It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Doesn't Exist. Period.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911
1+2+3=Life

Let me modify that equation:

(10*(1+3))+2=42=Life, the Universe, and Everything

We've finally discovered what the equation to Douglass Adams' answer! Alert the press!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Damn! Some people are defensive. I thought it was obvious that I was not addressing you. Here is the stream:

syrinx high priest ~thats twisted dude
dnero6911~No you're twisted dude.
Jonna~Ha!

I laughed because it was funny, but if you are offended by my comment that let me just say that you are not funny. You are not funny at all!

I was laughing at your joke and addressing the opposing viewpoint to our (yours and mine) perspective on Evil.

Words are annoying .. it'd be easier if voice fluctuations and body language were able to be viewed when reading a persons comment.. Context is quite messy ..

Oh and invader_chris .... it's a method of explaining something to people, not an actual mathematical equation meant to solve the worlds problems.. don't be a dork. that is unless you really think that... lol

[edit on 18/3/05 by dnero6911]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You know really, this post gets to the source of a deeper issue that I've been seeing more and more that really bothers me. This ideology that there is no right and wrong and therefore everyone's opinion is equally valid. It seems that you have people that are in this line of thought and then on the opposite people that are in the good evil mind frame. Its hard to even have a debate between the two because they come at each other with such different values and understandings that a point to one may be ridiculous to the other. But basically this is how I see it. In a perfect society there is no evil on difference of opinion. This is a society in which everyone is working towards the betterment of humanity and just have disagreements as to how to get there. This is a world that is devoid of malice, greed, etc. so therefore evil really doesn't exist. Its much like communism, great in theory and an ideal for a perfect society, but you're jumping the gun to put it in place now and we've all seen what the result is. While this is the ideal mindset, it doesn't work in the world we live in because there is evil. Once evil has been eliminated from the Earth, if that can happen, then this will be the way to go but as things stand right now it leads to catastrophe i.e. appeasement. This is because as long as there is evil in the world those that are evil will take advantage of those don't recognize it. It all comes down to the old proverb, all that is needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Evil doesn't exist.... Evil people do .. take away the evil people, you have no more evil... its really a choice.... allow anger to consume you so the anger becomes you, or consume the anger so you become the anger. Because you are not evil... but the anger is.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Evil doesn't exist.... Evil people do .. take away the evil people, you have no more evil... its really a choice.... allow anger to consume you so the anger becomes you, or consume the anger so you become the anger. Because you are not evil... but the anger is.

I think you're confusing your own self here; so, Evil does not exist, but, however, evil people do, as it were, anger is also evil?

Maybe you need to reformulate your thoughts a bit more.

Anger is just an emotion, while evil may be considered an extension of emotion or intent.

Deep

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Evil is a point of view. One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

I agree with the original author of this thread, there is no such thing as evil.

Yes, there is good and bad in this world, even horrible monstrous things. Still, just because something is bad does not mean it is evil.

Using the word evil implies dark forces from the spiritual realm are at work attacking the things we consider good. The entire concept of evil is just a cop out, a way to blame something beyond our control for the terrible things that mankind does.

Evil did not ride in the crusades, It wasn't there during the pograms or kill 230 million people in WWII and it didn't fly airplanes into the world trade center or pentagon. Man did those things and until we stop blaming dark forces for the terror we commit, the horror WILL NOT STOP!

Until mankind begins accepting resonsibility for his actions he will need a concept as silly as evil to blame things on.

Just because something is bad does not mean it is evil. Evil does not exist.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
None of you really have any idea what you're talking about.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost
evil does exist. EXCLAMATION POINT.

just goofing, but really do think there is evil.. but its all relative.

i think there is absolute good, and absolute evil, and everything we humans encounter is somwhere inbetween.
You rang? You are Lost and I am SomewhereinBetween, I wonder if Found will show up next?

