It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ecco the Dolphin, the Movie:" Relaxing Video, BEST Quality on YouTube

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hey I've been mostly stagnant with my YouTube channel this year, but I just put this together, and I'm excited about it (as a huge fan of Ecco the Dolphin).

...And folks who are NOT huge fans of Ecco, can STILL enjoy the vid, purely for relaxation: Calming music, and great early-3D graphics, of nature. (So it should be a relaxing, positive viewing experience for anyone.)

"Ecco the Dolphin, the Movie" is the 14-minute long "Movie," which comes from several smaller vid clips, being combined into one larger video. It works as a short movie, because the clips all flow together, and it tells the full story arc of Ecco's first adventure.

Most people have probably never seen it, even most Ecco fans have probably not seen it, because it was limited to a couple games that were most limited and niche, within the series:

First, these vid clips were part of... the Sega CD version of Ecco's 2nd title, Tides of Time.

Next, the vids were released as part of... "Ecco PC," which was the hugely-upgraded 32-bit version of Ecco's first title, released for Windows computers. These best-quality versions are what I combined to make my video. (Ecco PC lets you easily browse its contents, including these vid files, so it was just really easy and natural for me to combine them into one larger video, just for myself... and then I saw that YT was lacking such a best-quality version of the Movie, so I think I'm actually contributing something to YT.)

Well what else can I say, besides mentioning that, as always, my channel is NOT monetized, in ANY form.

However, after I make a vid that I'm exciting about, I would prefer that it actually does get viewed a bit by others (rather than viewed by nobody), so that's why I'm posting about it, like this... especially that this vid really does bring some positivity and upliftment to the world.

So if interested, please enjoy:

(post by dug88 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's probably forgotten by most youngins where the ECCO name attached to dolphins came from.

Look up John C Lilly, certain substances and the entities from E.C.C.O.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JamesChessman

Lol...

Thank you for providing this amazing video of Ecco the dolphin. Ecco is such an endearing childhood memory for me.

I have no comments available for Ecco the dolphin that are suitable for ATS, as the mods have made clear.

I will let the Angry Video Game Nerd explain

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
It's probably forgotten by most youngins where the ECCO name attached to dolphins came from.

Look up John C Lilly, certain substances and the entities from E.C.C.O.

Yooo, this is actually not true.

I have a tiny bit of info about that, which I need to make a vid about, and it will absolutely clarify that no, Ecco was not based on John C. Lilly, not even his E.C.C.O. aliens... despite how obvious it would seem to all line up.

It's become a common misunderstanding, the last number of years.

However, I still recommend that people learn a bit about John C. Lilly, and his very wild ideas (that he wrote books about).

Lilly's ideas came from his very regular practice of floating in a tub, or tank of water, while being fed a hallucinogen through IV needle, to make him hallucinate his brains out.

He honestly believed that he spent such time in real-life telepathic communication with aliens, those good E.C.C.O. aliens, who protect Earth against the evil cyborg aliens.

What's compelling is that... it's entirely possible that he was right, and that he really was communicating with entities.

However, in my opinion: the needle itself should be evidence enough, that his habit was self-destructive... He almost drowned several times in the water because he would become so altered that he couldn't even move his body. The drug itself was just essentially life-threatening to the user, because it shuts down the body's functions.

Anyways, fascinating stuff that's worth checking out... as much as I think he was going wrong, in his endeavors...

He was certainly a one-of-a-kind person, lol.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It's possible it's a coincidence and not remotely related, but if so, that in itself is pretty interesting.

It's also possible the game dolphin was named as an homage to Lilly; but to avoid any intellectual property lawsuits from money hungry surviving family an opposing narrative was cooked up.

And the dolphin having a "lung capacity of a 4 pack a day smoker..." from the deleted, angry post... Heh.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

No, Ecco the dolphin came from a crazy Japanese dude, with some level of sadism, who worked on educational software, was inspired by echolocation and paleontological artwork, got a job with sega had a life dream to make a dolphin game, basically told sega, yeah, you're making this #ing game, sega cowered before the wrath of dolphin dude and was like yeah okok whatever just please don't hurt us.

