It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Was Occupy Wall Street Bought Out By The One Percent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi, and a happy Sunday to you!

First, I’d like to apologize for bringing another rather contentious issue to the boards. For a long time, I’d vowed to remain mostly silent, positive, and non committal when it came to political issues. I figured ATS sees enough of those, and opted to add content to the other forums on the site, mostly for fun and to connect with you
(I’ve gained so much from so many extraordinary ATS members.)

Suddenly, though, I feel that the stakes are higher and that to stay out of the political realm and to stay silent on important issues is to do a disservice to my children. The world is indeed changing, and if we’re not careful we’ll end up in a psychopath’s utopia:
www.weforum.org...

Any and all past human attempts at achieving a utopia has been a disaster. A good friend put it best “A utopia for who?”
Whenever anyone focuses outward (how can I change the world to make it a better place) rather than inward (how can I change myself to make the world a better place) they are missing the point.

It’s time an increasing number of us upped our awareness of the autocrats who believe their vision for the future of the world ought to supersede any national laws or personal boundaries.

Which gets me to the point of my post:
When exactly did Occupy Wall Street sell out to the 1 percent?
Let me start by saying this is only a THEORY. A theory that makes a lot of sense if one thinks about it, though

Occupy Wall Street began in late 2011, with a group of protestors camping in a public park in order to draw attention to the gross disparity between our world’s richest and the rest of us.
Now Occupy operates under a different name, same MO.
But the new occupiers are now allies with the governing forces, and are now using the police force to deny journalists the right to stand on publicly owned property and report the news.
The new occupiers also seem to have some source of funding; where else would all those new tents and umbrellas come from? And do the some leave the encampment every evening to hunt for food while others forage for berries, or is a source of food being brought in?
Who is paying the security to watch over the tent town? Who is paying for the drugs?
Btw: this video is really comedy gold, despite its gravity. I hope you enjoy and am looking forward to a spirited discussion!

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Always.

Back when occupy was going on. I was landscaping. We had an extremely rich customer. Like they had a dog they kept alive for $10000 a month because it was born without the ability to control its asshole. They had a son around my age, hippy type dude, didn't work or anything. One day we're showing up for work and him and daddy are getting into the car to go somewhere. Kid's all excited, he's on his way to sleep downtown for two weeks at the occupy protests to fight against the 1%.

I found it really hard not to point out the irony and thank him for representing me while I had to work to make his garden pretty for him for when he got back.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Just ridiculous.

Thank God for these people to tell me what's best for me, and to throw me an occasional bone (you get to eat meat today!) when I sit on command.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Honestly, he was a nice kid, pretty sure he meant well, he just lived in such a bubble he didn't really get it. He'd always bring out coffee and food and actually came and talked with us. Of all the lazy, stay at home rich kids I've met over my years of working at rich people's houses, he was really the only one I didn't have scorn for.

Still, I always think of the irony of that whole situation. It's pretty much what taught me almost every protest in recent times is some controlled demonstration put on by rich people.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Always.

Look at what the occupy crowd wanted. Look at which politicos pandered to that. Look at the main big donors to those politicos.

The 1%.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I didn't mean to come across as disparaging this wealthy family either. Anyone should feel free to accumulate as much wealth as a legal operation allows!
It's when people begin to use their wealth to influence entire populations toward their vision of "justice" that my suspicions start to rise.
And the meat comment was directed at the WEF who wants to control was does or doesn't go into food trough of all us "chattel." They are among the worst psychopaths out there, imo.

But good point also about the current demographic of protestors.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

OWS was essentially infiltrated by social justice warriors who were unaware they were being used as pawns. These useful idiots started setting up camp and tried to lobby for their own causes using the already-established OWS platform as their own.

It was supposed to be about holding the 1% accountable. Not about racial & gender equality and LGBT whining. The media was complicit in this and it eventually caused uprisings and arrests which led to the earnest OWS movement being derailed.

In short, the REEEE crowd REEEE'd the whole thing to oblivion. They haven't shut up since, and they still don't get it.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I went to an OWS event in Vancouver at the art gallery.

The hour I spent listening to speakers fumble to come up with content, left me with the impression these people were handed a platform they didn't yet know what to do with so they inherently began drawing up new statutes anyway. How to raise your hand, how to clap without offending someone...

It felt like lord of the flies.

The day before that was my last full day as a progressive.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I did my share of demonstrating in my college days
That was against the Iraqi invasion then. I'd also met up with a group of Iranian expatriates who were protesting the brutal Iranian regime (we went to New York when Ahmadinejad was allowed to speak in front of the UN), but shouting slogans was really never my thing.