On reading the opening post I wondered whether the poster was confusing the act of wickedness with an ethereal manifestation of an evil entity waiting to possess our human minds. I still suspect that is what he was trying to relay, but relative to the act of wickedness itself from which we can place the label; evil on both the act and person responsible, I agree with your asessment of it being relative, where I could not help but notice the existential aspect of the concept, which I paraphrase: Evil is done for a good reason.

With regard to the act o,f or concept of evil, I would say that were we all to proffer our definition of evil in an abstract way, we would all agree. It is only in the application of same that it becomes relative, and even then, it only becomes relative because we find it necessary to personalize evil/wickedness when we sit in judgement of others, where we personalize good when we sit in judgement of, or defend our own actions.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I'm not saying what people do is RIGHT ... but I'm saying EVIL does not exist... it's a fallacy ... a thought... a perception ... stop letting your bias get in the way of reality ...
[edit on 17/3/05 by dnero6911]

I guess you can conclude there is no such thing as 'good' either...cool

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I guess what the thread starter is trying to say is that there is no such thing as evil, the force. So we are arguing semantics here. There is no essence of evil as he says, not like a cloud that you walk through and automatically do "evil" things.

But according to the dictionary meaning, evil is what is decided as morally wrong. And once more, I will reinforce that most of the world does agree on a certain set of morals. I'm not talking about the nit-picking issues such as sex outside of marriage. Let's speak of no murder, no thieving, no raping small children, etc. Now, someone may come back and say, well we fight wars, but let's keep it down to everyday activities that people follow. If you are walking out your door, headed to work, then you just walk up and slice some random person's throat, I think we would all consider that to be morally wrong, thus evil. But did some evil force make him do that? No, probably not. So, yeah, we're discussing semantics here.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Yeh, Well those "sickos" had a good reason to do what they did....

Doesn't matter whether you think it was good or not.. they obviously thought it was good...

I'm not saying what people do is RIGHT ... but I'm saying EVIL does not exist... it's a fallacy ... a thought... a perception ... stop letting your bias get in the way of reality ...

All evil comes from a "good" idea... people don't kill another person because it was a bad idea for THEM ... they did it because they thought it was GOOD for them or someone else.. .

same thing with that pervert who wanted to get his member wet stealing someones kid... they thought it was a GOOD idea...

EVIL doesn't exist... stupid people do.

EDIT: To stop those things you have to make them BAD ideas......
you don't punish people when they thought what they were doing was right... that makes people loopy too.. then you get people who aren't themselves mentally... You get weirdos who won't go driving because GOD told them it was a bad idea.. People start rationalizing off of others... which is unhealthy people need to be able to rationalize proper thoughts on THEIR own .. without someone else FORCING thoughts.. the sick should be offered help not hinderence.. and anyone who does wrong is sick .. but people don't get sick for no reason ... theres always a GOOD reason ..

[edit on 17/3/05 by dnero6911]

Not trying to argue semantics here, but if you can deny the existence of evil, then you need to deny the existence of GOOD, as well as Right. Can't have one without the other. There would be no gradations, no reason for them.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Killing another person wouldn't cross another persons mind if people weren't already confused about "right and wrong" ... people who uphold the "law" are the people who are biggest real law breakers out there. using technicalities and saying, well that person was rotten anyway... or justifying real problems...

Evil just like the person above said isn't a force... or an entity within someone.. it is that someone...

There is no good either... its just a condition of events and chemicals..

We need to stop running around trying to BE GOD... deciding what's right and wrong... but most people are terrified of that idea.. which is very sad., we've bred too many ill thinkers... or bias opinionated people...
The only reason a human even breaths is for the response it illicits.. if you didn't have purpose you would cease to exist...
we strive running around for purpose and reason, like we're running after it.. all the while it's attached to us .. like a horse chasing a carrot that's held by a rider.... This evil we fight everyday in our lives, in other people is right at home within us, it's judgement itself, its a lack of understanding.. so what that guy who raped that 3 yearold is messed up and disgusting... maybe try and find out why ... talk to that person, find out their mentality so you can stop it in other people.. you don't call them sick and kill them or throw them in jail. .. If you want understanding and love, it must be given to EVERYONE else... if you want to lock up some people for some crimes... than you must lock up everyone, just like people say cannabis is a gate-way drug... small infractions in everyday life are gate-ways to bigger infractions... and by judging some, you are judging all, its only a matter of time before even the people locking away people are behind bars themselves, locking people up from there.

