It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From High School to Adulthood / Were you Born Into This World as a person of Privaledge?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

It been about hate for 40,000+ years. I am trying to pint out the connection of wealth and political power to stomp on the common man via Covid-19 and So where do you sit?

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: Fools

TeYou are a strange thing for a registered Republicanxt

Its better than being evil with an agenda fool.

Scranton

Good for you. As for Scranton? Where did that come from. As in Scranton, PA? Scranton your arse? I

I was raised on the edge of town, Saint Charles county Missouri specifically. I was rural I suppose, but then the developers came in and ruined it all. Luckily for me, I wasn't too much into rural living so it wasn't a problem for me. I fished, I hunted, I farmed a little bit for my neighbors. Bailing hay and other things.
I worked fast food, served in the USN as a plumber and other things, worked as a courier, a waiter, a cook, a kitchen manager, a telephone operator, a customer service rep, a network "provisioner", a network engineer, a senior network engineer, a network manager, and some other garbage...
I have been to about I think 25 of the 50 states in the USA. I have lived in 3 of the 50 states of the USA....
I have been to the Bahamas, St. Croix, St Thomas, Gitmo, Puerto Rico, France, England, Norway, Holland, Germany, Italy, Egypt, Turkey, and Israel. I have spent about 6 months of my life in 2 of those mentioned.
I have written fiction and I have had some published, I have had one cd of my music published in Holland. Sadly since I suck at both of those things I have never made any money from them.

So, I have been around. And no place I have ever been sounded anything like Joe's Scranton. Actually, Joe's Scranton sounds more like a freaking Bruce Springsteen song than any sort of reality and you are obviously just dreamy enough to buy into it.
edit on 20-11-2020 by Fools because: .

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I was raised by my grandparents on their farms up to age 5. One farm had a Natural Gas lease. Since I didn't see the word POLO in your write up you don't appear in my book to have come from privilege.

You appear to be a working man. My work week was 60-70 hours a week. That's at the factory not some country club.
edit on 20-11-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There has always been a class of people with advantages. Not sure why that is shocking or some sort of revelation. Even in supposedly communist regimes, you still have elites.

The beauty of America though is that one can move up in class fairly easily. Your class isn't determined by birth. You work hard, make the right moves, and move your way up.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So let me get this straight.... the gang of rich kids used to beat you up because you were poor? Doubtful they would even notice you in a room.

And all the girls were cheerleaders and they all were too good for you.

What’s going on here? Are you mad you had to earn a living or something?
Are you the worlds oldest incel?
a reply to: Waterglass

edit on 20-11-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
So let me get this straight.... the gang of rich kids used to beat you up because you were poor? Doubtful they would even notice you in a room.

And all the girls were cheerleaders and they all were too good for you.

Are you the worlds oldest incel?

No, he is a registered Republican apparently. And one that admires slippy sloppy Joe.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm not going to engage any further in right-wing class warfare.

I will only say that if you don't flatten some of the peaks, eventually the towers collapse.

We all need to get more familiar with the Pareto Principle and learn how to apply it. We also need more familiarity with hierarchical structures and the different roles left and right are supposed to play and how the Pareto Principle fits into that dynamic.

Once we figure that out we can get back to normal. No one is going to convince me that the debates and fights going on now are normal. They are clearly engineered. But none of that would be possible if not for the miseducation of Americans coupled with decades of deep apathy toward the political process.

Americans are only now waking up to what is happening. If we don't do figure out what is happening sooner rather than later our children will wake up in a nation not their own and a destiny prescribed to them. The liberty we take for granted won't even be a possibility for them.

It kills me inside to think we would let that happen to our kids. But it seems we are all too content to squabble over real or imaginary privilege and status. I don't begrudge anyone their lot in life no matter how large or small. I don't ask anyone for their money in the pot. All I ask is that we conduct ourselves as ethical human beings and to ensure for our posterity a world where they will have the most important privilege of all...if they can keep it:

Choice.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I never knew that was in Dr. Juran's book. I always just worked off the Pareto Analysis.

