Elizabeth II and the Sultan of Brunei. Their fortunes span decades, even centuries. Still, none of these world leaders are exemplars of capitalism and, as a result, do not qualify for the world billionaires list.

The list is crabbed- it has criteria that remove some from being measured. This by itself makes the list suspect.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Joe, we could discuss the various other "Royal" members etc. However, Castro's position IMHO is different that a monarch etc. As a professed Communist, how come he has more wealth than the average Cuban citizen? You would think that he would be just as poor as everybode else in the land of milk and honey no?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Joe, we could discuss the various other "Royal" members etc. However, Castro's position IMHO is different that a monarch etc. As a professed Communist, how come he has more wealth than the average Cuban citizen? You would think that he would be just as poor as everybode else in the land of milk and honey no?

What-e-ver

I agree on Castro- moving right along to the Roayls

(Castro is a dictator- plain and simple)

I think it is also amusing that Forbes story portrays the slant it does.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
I think it is also amusing that Forbes story portrays the slant it does.

Why would you be so surprised? Forbes is a capitalist journal, Cuba the last time I looked is a Communist paradise. Opposite sides If I ever saw one

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
This is merely US backed propoganda designed segregate the people of Cuba more so then the US has already... Cuba would have been one of the greatest countries on earth - except for the fact the US put Cuba in a virtual prison-cell where they didn't have ANY political freedom to govern the way they wanted... Because remember... Communism is EVIL!!!

Anyone who thinks he has $550 Million has been sucked into the propganda, which was designed for that very purpose...

The people of Cuba are already segregated...there is the very small communist minority who live well as long as they do castro's bidding, and there is the rest of the people who are starving because of castro, not because of the US, and if anyone has been sucked into any propaganda, i am sorry to say it is you, as i can see by your own title that you see yourself as a "revolucionario".....

fidel castro is the one that is oppressing the people of Cuba, you can ask anyone in my family or any of the other millions of Cubans who have been able to leave the island of that dictator sob. There is another Cuban-American in these boards who has been a bit quiet, but she could back up what i am saying.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Even if its over estimated by say 75% that still alot for a committed communist. Or is he one of those Communism for everybody but me types?

They're all those type of communists.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Muaddib is correct, people. FIDEL CASTRO IS THE ONE starving the people of Cuba. It is not the USA.

Take this little bit of information from a LIBERAL.

The USA should not be blamed here.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The impose sanctions by the US does add to the problem in Cuba.

Well I got an Idea I think Castro keeps his money stash away in the caiman Islands with all other crooks in the world that are leaders of nations.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Marg, you think?

He's in good company, eh?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Marg, you think?

He's in good company, eh?

Hey, he is getting old and he needs to save for retirement, right?

Who knows he may be one of the biggest investors in the "Carlyle Group"

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I just had this thought...

What if Castro was smart and had shares in Halliburton?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Rapier, could be

Although in his case not only is he dumb he's also stupid.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join