I will definitely stand up for anyone's rights if I have the opportunity, but my new way is through Civil Disobedience.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That encampment is a hodgepodge of mental illness, socioeconomic disenfranchisement and indoctrination, which pretty much encapsulates the entire Antifa movement. A collection of lunatics, misfits and rejects programmed to "fight the power"; cannon fodder for far left and borderline anarchist forces attempting to trigger an implosion of Western civilization.

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all the thought provoking comments!

As an aside, I'd also like to point out to anyone who has watched the linked video--notice the hired security for this news crew did not pull out a gun and shoot their attackers in the head, unlike the security hired by our local news station (9 News Denver).

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

In response to your opening question, When Was Occupy Wall Street Bought Out By The One Percent_, my reply would be to just look at what happened to the Tea Party.

Any movement that is a threat to the fascist order will be invaded, overtaken and ruined by them. Pretty effective strategy, actually, because people are essentially kinda dumb.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Hey Zosimov I actually had a hand in planning and setting up the original OWS. I'm at work right now so I can't really spend the time going into details, but basically it started as what you described. What happened was that the more senior people either wanted everyone to be free to join in and spout their own messages, or didn't want to be criticized for not allowing the "minority" groups to join in.

I was vocal against it. I said we should focus on the mission and the main statement, and the other groups could plan and have their own protests and rallies, but we all see what a crap show it turned into. Instead of one coherent movement against crony capitalism and corporatocracy it turned into a free for all.

I put up my activism gloves shortly thereafter.

After that nothing new that hadn't already been happening occurred. Activist groups have to get funding from somewhere and barely any of that comes from grassroots type fundraising. People with money fund them and place their own people within the groups to facilitate their interests.

When it comes down to it, no matter how noble or righteous an activist thinks they are they are only human, and money makes the world go round. They can say it's for love, peace, or equality, but it's all BS.

My two cents for anyone who will listen is that if you do want to do the whole peace, love, and equality thing then don't join an activist group. Practice those things in your own life. Go about your daily life treating others how you want to be treated. Don't get on "free buses" to cities hundreds or thousands of miles away to scream obscenities at people or burn buildings down.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

This is an awesome post. Thanks for your insight on the matter, and very well thought out response.

I completely agree that real altruism has to happen on a smaller, more local and personal level.

Thanks again Automate! Have a good one!

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

It wasn't that well put together, but thanks. If you're interested I can put together something more in depth later.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Well, only if that's something that you think you'd like to put your time and effort into!

I always love to learn more, and especially like to learn from first hand accounts, not to mention the topic really does bear, relevance to our situation today.

But I'd absolutely also understand if you have more important stuff on your plate atm.
Either way, I appreciate the insight you've already brought to the discussion.

posted on Nov, 23 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Interesting video, discussion and weird, Weird days.

I identified with progressives and the moderate version of the left back when it was against: corporate rights as individuals and corp's disproportionate power in government lobbying, limiting the rights of individuals in regards to their own bodies/ minds and excessive environmental degradation.

The "war on drugs" was (is) a truly fascist movement tied to endemic racism and classism. The right also tended to let people destroy our common environment to make a buck. Abortion rights figured in as well... as in don't "like" it, but governments should not be allowed to punish for it.

Now? I don't know what "team" to cheer for. Extremists suck in all the air.

The media, where we get our info about what is going on beyond line of sight, is clearly biased for controversy and profit. It focuses on clearly deranged individuals and ignores the boring reasonable people.

The only solutions I can see is to bring back the laws where the government cannot use propaganda against it's citizens and where both sides of issues have to be addressed in editorials AND platform algorithms.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Occupy Wall Street, like all movements get infiltrated and hijacked.

The CIA will not allow another civil rights era to flourish.

Remember what was happening on the other side of the aisle during OWS? The tea party movement.

That too was hijacked from its libertarian origins by Trumpers and Proud Boys.

BLM started naturally but just like the corporate landscape of this country was bought out and repurposed for elite interests.

They are watching and infiltrating ALL of the grassroots movements to hedge their bets.

I predict the next movement to be one concerning protecting the environment, that they are already positioning their puppets into.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Psilocyborg

Idk about that one. I ran a eco-activism chapter just prior to the 10's as well, and honestly they're more batsnip crazy than animal rights activists.

Though the two groups often go hand in hand.

No one takes them seriously for a reason.

posted on Nov, 24 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma
Hi Baddogma

Similarly to you, I definitely used to identify as a leftist.
And really feel that some of the movers behind our prison industrial complex are criminal in ways that far exceed many of the inmates'.
I also think your post has really pointed out a few other areas which seem to have gone horribly wrong--extremism portrayed so often by a few sensational and biased networks that it appears to be the norm.

I think the solution you offer is a good one, and would go far in the way of balancing the off-kilter state of our republic.

Hope you have a good one!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join