Some of the best criminals in the world have said it themselves,

It isn't illegal unless you get caught.

and sad but true, that's the mentality of the people incharge and "taking care" of the world and our streets....
look at all the resignations, soon even in local police stations, officers themselves will begin to notice the curruption going on around them, it'll scare them... some might be so scared they block it out....

I urge any of you to seek this movie out and watch it.. it will explain what happens when you give normal people (and we are all normal, at some point) power over other people... when you create the society of observer and observed, you get what we have today ... look it up, watch it..

DAS EXPERIMENT

EDIT:

We as humans are very vivid thinkers... we imagine things so well, and when we create these things, they are harder to kill then we are.

It's like we're GODs .. on drugs... drunk and in a stupor.. unable to really understand what we do, or who we are.

Darkness is the absence of light.. yet when its dark on the earth there is still light. Even in a black hole there is light, isn't there? isn't it just warped or something .. not to mention all the light we physically can't see... so darkness being the absence of light really isn't so full proof either, it's all just a degree of light, darkness isn't the absence of light it''s a degree of light, ask the masons.. lol
they'll tell you. (joke)

EVERYTHING is flux... it's all part of the soup.... it isn't crackers or peas, carrots or chicken, noodles or broth... it's soup... EAT IT and stop nit-picking...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Dnero brings up some valid points, but I'm not about to say that there is no such thing as good in the world. Without goodness, there is nothing worth living for. In essence, we'd all be robots, and any fundamental underlying purpose existence once had would have evaporated.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD
But then, we would almost all agree that people who kill other people for no reason are evil.

I could never agree that almost all people who kill other people for no reason are evil.

I could agree that those people have problems, which if defined and isolated, may be able to be overcome. These people have sicknesses, and it isn't an act of Satan, or some intangible 'other' energy form that exists in the universe forcing these people into their behavior. They have problems, just like other people have problems, but they cannot manage them in a reasonable fashion due to the effect the mental illnesses have on them.

When was the last time you heard of anyone being tried and convicted of being evil? Salem? And before that probably the Spanish Inquisition?

Hey, wake up and smell the 21st century.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
No, some people do understand and agree, but others will never accept it. Why? This is because it is easier to sleep at night thinking that evil is something Other people do. People who do not understand how to be Good or simply misunderstood just like you. It is just another way to divide Us from Them.

Excellent, Jonna, you hot babe!

Right. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Interesting post, dnero6911 (also glad to see your warns go away... I enjoy your posts!)

There are several channelled pieces out there (RA material, Operation Terra) which use the terms, "Service to Others" (called STO) and "Service to Self" (called STS). The idea is that each of us is polarized (oh no! not that word!) toward one or the other.

The idea is that the Creator wants to experience the whole spectrum of existence through his creation, and so there is a small percentage of higher selves (or "oversouls") that are specifically allowed to cultivate evil and therefore create conflict and therefore to create such concepts as heroism, sacrifice, devotion, etc. In order to understand this idea, picture yourself watching a movie in which there is no conflict but just a bunch of nice people sitting a field of flowers for two hours. Wouldn't you get bored? So does God, or so the idea goes. When you accept the idea of rebirth/reincarnation, this does seem to make sense, but it's a stretch for most people.

If you are polarized toward STS, you may rip a baby out of its mother because you want a baby. Is it evil? Sure, in the eyes of an STO, but in the eyes of an STS, it could be seen as logical. I have thought a lot about this and the only thing I can't quite explain is how this philosophy applies to evil acts done in the name of God like honor killings or abortion-clinic shootings. These are evil acts which are not done for STS or STO reasons, so where do they fall in this spectrum? I cannot answer that.

