It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Truth Possible On ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

I just chuckle when my posts get removed now, especially if they’re removed for “Manners” or a “Serious TOS Violation”.

LOL! I had a good chuckle at the last comment of mine that was removed too! It wasn't even insulting or mean... it was actually a light-hearted comment. I am seeing a pattern though in that all the comments being removed are to a certain august member of the forum. And not even when we're arguing! I'm starting to feel like we're the kids the teacher has to separate in class so we don't disrupt the entire class...

You can openly express your enthusiasm for shooting people you don’t agree with or call a left-leaning member every name you can throw at them, but something like “I question your ability to decipher information due to the a low level of intelligence”....that’s bad manners!

I know... go figure! But I'm giving the Mods (most of them) the benefit of the doubt. I don't know everything they have to consider and take into account in making these decisions, and there are most likely factors involved that I'm not even aware of. Maybe sometimes it's just easier for them to nip it in the bud than letting something escalate? Or they get weary of babysitting the brats? Plus, their playground -- their rules.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
There is way more truth on ATS than in main street media these days. We know here that Biden is not president elect yet, but most media say he is.

They say that Republicans are unintelligent yet I see no common sense in a lot of Democrats, they believe lies and deceptions and do not question them at all. Intelligence and book smart are too different things, intelligence has to do with ability to reason, to compare and analyze. Booksmart is the ability to accept what the writers of the books want us to believe. Even science is full of flaws and deceit, many scientists want prestige and will make things up to get that prestige. Anything that does not follow consensus of the time we live in is discounted, because popular gets scientists funding.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bluesilver

Nope. Not possible when every reader posts any and all issues, fake or not ..and argue the validity.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Hamlin

But if you want to look deeper into why ATS has turned this way its because ATS either willfully or not has allowed right wing trolls to infest it.

Bravo sierra. The "right wing trolls" of today are no better or worse than the left wing trolls of the Obama years. Nothing is stopping the left from making their case. ATS isn't banning the left from posting. If the left aren't represented it's because they cannot or will not engage.

But, of course, that's what cancel culture's all about, right? Why engage when you can just shut them down... except on ATS. And that's the real problem, eh???

Yeah, I always get a bit of a laugh when I see one of these threads pop up about 'right wing trolls. This place has always been a partisan dumpster fire and I've been around long enough to remember when the 'left wing' trolls dominated this place. Somewhere along the way, the balance shifted with more conservatives on the site and now, in the last few years since that happened, it's suddenly unfair and 'ATS has gotta do something about it!' That time was about 15 years ago, to be honest.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
*PS forums are discussion...and not all truths...but it gets played that way

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

a reply to: Hamlin

But if you want to look deeper into why ATS has turned this way its because ATS either willfully or not has allowed right wing trolls to infest it.

Bravo sierra. The "right wing trolls" of today are no better or worse than the left wing trolls of the Obama years. Nothing is stopping the left from making their case. ATS isn't banning the left from posting. If the left aren't represented it's because they cannot or will not engage.

But, of course, that's what cancel culture's all about, right? Why engage when you can just shut them down... except on ATS. And that's the real problem, eh???

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Me too.

I’ve been called all kinds of things, and many, many, attempts at insult, but I try never to resort to that.

I don’t call people names, I don’t resort to insults (there could be some minor infractions, but as a rule no).

I simply state, in clear words, what I think.

edit on Thu Nov 19 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just WHO would decide what is really truth?

We never get the "truth". You're gonna decide "Oh, wow! That's really true!"

Wake up. The only truths are we live and we die and try to have a little fun on the way.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Your wrong, this is not a place about finding and presenting the truth. You take too much for granted. This place is about posters presenting what they believe is the truth. It's up to you whether you believe it or not, but the premise is posters present what they present and it's up to YOU to go and find out the truth of the matter.
Now, take for example the MSM whether it's biased or not. Go and check yourself and actually see the pure evidence of bias. If you can't see that then there is no hope for you.

Just so we are clear, you are saying that we shouldn't try and dissuade people from making threads that are biased/outright lies designed to just push their own agenda and narrative?

I would have honestly thought that you would have wanted to protect a site that searches for the truth, from those who are hell bent on perpetuating unqualified propaganda.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: vor78

Yeah, I always get a bit of a laugh when I see one of these threads pop up about 'right wing trolls. This place has always been a partisan dumpster fire and I've been around long enough to remember when the 'left wing' trolls dominated this place. Somewhere along the way, the balance shifted with more conservatives on the site and now, in the last few years since that happened, it's suddenly unfair and 'ATS has gotta do something about it!' That time was about 15 years ago, to be honest.

It's definitely cyclical. And for obvious reasons. Our interest is in the one with the power... for obvious reasons. And people are happy to show support when it's their guy in power. People are happy to support what works for them. When they lose power, there is nothing to support. So there isn't as much to say.

But it is a shame when the opposition declines to engage. The "loyal opposition" is a necessary and beneficial factor in a successful and moral Republic.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The real leftist debaters left ATS when Hillary lost the election .
Now , for the most part , the only ones left are the foreign leftist and one "Noid" .
So , the remainder start threads like this after they got their "taters tore up" in the mudpit looking for sympathy .
Misery loves company.

In what way am I looking for sympathy?

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

a reply to: chr0naut

I have often had what I thought were humorous responses to other posters removed as "off topic" while, in the same topic thread, numerous posters do nothing but insult others, and don't contribute to the thread, not even humorously, but their posts remain. So...

