It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record album: "A recording of the Historic Space Voyage of America's First Astronaut"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I figured this belongs in Space Exploration, as this was the start of America's space exploration!
A few years ago, while going through my late uncle's belongings, (I was executor,) I found this record album:
This is the front of the album cover.

And this is the back.

It is a recording from the control tower to Alan Shepard, starting just before liftoff. It then has some reporters who were covering the event, and, well, the front cover says it all. I was only 4 year old, so hearing this for the first time was really neat!
Here is the album, side 1.

And here is album , side 2.

Apparently there wasn't enough coverage to completely fill an entire record album, so much of the second half is taken by a lively version of Battle Hymn Of The Republic.
I don't know where he bought it, but I played it and recorded it while playing it. I used Audacity and its in flac format. The quality is good. I would share the audio here, but not sure how to go about doing that.
I figured I'd share this, I know there are people here who will appreciate this.

SnrRog
edit on 11/21/2020 by snrRog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: snrRog

I figured this belongs in Space Exploration, as this was the start of America's space exploration!
A few years ago, while going through my late uncle's belongings, (I was executor,) I found this record album:
This is the front of the album cover.

And this is the back.

It is a recording from the control tower to Alan Shepard, starting just before liftoff. It then has some reporters who were covering the event, and, well, the front cover says it all. I was only 4 year old, so hearing this for the first time was really neat!
Here is the album, side 1.

And here is album , side 2.

Apparently there wasn't enough coverage to completely fill an entire record album, so much of the second half is taken by a lively version of Battle Hymn Of The Republic.
I don't know where he bought it, but I played it and recorded it while playing it. I used Audacity and its in flac format. The quality is good. I would share the audio here, but not sure how to go about doing that.
I figured I'd share this, I know there are people here who will appreciate this.

SnrRog

Really cool
, back then, thats how this stuff got around..on vinyl.

I have a set from Time Life Records, called To The Moon. It has a book, and 6 records. One of my friends runs a vintage audio shop, with a cool vinyl section. I stumble onto cool stuff at times, speeches, I have some Kennedy ones, old radio programs, War Of The Worlds. We have even come across a Hitler speech..that one going to stay buried!

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Here lately it has become populair again to buy vinyl believe it or not.
Many that inherited vinyl from their parents are rediscovering its retro value, i do wonder what other treasures your uncle had in his collection. There is just something about the cracking sound it makes, such old sounds brought back from the past.

Was curious what was on there so looked around and found these video's somebody made.
So if anybody else wonders what is on there have a listen:

Side1

Side2

Side2 - The Battle Hymn Of The Republic

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dimens
Here lately it has become populair again to buy vinyl believe it or not.
Many that inherited vinyl from their parents are rediscovering its retro value, i do wonder what other treasures your uncle had in his collection. There is just something about the cracking sound it makes, such old sounds brought back from the past.

Was curious what was on there so looked around and found these video's somebody made.
So if anybody else wonders what is on there have a listen:

Side1

Side2

Side2 - The Battle Hymn Of The Republic

There is some interesting stuff out there.

Vinyl has done well the last 6-7 years, lots of new turntables and lots of cool vinyl. Now, much of it is pressed from a cd mix, still fun, and some albums are true to form, mixed and mastered for the master tapes/files

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Most of my uncle's collection was of music of the era, he was born August 5th, 1937, and we share a birthday, though I was born August 5th, 1957. He liked some big band, but believe it or not, he was an audiophile, and bought music to show off his pretty impressive audio system, not really caring if it was jazz, rock, classical or whatever. He loved Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells!
He built his own speakers, each with 18" woofers, and a home-brew crossover network. If I remember correctly, there were 5 speakers built into each cabinet. Anyway, I'm happy Dimens found that online somewhere! I had done a quick search, but turned up so much other fluff, I never bothered narrowing down the search.
Once I figure out how to do audio on this site, I will post something that I can guarantee only about 20 people on the planet have heard, and yes, it is about space exploration!
Thanks!

snrRog

posted on Nov, 22 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: snrRog
Man I would
Love to find a copy of this!!!

new topics

top topics

join