It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prime Minister bans petrol and diesel cars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

New cars and vans powered wholly by petrol and diesel will not be sold in the UK from 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

But some hybrids would still be allowed, he confirmed.

It is part of what Mr Johnson calls a "green industrial revolution" to tackle climate change and create jobs in industries such as nuclear energy.

Source: BBC news

Is this a good idea? How will this affect the UK economy - as if BREXIT was not enough? Is this a trend that the rest of the world will follow? If there is a ban on petrol and diesel cars under Biden - would you be onboard? A lot of countries and industries are reliant on oil, what will happen to these if there is a world-wide ban?

-MM
edit on 18-11-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

There isn’t a ban as you will still be able to drive older cars and new hybrids.

IMO, it’s just following what has happened in the past (going from all petrol, to mostly diesel cars) with our government giving a bit of a push.

In 50 years, people will have Range Rovers in aircon garages and they’ll be “classics”.
edit on 18112020 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

So, then you can´t sell your car as no one will be allowed to buy it used and you´ll have to scrap it?

-MM

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

So, then you can´t sell your car as no one will be allowed to buy it used and you´ll have to scrap it?

-MM

It doesn’t say anything about not being able to buy used cars.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:43 AM
link   

How strange as older cars generally pollute more than newer cars - so weird to only ban new cars but allow for old cars to be sold then?! I can imagine that it´ll be like Cuba with tons of old gas and diesel cars that people keep repairing.

-MM
edit on 18-11-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:46 AM
link   

More than 14 countries and over 20 cities around the world have proposed banning the sale of passenger vehicles (primarily cars and buses) powered by fossil fuels such as petrol, liquefied petroleum gas and diesel at some time in the future.

en.wikipedia.org...

It’s happening. The above article mentions hydrogen - that seems to be the next big thing

financialpost.com...

Currently, Australia, China, Germany, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and the United Kingdom are pursuing hydrogen strategies to reduce carbon emissions because hydrogen produces water vapour rather than CO2 when it combusts in combination with oxygen.

edit on 18-11-2020 by snowspirit because: Added

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Advances in alternative energy vehicles have come on leaps and bounds, and it was only a matter of time that fossil fuelled vehicles would cease being produced. Although, within 10 years is a little earlier than I thought.

The air quality will improve massively in all parts of the country and this is a welcomed move from environmentalists, no doubt.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
My 2001 Jaguar XK8 (petrol) has lower emissions than modern day petrol cars.
Just hope Geraldine (my pet name for her) has another 10 years in her at least!
Not liking this new announcement at all. I did some research a while back into these electric cars, I'm not denying they might have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, but I'm still not on board not so much with lesser emissions, but with the costs etc to extraction of rare earth etc etc.
Also ;listening to the news this morning, the example was given of a Vauxhall Corse I think it was costing £26k. The answer from the supporter of this new move was ....finance so people could afford to buy them!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

That´s a real beauty of a car.

-MM

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Thank you, she is. If I knew how to post a photo of her I would

Rainbows
Janw

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   

In all honesty, i wa spitting feathers at the news this morning (and not at Piers Morgan for once!). However, having thought about it, i am actually fairly sanguine about it now.

Quite simply, we do need to move away from fossil fuels. Hydrogen makes far more sense as it is so abundant and the off shoot is.....water (instead of harmful gases).

At the end of the day, technology advances. 150 years ago, people were skeptical about oil and gas.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Yep it been on the government propaganda channel here in Blighty today so its must be true. More govt intervention into how live our lives and may do this this and that only with their green lighting of approval to breathe air soon the way its going.

Gonna be a major challenge during Coronna recovery in addition to Brexit................ Maybe Bozza is just trying to stimulate the engineering over here and get bthings buzzing but it's promises like this every day with the 'Green Revolution' I just hope it makes a dent in the economic catastrophe facing the Earth and if India, China etc don't join in this revolution it's going to go nowhere bar a lot more doddering around and flatulance

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The UK gubment really pushed diesels for a long time, only to then start to ban them after everyone got one ffs, so you think they will invest in the infrastructure to handle all these electric cars? Hmmmm? Guess how much electric thats gonna eat? Peeps think they are getting something for free...nope.

Lets do some math
There are @40 million cars in the UK, so lets just use half of that to calculate electricity needs.

An average EV uses 3120kw/h per year based on 10,900 miles travelled per year.

Add that up and its approximately 62.5 billion kilowatts per year, which equates to 62.5 million Mega watts.

In 2018, the R.E. Ginna nuclear power plant actually generated at total of 4,689,440 MWh.

Divide that up and I get 12-14 new nuclear power plants. Imagine how many windmills and/or solar fields would be needed.

Can someone double check my math please!?

www.chargevc.org...

www.google.com... hrome&ie=UTF-8

www.eia.gov...#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20if%20the%20R.E.,it%20would%20generate%205%2C098%2C320%20MWh.

www.google.com... eid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Currently, Australia, China, Germany, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and the United Kingdom are pursuing hydrogen strategies to reduce carbon emissions because hydrogen produces water vapour rather than CO2 when it combusts in combination with oxygen.

Seems counter-intuitive when water vapor makes up 95% of greenhouse gases and CO2 only 3%.....

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Money maker.

Capture the water vapour, re distill and flog to water poor nations.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   
So he plans on using more energy to create energy to power cars 🤔

Fuel Cells currently from what I understand still rape the earth to produce.

Hydrogen you need your own small scale collider to create the fuel or a large scale collider and depots, still using energy to create energy.

Electric well it’s in the name the electricity comes from some where (diesel and gas plants or nuclear)

So unless there is a magic bean you throw in a tank I feel we’re still a long way off or just pandering to the Greta’s of the world.

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Me and another dude made our own hydrogen generator for our cars. We saw a 10% max increase in fuel, but you need another battery and it gets HOT!

Plus you need a carb cuz modern computers want to richen up the mixture as a car wants to run around 14.7 to 1 AFR.

a reply to: SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Reminds me of Obama Cash for Clunkers debacle, only bigger and stupider.
edit on 2020 11 18 by incoserv because: formatting.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I would like to see a picture of Geraldine...a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

On an episode of C to C AM Had an old scientist on who had done similar and had implored the need for quite a bit of specialized equipment (collider) to create the fuel. And said as it’s not illegal to own one the usage of one needs special certifications, hence throwing a road block up for those trying to get going.

But as a side that’s awesome a proof that most things are achievable. And 10% is a decent return anything really with fuel prices is nice 👍

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join