It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump laying groundwork for full US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan before leaving office

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My generation had Vietnam. I tried to join in 1964, but had a medical condition. I had friends who died.

Another war based on a lie. Which has been my whole point. It is not relevant that soldiers volunteer or are conscripted. How we use them matters. Once the decision is made to go to war the responsibility we have to our fighting men and women should never be as cursory and flippant as 'you signed up to suffer, suck it up.'

I never minded being a weapon pointed at Americas enemies. However, self-defense is a far cry from robbery. I never wanted to rob anyone. I really believed that I could help end the war if we just trained another ANA battalion, or put another terrorist in the dirt.

I did that for 1/4 of my career. We were shutting down FOBs, we were shuffling troops to move them out of country. That was OEF 13-14. We're still there playing whack-a-mole with the Taliban and getting nothing done in 2020. Wasting life, money, and materiel.

The Afghanistan papers illustrated a military and political leadership that was intellectually lazy, corrupt, and negligent in their duties to the soldiers fighting and dying. Fighting and dying while our leadership floundered, dotting around pretending to understand what leadership means.

It was all a con Annee. Like Vietnam. I get to wear that stain now too.

Stupid me.

But I won't let my kids be as stupid as I was for believing our nation's leaders weren't as corrupt as they say. I freakin' know better now. Back when it was all conspiracies and internet rumors it was easy to ignore it.

Things are a lot different now. We actually know more. "They volunteered" just isn't a good excuse to keep this going. The onus isn't on the soldier, but the commander in chief and ultimately, the American people.
edit on 11 18 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: Assassin82

a reply to: Southern Guardian

I have to admit I am fairly anti-war and from that standpoint, this looks positive.

However, I'm also fairly anti-terrorist and the removal of stabilizing forces needs to be managed so that a new equilibrium is maintained.

My concern is that without the limitations on terrorist activity, they could rise against, and overthrow their elected governments. This would not be in the best interest of any country, even the US, since these rogue groups now have the wherewithal to attack any other country, if they have sufficient resources.

Terrorist activity only becomes terrorist activity when a 1st world government decides to use the impoverished for nefarious means. The good thing about Afghanistan is it holds a massive amount of incredibly valuable resources that the high-tech world needs. The economic value in keeping Afghanistan out of the war on terror and into a self-sustaining economic hub that can mine, trade and sell these resources is cheaper than maintaining the status quo as a constant war zone.

Al-Qaeda was based in Afghanistan.

ISIS is in Afghanistan, But Who Are They Really? - PBS

The threat, and the possibility of attack, has not gone away. There are ways to ensure that US troops can be withdrawn and that the region will work commercially with the US, but a straight withdrawal of the troops leaves everything unresolved.

Troglodytes in Afghanistan can’t attack America.

If a war is unresolved after 19 years, chances are it cannot be won.

The Taliban has only grown in strength under the US occupation. It is totally untenable.

So, what country did most of the 911 terrorists come from and get their training in?

Saudi Arabia, with help from Langley no doubt. Yet there is no war with the House of Saud.

Any idiot with a chip on their shoulder can get on a 'plane, go to the USA, and make or buy weapons (probably not legally).

Pretty sure that's what the FBI is for.

And they aren't all troglodytes. Remove the military push-back and they'll have office towers and shopping malls.

They didn't last time.

Here's a strange idea. Maybe if they stop bombing their villages and mosques, people will want to bomb America less?
edit on 18112020 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Hippy

I like this. I agree

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

a reply to: Southern Guardian

I have to admit I am fairly anti-war and from that standpoint, this looks positive.

However, I'm also fairly anti-terrorist and the removal of stabilizing forces needs to be managed so that a new equilibrium is maintained.

My concern is that without the limitations on terrorist activity, they could rise against, and overthrow their elected governments. This would not be in the best interest of any country, even the US, since these rogue groups now have the wherewithal to attack any other country, if they have sufficient resources.

Terrorist activity only becomes terrorist activity when a 1st world government decides to use the impoverished for nefarious means. The good thing about Afghanistan is it holds a massive amount of incredibly valuable resources that the high-tech world needs. The economic value in keeping Afghanistan out of the war on terror and into a self-sustaining economic hub that can mine, trade and sell these resources is cheaper than maintaining the status quo as a constant war zone.

Al-Qaeda was based in Afghanistan.

ISIS is in Afghanistan, But Who Are They Really? - PBS

The threat, and the possibility of attack, has not gone away. There are ways to ensure that US troops can be withdrawn and that the region will work commercially with the US, but a straight withdrawal of the troops leaves everything unresolved.
Troglodytes in Afghanistan can’t attack America.

If a war is unresolved after 19 years, chances are it cannot be won.

The Taliban has only grown in strength under the US occupation. It is totally untenable.

So, what country did most of the 911 terrorists come from and get their training in?

Saudi Arabia, with help from Langley no doubt. Yet there is no war with the House of Saud.

Any idiot with a chip on their shoulder can get on a 'plane, go to the USA, and make or buy weapons (probably not legally).
Pretty sure that's what the FBI is for.

It should have been the job of the FBI but the DHS was implemented specifically to target in-country terrorist activities.

And they aren't all troglodytes. Remove the military push-back and they'll have office towers and shopping malls.
They didn't last time.

Their office building in Brooklyn, last time:

Here's a strange idea. Maybe if they stop bombing their villages and mosques, people will want to bomb America less?

They won't need to bomb their villages if they are un-opposed. Afghanistan has a history of tribal warlords ruling villages by terror. They now have money, and tech, and drugs, and a jihad, and an example to follow.

How might these criminals be stopped from bombing villages, and looking to expand their 'empires', and similar terror tactics?

Clearly, the task is beyond the indigenous police forces, it was beyond the military power of Russia, and nearly beyond the military power of the USA, too.

Which is why there needs to be a strategy to the withdrawal. You don't just pull out a Jenga piece and hope 'the stack' doesn't collapse. You take a little care. There are no 'respawns' in real life.

edit on 18/11/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Frankly it seems like that isn’t America’s problem.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Frankly it seems like that isn’t America’s problem.

Why?

They created most of it.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
As is/his, "legal" right!.. As the, ..."Commander in Chief"!..With the "legal",..."authority",.."to do so"!..
At least, (For the time being). ..
This is an excellent move by, the "LEADER", and our President. Pres. Trump is an awesome Force of "America"! ...

Any American Soldier, that was trained, and took their oath seriously?..Knows that Pres. Trump is doing the right thing! We beat the "Ragheads", every day, all day, .... and all 7 days of a week, and can do it all month long!.. And we can do it FOREVER!.. If "ordered" to. .... If that's the kind of "war" the "American people" want?

posted on Nov, 19 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You have to start somewhere. That argument has been used for over a decade... it’s been a mess the whole time, let’s get out.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   

The origins were as a mujahideen reaction against the Soviets in Afghanistan. The CIA was funding the mujahideen through Operation Cyclone which funneled up to $600 million from the Saudi's. [/url]

Let's not forget Israel.

Israel armed and trained thousands of Mujahideen soldiers.

In the 1960s, Afghan women wore western clothes and dressed in short skirts and high heels. Living in a very progressive Muslim society. The training and arming of thousands of Mujahideen solders who believed in pillage and rape was the match that lit the fuse, that sent Afghanistan back 1,400 years.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join