It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Truth Possible On ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
For a very long time now on ATS we've had a huge number of political threads started which claim 'the absolute truth' in regards to a story or fact. There are actually several posters who do this pretty much on a daily basis, often multiple times a day. How they have time to do a job and post all these threads is a mystery. However, when you drill down to their sources you find it's just from a source that is aligned with their own political beliefs. I've lost count of threads that come from say, Gateway Pundit on the right, or CNN on the left (to be unbiased about it) or from people connected to either party and all you end up with is muddy waters, you certainly don't get the truth and that is just one reason why this place is dying on its arse.

Some people have issue with the 'MSM' (I'm not even sure who is included in that catchy title) because they feel it is biased and lying to everyone, but then only believe the sources that support their own beliefs (irony anyone). So, how about we make a list of places where we can agree that the information is on the whole, unbiased, fair and equal? Or at least agree that posting from obviously biased sources is not helpful and should be discouraged?

This place was about finding and presenting the truth, it's not about creating or perpetuating propaganda from sources which are obviously slanted in one direction. Before people say "if you don't like it, leave" (a) that's what a lot of people are doing anyway and why the site is dying and (b) that doesn't make this place any more impartial or interested in the truth. If you want the person who is after truth to leave, that kind of proves my entire point. I have zero feet in either political camp, I'm just tired of wading through the lies, false-hoods and propadanda that is spreading throughout this place. Ultimately, the more we have thread after thread based on biased sources, the more we are putting a nail into the coffin of ATS.

Thoughts anyone?

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Definitely maybe - Oasis

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   
No, this place has definitely become a partisan sounding board. Particularly right wing. The amount of political fighting here has superseded all else, and the partisans have completely abandoned objectivity or critical thinking. Gone are the days of the great discussions of extraterrestrials, gods, psychic phenomena etc. It’s really just grown into one huge mud pit.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: bluesilver

Our own little ATS Ministry of Truth? These sources are acceptable but those sources are not?

(And pay no attention to Smith-Mundt behind the curtain...)

I have a better idea. How about we stop focusing on the messenger and focus on the message? How about we step out of our echo chambers and stop getting all our information from one place? How about we learn to distinguish between our opinions and facts? How about we demand the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? How about we stop deluding ourselves that we can trust ANYONE???

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesilver
Is The Truth Possible On ATS?

When we started using random people's Twitter feeds as evidence we lost the narrative.

(post by Hamlin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Reasons behind not finding credible sources stem back to the Obama era

www.congress.gov...

While the meaning of this bill is disputed, but if you will read it yourself it becomes clear on the intent.

In addition, Obama's anti-free press with locking up reporters who won't reveal their sources among other questionable actions in sabotaging a free press.

www.duluthnewstribune.com...

It is the reason it is referred to as fake news in reference to opposing viewpoints.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Unfortunately truth has become relative to ones political persuasion.

So the answer is absolutely not.

Facts are not facts unless they are line with preconceived beliefs that often tie into political ideology, otherwise its all fake news.

I think most members have forgotten what it means to critically appraise a source, its more important that a source backs up a political stand point than it is for the source to be correct and reputable.

This is all compounded by a team blue vs team red score card that we call stars and flags, make a dig at team blue get loads of nice shiny stars and the validation of others, doesn't matter if what is said is logical or factually correct, doesn't matter if its an eloquent counter argument so long as it is an argument....have a few stars. Ohh and if your really feeling like a self-esteem boost why not just post a thread that contains nothing but a link to your favourite twitter feed or debunked youtube video.

Truth cannot be found on ATS, we are now basically one big long argument that boils down to Team Trump and Team...not trump.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I wonder if Simon Grey, the creator and founder of ATS ever looks in these days.

If he does, i think he would be appalled by what ATS has become.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
I wonder if Simon Grey, the creator and founder of ATS ever looks in these days.

Last login was November 2nd of this year.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hamlin

But if you want to look deeper into why ATS has turned this way its because ATS either willfully or not has allowed right wing trolls to infest it.

Bravo sierra. The "right wing trolls" of today are no better or worse than the left wing trolls of the Obama years. Nothing is stopping the left from making their case. ATS isn't banning the left from posting. If the left aren't represented it's because they cannot or will not engage.

But, of course, that's what cancel culture's all about, right? Why engage when you can just shut them down... except on ATS. And that's the real problem, eh???

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: alldaylong

Last login was November 2nd of this year.

That has answered my question. Thank you for that.

(post by OtherSideOfTheCoin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Actually it's largely in the Mudpit or Rant forum, where folks get to blow off steam or go crazy for their side, the rest of the board I'd better behave in content and style.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I’ve debated the definition of ‘truth’ on ATS with various members in the past, so my opinion is an informed one.

So lemme tell you - no.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

You would think that after these shady sources that have been shown to be wrong time and time again, would lose all credibility by now.

But people love to come up with super mysterious conspiracies on why they are actually right or why whatever BS they said was going to happen, never happens.

Just wait. Its coming. They actually have the goods this time....yea right.

edit on 19-11-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Our own little ATS Ministry of Truth? These sources are acceptable but those sources are not?

(And pay no attention to Smith-Mundt behind the curtain...)

I have a better idea. How about we stop focusing on the messenger and focus on the message? How about we step out of our echo chambers and stop getting all our information from one place? How about we learn to distinguish between our opinions and facts? How about we demand the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? How about we stop deluding ourselves that we can trust ANYONE???

I'm not saying one side bans what they don't like, more that I would hope that it could be agreed that we have some sort of consensus, a guide if you like, that SOME sources are unhelpful and we should stop using those methods to 'prove' something. Or if for arguements sake, Gateway Pundit is given as a source, we also need another independent source to verify it before creating another thread saying "THIS IS THE EVIDENCE WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!".

It just seems ridiculous to me that we have post after post stating 'facts' which have come from obviously biased sources, with no attempt to actually investigate whether it is true or not.

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Quid est veritas?

I hear you about the partisanship of the site, but there have been political figures who cast doubt on everything. I think that ATS is really following societal trend where an outrageous and attention getting post or article is given weight it doesn't deserve.

The media is full of sites with headlines that allege, "Boom: New stuff that will shake the world!" and then afterwards the subject is quietly dropped because it was an empty allegation. But it gets reader clicks, which generates revenue.

And what we used to call a lie is now called an "alternate fact". LOL. And now there are people and/or groups that only put forward these alternate facts, and their cryptic and meaningless junk is consumed by those who don't want to find the truth, but merely want to be sequentially outraged.

The Bible talks about "the father of lies", I wonder who in today's headlines, would best fit that epithet?

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Errr dude...

Check out the r/Abovetopsecret.com

Some really messed up stuff going on over there regarding me, you and another member but you seem to be the main target, I don't know if there is anything you can do about it but might be worth looking into.

These people are honestly disgusting.
edit on 19-11-2020 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join