So your not:

I'm not going to engage any further in right-wing class warfare

Really so your just going to wussy it out and think by closing your eyes to it all will balance out. Sorry, the barbarians are over the gates and its almost over.

Time to go.

Bye bye.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So from my paternal grandparents side, we have military and nursing. If I go to my grandmother's sister, I'm not sure she ever worked, she married a man that worked his butt off and retired as an EVP at a fairly large firm. They have multiple houses and all of their kids are doctors and lawyers. I don't know a ton on my mother's side, we don't keep tabs on that side of the family.

So far out of my direct line that I know of I'm the first to have a degree, much less multiple degrees. I think as far as income, I think I pull in roughly similar to what my great uncle managed in his career. I know he and I have spoken about investing and other things of that nature. So it's as though the privilege moved kind of sideways to me, as my parents are both former military and current DoD.

So I don't know where that lands me. My wife was a cheerleader, but she came from a very poor family, if that counts for anything.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Ok.

I'll come back when you can communicate like an adult.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
Were you Born Into This World as a person of Privaledge?

I think I must have been born into privilege because I can spell it correctly following a superb education in the worst school in the district. So bad, they closed it down.

lol

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I worked my butt off to get what I have, but at least I had the privilege to ruin my body doing it. I built my own house, I did not go out and buy one, I did not earn a living working a cushy office job with great benefits. I worked right along side Native Americans and hispanics. Even when I was the boss or owner of the company, I never sent in a worker into an area to work in crappy conditions by himself, I went in most times except when my back was bad. I was on the roofs, I was in the ditches mucking sand to level forms. I worked as hard or harder than everyone else, I took the risky jobs because the guys did not have health insurance because I wasn't making enough to pay them decent and pay for healthcare. Sure I had workers comp on them, not on myself. I was more at risk than they were.

It was my privilege to do that though, I guess our freedoms give us rights to be stupid too. My back is really bad, and my hurnia repairs consistantly bother me because I had the privilege of working hard.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
From High School to Adulthood / Were you Born Into This World as a person of Privaledge?

I was too busy working and chasing girls.

If I was privleged.

I'm sure both woulda been handed to me,

Neither were.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yep, we grew up in a political climate and didn't even realize it... When I was a Freshman, the Varsity baseball team wanted to add 3 Freshman to their team so several of us tried out. The three who were chosen all had an older brother on the team. I had an older sister who was the starting 2nd baseman on the Varsity softball team but that wasn't enough. The three who were picked over me were all below me in stats from our Summer ball we all played together and I did better than they did in practice. I just couldn't beat them politically. I never bothered trying out again because I knew it was BS. Did I mention that I'm also white? The white privilege didn't do anything for me. ETA: It never has.
edit on 20-11-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You can live your life in a jealous rage, or you can get to work and make something of yourself. My father was a bartender--when he had a job at all, which was more rare as I got older. I went to a high school like OP with all the jocks and cheerleaders. I didn't do sports, so that way was blocked to me. My parents, needless to say, could not afford to send me to college.

So I did it myself, got myself a career, and retired very well off with more money than I need. By any measure you care to take, I was from the poor side of town with very low prospects. You would have predicted abject failure for me. Now people will look at me and claim I must have led a privileged life.

They have no idea what they are talking about. Those who wallow in self-pity because they did not come from a rich family are missing the boat, and I feel sorry for them. They never did get that it's ON THEM because nobody else owes you jack.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So many people are missing the point of this OP.

It's is not about wallowing in self pity as one has said.

It's is about the more thing change, the more they stay the same.
It's about how can we expect things to get better when those in power have truly never been in the ditches?

Ever see that show undercover boss. Yeah, that show where the CEO goes and work at the grunt level. Most of the time it is so eye opening for the bosses that they end up being a combination of ashamed, shocked, crying, and a changed person.
The problem is our leaders will never know what most "average" Americans go through. They are so far removed. I'm not talking left or right because it is truly both sides!

edit on 20-11-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
shumer

L M F A O

guy is only 'famous' because of his mother's belief system.

his neice, ugly af, only famous, because of her mother's belief system.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This whole “privilege” thing is a bunch of BS.

