It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British PM close to selling the UK out in negotiations with EU

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I remember back when we were discusisng Scottish independence prior to the once-in-a-lifetime referendum back in 2014 - was it really six years ago? - and at the start I used to ridicule the Nats for their belief that Scotland could survive as an independent state free from both the UK and EU.

But over time I gave careful consideration to the arguments presented to me and I did some of my own research etc.
And I came to the conclusion that of course Scotland could survive, and even prosper - I was wrong and they had been right.
And I still believe that is true to day - I just think Scotland and the UK are BETTER TOGETHER and we have a far better chance of making real and meaningful change staying within our Union - a massively different type of Union than the EU.

The specifics aren't really the point I'm making; the point is that I was willing to consider different opinions to mine and was capable of changing my previously passionately held opinion.

edit on 20/11/20 by Freeborn because: yet more fukcing typo's!

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Once Scotland wins Independence it will be back trading within Europe within a year or so. Then Westminster and Whitehall can get on their knees and beg Scotland for a deal. any deal.

Um. You do realise that even with a "no deal" we will continue to trade with countries in the EU. Are you spending too much time in the echo chamber?

Trade with them at what cost? Everyone we ask for a deal now holds the ace cards while we try and bluff our way with a fistful of Jokers.

We won't enjoy the same tariffs as we once had. Just in Europe alone there are 27 countries that will now price gouge everyone in Britain. Including half the country that voted to stay in Europe.

Add to that the US and any other country that we go crawling to begging for a deal and where are we?. Donald Ducked.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

We won't enjoy the same tariffs as we once had. Just in Europe alone there are 27 countries that will now price gouge everyone in Britain.

The top 15 countries we export from, only 7 of them are in The EU. Therefore the other 20 do very little if any exports into The UK. So the figure of 27 countries is nonsense.

www.worldstopexports.com...

The EU has a trade surplus with The UK of £79 billion. The EU are the biggest losers here. And lets not forget, tarriffs work both ways.

Don't let facts get in your way.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Not sure your aware but tariffs can go both ways. If they dont like what Germany has in tariffs they simply put a tariff on german goods. As far as the EU the UK brought in more business from outside the EU. This is why the EU is doomed to fail now.

The French and the Germans are already in a dispute over creating a fund to help failing member states. The french want to use money to prop up italy and spain the germans do not. Without help Spain and Italy will fail. and the EU lost a considerable amount of capitol with the loss of the UK. And it seems like the French and the Germans are not going to get along when it comes to EU policy.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

We won't enjoy the same tariffs as we once had. Just in Europe alone there are 27 countries that will now price gouge everyone in Britain.

The top 15 countries we export from, only 7 of them are in The EU. Therefore the other 20 do very little if any exports into The UK. So the figure of 27 countries is nonsense.

www.worldstopexports.com...

The EU has a trade surplus with The UK of £79 billion. The EU are the biggest losers here. And lets not forget, tarriffs work both ways.

Don't let facts get in your way.

Value of trade with EU is equivalent of between 10 & 15% of UK economy.

Trade with UK is less than 4 % of value of EU economy.

Facts and all that.

Brexit hurts both the EU & UK economy but it's far more likely to hurt us more.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Not sure your aware but tariffs can go both ways. If they dont like what Germany has in tariffs they simply put a tariff on german goods. As far as the EU the UK brought in more business from outside the EU. This is why the EU is doomed to fail now.

The French and the Germans are already in a dispute over creating a fund to help failing member states. The french want to use money to prop up italy and spain the germans do not. Without help Spain and Italy will fail. and the EU lost a considerable amount of capitol with the loss of the UK. And it seems like the French and the Germans are not going to get along when it comes to EU policy.

Tariffs are bad for the economy applied to and the economy applying them.

The absolute worst thing the UK can do is get involved in a trade war with the EU.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join