Dolphin dude was given free reign to make a game without artistic limitations. He clearly made some pacts with the devil and #, pulled out some unholy rituals and conjured Ecco.

Don't believe me? Look up, the history behind ecco the dolphin. I'm not lying here.
edit on 17/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

It's possible it's a coincidence and not remotely related, but if so, that in itself is pretty interesting.

It's also possible the game dolphin was named as an homage to Lilly; but to avoid any intellectual property lawsuits from money hungry surviving family an opposing narrative was cooked up.

And the dolphin having a "lung capacity of a 4 pack a day smoker..." from the deleted, angry post... Heh.

Yes, it seems established now (and I still need to make my video to show it), that Ecco was not named after E.C.C.O., nor is any part of Ecco's series based on anything from Lilly.

So yes, there are coincidences that would seem obviously connected... which are not actually connected.

Actually, the "grain of truth" that led to the false connection, is that: Ecco's creator DID state that he had read some writing from John C. Lilly.

But the problem is: Beyond that, it was everyone's false conclusion about a direct inspiration from Lilly, to Ecco, which wasn't really there.

My impression is that Ecco's creator is a big sci-fi fan, in general... and whatever he did read from Lilly, must have just been a small drop, that he glanced at... among an ocean of sci-fi books and movies etc. that he spent his life, consuming.

No, Ecco's name wasn't an homage to Lilly... because truly, it seems established now that there's just nothing connecting the two topics. And not just saying it for avoiding IP lawsuits or things like that. (...I mean, I think it's as clear and convincing, as possible.)

For one thing, I wouldn't expect Lilly's relatives to think of that (trying to sue SEGA over the name of their game character), because AFAIK they don't have any kind of active organization, or corporation etc., which would be even thinking like that. I think his relatives are probably more just slightly embarrassed of Lilly's work and insanity, and I think they've all pursued completely different paths, unrelated to Lilly. (Someone correct me if wrong, but that's my impression...)

But beyond that, it would be an impossible accusation anyway (that SEGA stole Lilly's ideas). Because there never was a direct correlation, like Lilly's E.C.C.O. doesn't refer to dolphins, it refers to aliens. And SEGA's other larger themes (of aliens taking over planets, etc.) are such universal themes, that they're just staples of science-fiction, in general, and can't be claimed by any one person...

Another thing is that apparently, our dolphin was named partly for... echolocation, and also, partly because "Ecco" has a similar word in Italian, which means, "I see." So that was related to the games' themes of exploring, and seeing new things.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see your deleted post, lol. But I know the stages are designed to take a long time to get through. I think the best approach is to just try to get through one stage, each time you sit down with it

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I remember being pissed having to beak shells around and talk to other dolphins as a kid, I did eventually beat it at the same time as it was new on the sega genesis I had another hard game I was screwing with (Chakan the forever man) and compared between dolphin action and swiping creatures with swords well you get it.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

My deleted post was mostly, Ecco the dolphin is a game i remember fairly well from my childhood as some bull#, i wished some harm upon ecco from japanese whalers and cursed far too much for what is appropriate on ATS.

I did compliment the soundtrack of the game though.

Also i enjoy the art direction generally.

But man, that game is up there on the list of games that really #ed with me as a kid. It was one of the few sega games i owned.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I remember being pissed having to beak shells around and talk to other dolphins as a kid, I did eventually beat it at the same time as it was new on the sega genesis I had another hard game I was screwing with (Chakan the forever man) and compared between dolphin action and swiping creatures with swords well you get it.

Haha dude both of those games were created by the same guy, Ed Annunziata.

And yes, they have that similar gameplay pattern of requiring a ton of time, working through each stage.

Some people could not appreciate that, because they have the typical idea of Mario or Sonic etc. running through a new stage every five minutes...

But to fans, the Ecco games are wonderful to spend a while on each stage, exploring the nature, and enjoying the music.

Chakan is otherwise mostly a very different kind of game, except that similarity of how each stage is a huge time-sink, to get through.