If I was born into privilege, that probably means my family worked their ass off to make it that way...

I wasn't....but just sayin...

Maybe “jealousy” is the term we should be taking a look at?

Work....work...work..and then work some more.....that's how I became Fn “privileged”...

Next time someone calls you privileged because you worked for it, tell them to GFY.....straight up.

edit on 11/20/2020 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was born to a 16 year old mother and a father who almost immediately bailed to go play in bands. Lived in a car/tent for the first 5 years of my life in Maine and then a string of rundown, dilapidated apartments after. The town I grew up in was either middle-class or dirt poor and it didn’t matter what color you were, if you were poor, the middle class looked at us all as cockroaches. Elementary and middle school were pretty sh*tty as far as treatment from my peers.

HS was different. I suppose I ‘slid in the backdoor’. I was 16 and playing in a couple local bands with guys in their 30’s and 40’s, playing the local bars until 2am on school nights, then roll into school at 7am smelling like PBR and cigarettes. From those gigs I’d meet some college kids and end up at their parties, where the HS kids would see me. Lewiston was a fairly conservative town and at that point I was a raging party animal, like the chug half a bottle of vodka and do a backflip off a picnic table on the last guzzle kind of party animal, while my peers would be sipping on their first beer, thinking they were grown ups. For a while I was hooking up with a college chick, which just added to it. I suppose it all created this ‘mystique’ around me and because of that, I ended up being accepted by all the cliques in school.

There was one night in particular when one of the teachers in our HS was at a bar I was playing and he was sh*tfaced, falling down drunk. It was that moment where I had an epiphany that I think relates to the OP; I remember thinking, “Wait a minute, this guy is just another f*ck up. Despite his appearance at school, he clearly doesn’t have his sh*t together.” And that’s when I realized that we don’t go through some threshold of adulthood where you all of a sudden change characters and become super smart at this or that, or have any additional life knowledge placed in your brain. If you were a dumbass in high school, there’s a good chance you’ll be a dumbass as an adult. There’s no on/off switch for that.

So yeah, I can definitely catch the drift of the OP. While some people mature and grow up, that doesn’t automatically mean their observations and judgements on the rest of the world will change. You can be mature and responsible but still be intellectually/spiritually bankrupt.

For the clowns in DC born with silver spoons in their mouths, well, I was just saying the other day; I would LOVE to have every member of congress play a game where they have to guess the price of average, every day items from a grocery store. A gallon of milk, 4 rolls of toilet paper, pasta sauce, etc. Howard Stern did it a while back and he bombed because it had been years since he’d been to a grocery store.

We elect people to “speak” for us who are so out of touch, it’s impossible for them to truly grasp what they are representing. How can someone making $134K a year truly speak for someone making $20K a year, without having a dime to their name after bills are paid? Or someone working 3 jobs to put food on the table? You can’t. These politicians have ZERO f*cking clue what it’s like to be so poor that you’re eating handfuls of snow just because it’ll stop your stomach from screaming.

Alas, somehow I’ve done ok for myself. I suppose between both my wife and I, we’re reaching upper-middle class with our income. I learned from my parent’s mistakes and growing up dirt poor has certainly shaped me politically. Due to the mass abuse of welfare I saw growing up and seeing first hand how social workers helped my mother find excuses to NOT work or to get more benefits, I became disgusted by both my mother and the system. I had to bust my ass to get where I’m at now and never once reached for a handout. While some would think that’d turn me into a conservative/republican, somehow I turned out a left-leaning libertarian. I believe in a safety net, I just don’t believe in the people in control of that safety net.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
shumer

L M F A O

guy is only 'famous' because of his mother's belief system.

his neice, ugly af, only famous, because of her mother's belief system.

I never knew Amy Schumer was related to Chuck. I looked it up, they’re like, 3rd cousins?

I know I originally saw her on Last Comic Standing, I can’t tell you a damn thing about the belief systems of their mothers. Can’t say I find her overly funny, she’s made me laugh a couple times but not enough to follow her. I’d rather listen to the same old Bill Hicks material for the thousandth time, or Bill Burr, Segoya, Louis CK, Joey Diaz, etc.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join