As Neal Donald Walsch (or 'God', depending on your view) said in the excellent book, "Conversations With God":

"Nobody does anything evil, given their view of the world."

[edit on 19-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
I have thought a lot about this and the only thing I can't quite explain is how this philosophy applies to evil acts done in the name of God like honor killings or abortion-clinic shootings. These are evil acts which are not done for STS or STO reasons, so where do they fall in this spectrum? I cannot answer that.

"Nobody does anything evil, given their view of the world."

I would imagine that people who commit the violent acts you mentioned, believe they are providing a "service-to-others" as well as themselves, by ridding the world of something they deem to be evil.
However, the people who are harmed or killed in their attacks, would consider the attacker to be completely selfish, or concerned only with "service-to-self".
They should, therefore, be categorized as people who commit "service to self in the service of others", I suppose. It would be a subset under STS, and could use the acronym, STSSO.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

EVIL is supposed to be bad .. right? .. well usually when someone does something bad ... they usually have a GOOD reason .. even if it is for themself a good reason and for no one else.... See where I'm going.. ???

So how do you spin out good from the murder the man named Couey did to Jessica Lunsford in Florida. There is evil and every person is tempted to do it. Some people act upon it. If you say there is no evil, then you have your eyes closed and ears plugged.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Originally posted by steggyD
But then, we would almost all agree that people who kill other people for no reason are evil.

I could never agree that almost all people who kill other people for no reason are evil.

I could agree that those people have problems, which if defined and isolated, may be able to be overcome. These people have sicknesses, and it isn't an act of Satan, or some intangible 'other' energy form that exists in the universe forcing these people into their behavior. They have problems, just like other people have problems, but they cannot manage them in a reasonable fashion due to the effect the mental illnesses have on them.

When was the last time you heard of anyone being tried and convicted of being evil? Salem? And before that probably the Spanish Inquisition?

Hey, wake up and smell the 21st century.

Did you read my last post? I did not say that there is an evil force of energy. Read up a few posts from this post of yours. Killing someone for no reason is morally wrong, which by definition is evil. Unless, of course, you think that killing someone for no reason is morally right? If you do, then maybe you need to come to the 21st century. Oh wait, that's now, and it still happens. Wow, people are still doing things that are morally wrong!!!

[edit on 19-3-2005 by steggyD]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This subject is just a scratch on the surface... once that is understood and exercised the horizon is limitless... (that doesn't mean killing people for reason, or doing things for purpose no matter their societal labels... it means the opposite.. NOT doing those societal taboos... because you know like A is the opposite of Z ...... but you forget the possible letters inbetween.... Where is that John Titor character... he seemed to understand that pretty good...

I know theres lots of people who'll read this thread and misunderstand what I'm trying to relay .. but for those who do understand I'm glad to see others who understand nature on a smaller than a visual/physical scale...

I realize it may seem I'm uneducated because I lack the terms and equations, but what I'm telling you isn't a fairy tale... its more correct than the view of information you see on your television screens, its those TV screens that make it impossible for you to understand this in the "real world" because they make those electrons look so real and ideal.

Timothy Leary wasn't far off in his "incoherent" ramblings...
but instead of using ACID to:

Turn on, Tune in, and Drop Out...

people are using TV to do exactly the same.... to drop out of reality.

We base our lives off of a blank screen with electrons positioned in a way to appear realistic..

We listen to a company that sells us opinion, they take the group they support and give them air time, and through careful selection they pick groups that all have common ideals, or different perspectives on the same ideal... because if being a musical artist you decide to make an album and you make it full of angry songs, your going to look like an angry person... so a GOOD artist will make an album FULL of emotions, but all those emotions will be from one source... so one could say that they are all ONE emotion... which is what has happened with TV... Its all just one persons opinion, collectively even.... You cannot have democracy.... people will have to make sacrifices within the democracy to make a democracy true... and then your leaving out someones true opinion.

EDIT: .... Evil exists because we created it... It's time to kill it. Do your part by killing it within yourself... but first you have to kill your ego...

[edit on 19/3/05 by dnero6911]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join