LOL -- you and me both! I don't get it... but I obviously don't have to. And I'll just be thankful that getting my hand smacked is the worst that I've suffered at ATS. I've been banned for life by a couple of conservative websites

However, I do not envy the Mods and I sure don't want their job! So I do try to behave... usually.

I always try and remain polite but I must admit, I have started to make the occasional alert to the mods when someone is just not participating in reasoned debate. Perhaps if we all began to do that, the penny might drop?

I complained once a few years ago.

I was told to get a thicker skin.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I personally don't think a list of acceptable news sources is either necessary or correct (although i do understand where you are coming from).

However, i do think that some clearly biased (either way) sites when used as sources should be called out by all members and, if proven to be false, immediately moved to Hoax.

At the end of the day, it doesn't do any of us (whatever your beliefs) any good to simply peddle nonsense.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
What is the truth?

The ideological divide is so wide that if you choose to be on one side or the other you are entrenched in your sides ideological truth. That “truth” is created by lies from your sides politicians and spread to the masses by your sides biased media outlets. Politicians and the media are purposely fake and deceitful but only if they are on the other side.

If you are in bed with the left, that is your truth no matter what. If you are in bed with the right, that is your truth no matter what. To seek out a truth outside of that ideology is treasonous to that sides ideological values. Truth only exists in the vacuum of the side you choose to play on.

Unless you refuse to choose a side, but in doing so you’re looked at as a either a weak-minded centrist or it means your inherently choosing the other side. But by not picking a side you can see the truth: both sides are mentally retarded. I mean that literally and without downgrading the worth of mentally handicapped people who share that same designation.

So in conclusion, truth exists, unless you are choosing to be retarded.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

a reply to: vor78

But it is a shame when the opposition declines to engage. The "loyal opposition" is a necessary and beneficial factor in a successful and moral Republic.

It's a necessity for any democratic system. Some of the hatred on these threads is unreal - even if it can be highly amusing. It should be entirely normal to be respectful and even friendly with people who have differing views to you - and i don't mean we all should be happy clappy love your neighbour types.

At the end of the day, if you can only insult then you have lost the argument.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Just WHO would decide what is really truth?

We never get the "truth". You're gonna decide "Oh, wow! That's really true!"

Wake up. The only truths are we live and we die and try to have a little fun on the way.

My point is shouldn't we dissaude people from posting material which is from completely biased sources when it hasn't been verified AT ALL by the poster? Just that fact I'm having to say that people should investigate the information they read before starting a thread on it seems a bit crazy to me.

Shouldn't there be standards where people only create threads that they have checked out themselves first BEFORE they hit the post button? Especially when they have 1 source and that source is either very, very left or very, very right. Without that, you get what we have now, hundreds of threads that are basically propaganda, lies or misinformation, created for no other purpose than to support their home team.

It baffles me that you wouldn't want to have at least some standards here.
edit on 19-11-2020 by bluesilver because: no reason given

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Errr dude...

Check out the r/Abovetopsecret.com

Some really messed up stuff going on over there regarding me, you and another member but you seem to be the main target, I don't know if there is anything you can do about it but might be worth looking into.

These people are honestly disgusting.

Ah, yes, my fan club. It's like a septic tank for the people who got tossed from here and think I got them banned when it was their own stupid behavior that did.

Just checking that out. Have to confess i had no idea what Reddit was!
Is it wrong that i can't stop laughing at some of it?!

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I think there are a lot of people that don't want a discussion. They want to have an echo chamber because they're afraid of having their beliefs challenged. They'd rather pretend opposing viewpoints don't exist rather than be confronted with the possibility that their own views may be proven wrong. That's not a left/right issue, but just how people often are.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

If you are in bed with the left, that is your truth no matter what. If you are in bed with the right, that is your truth no matter what.

Sadly, that does seem to be the case nowadays. Maybe i'm too old fashioned but i do long for the days when, whether you were Left, Right or Centrist, you still called out nonsense from "your side".

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

It's a necessity for any democratic system. Some of the hatred on these threads is unreal - even if it can be highly amusing. It should be entirely normal to be respectful and even friendly with people who have differing views to you - and i don't mean we all should be happy clappy love your neighbour types.

I'm shocked sometimes at the level of pure hate and hostility for others. I think one of the very worst aspects of identity politics is this focus on the person and not the issue, and that disagreement necessarily equals mortal enemy. The amount of energy and emotion some people put into hating others is mind boggling to me. The same about the level of energy and emotion spent judging others when they can just walk away.

Good people can disagree. Good people who disagree can also find common ground and mutual understandings when they try. These days, no one even tries.

At the end of the day, if you can only insult then you have lost the argument.

Yup. I had it drilled into my head from a young age that if I could not back up my opinions with facts, logic and reason, that I didn't have any business having an opinion! My dad actually encouraged and participated in robust debate with us, and asked questions to make us think and to make us expand our perspectives, as well as to make us see the flaws in our thinking or weaknesses in our arguments.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'd say we went from Trusting everything we were told, to questioning a few things, to not believing anything and throwing any sort of correlated data at it to disarm things that aligned with peoples personal beliefs.

We are now in a death spiral of truth - Everyone has a different version of it and can't be convinced otherwise. In most cases, that is impossible.. Both sides can't be 100% correct.. But we have devolved here.

People here rail on TPB but then fall right into their traps. You do realize TPB want this division right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join