So for both games, if you can adjust your expectations, then they can be enjoyable.

Did you manage to enjoy Chakan? Or get through it?
edit on 17-11-2020 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

My deleted post was mostly, Ecco the dolphin is a game i remember fairly well from my childhood as some bull#, i wished some harm upon ecco from japanese whalers and cursed far too much for what is appropriate on ATS.

I did compliment the soundtrack of the game though.

Also i enjoy the art direction generally.

But man, that game is up there on the list of games that really #ed with me as a kid. It was one of the few sega games i owned.

Haha well your deleted post sounds good, and thanks for posting AVGN, he did his classic routine with it, and it was a pretty great video. I saw it, when he released it. It's amazing that James Rolfe just keeps going forever, with new creative ideas, and it never ends. And he clearly enjoys himself and has fun, making all his videos.

Gotta love his Ecco video scene that he fills up a bathtub or something, with beer, and goes swimming in it, as his method of drinking it

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Well, I was being pretty harsh, it's not the worst game in the world, I do actually find it memorable and I do like the spacey synth music. It's supposed to be inspired by pink Floyd or something.

Yeah he's still going dunno how much passion is still there but I do still check out the new avgn videos.

ETA:

Some people could not appreciate that, because they have the typical idea of Mario or Sonic etc. running through a new stage every five minutes...

Nah dude, I grew up playing metroid, zelda, zelda 2, faxanadu, Super metroid, blaster master, action adventure, metroidvania games, those are my favourites.

Ecco though...that'a just...something else.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The movie was good but I believe this posting better depicts what it was to play that very frustrating game. My brother and I got sick together. He's 10 years younger than me that really doesn't matter though. We sat all cuddled up in our blankets and punched and random numbers and codes. We ended up getting half of them just by sitting there punching in random stuff and then we tried them and they're all infuriating. I didn't have hand-eye coordination so I would tell him where to go because he's the one that had the coordination. It it's such a good game but at the same time it sucks.

originally posted by: dug88

Lol...

Thank you for providing this amazing video of Ecco the dolphin. Ecco is such an endearing childhood memory for me.

I have no comments available for Ecco the dolphin that are suitable for ATS, as the mods have made clear.

I will let the Angry Video Game Nerd explain

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Absolutely loved Ecco on the Dreamcast. This is cool!

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Cool video but the game itself was even more annoying than James Pond.

And that's saying something......
edit on 18-11-2020 by Flavian because: S.P.A.G

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JamesChessman

originally posted by: Brotherman

Haha dude both of those games were created by the same guy, Ed Annunziata.

And yes, they have that similar gameplay pattern of requiring a ton of time, working through each stage.

But to fans, the Ecco games are wonderful to spend a while on each stage, exploring the nature, and enjoying the music.

Chakan is otherwise mostly a very different kind of game, except that similarity of how each stage is a huge time-sink, to get through.

So for both games, if you can adjust your expectations, then they can be enjoyable.

Did you manage to enjoy Chakan? Or get through it?

I beat chakan years later on an emulator I did play it as intended without save states. I remember as a kid when it was new on my first generation genesis I could never get past the stage where you find the axe in the lower sewer like level because the portal back to the nexus would always glitch out so I would skip that level and the one I couldn’t beat as a kid was the canyon level where you need the axe to one shot the flying vulture bat people on the canyons platforming section. I didn’t know both Ecco and Chakan were made by the same people that’s really coincidentally ironic me talking about the games and time period so many years later here.

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I do actually find it memorable and I do like the spacey synth music. It's supposed to be inspired by pink Floyd or something.

Yep, Ecco's theme song seems clearly based on Pink Floyd's "Shine on, You Crazy Diamond."

Seems pretty clear at 00:57, and then there's even Ecco's small riff at 1:54...

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
For comparison: Here's Ecco's main theme, around 00:55:

edit on 21-11-2020 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Actually, now that I'm looking at it, the Genesis theme song also seems based on the same inspiration, it's quite a good song but the rhythm part seems too loud.

But yeah, both CD and cartridge theme songs, seem inspired from "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join