It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan folks, please offer input

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I grew up in Ohio, Cleveland area. My Dad is from Sandusky Michigan. We used to vacation in the Travers Bay, Petoskey area many years ago. On one of our early trips, when my family was pinching pennies, but still wanted to go on vacation, we went up north in Michigan and the car broke down next to a small resort called "Cherry Cove Beach". There were 8 or so small cabins, a nice beach, some paddle boards and there was a really nice family running the place. A guy named Fran and his wife June. I'm sure they both passed on, they were old when I was young and now I am old.

I was wondering, does anyone know if that place still exists? It's a long shot that anyone would even know of it's existence here, but worth a shot. I remember going to the Cherry festival, eating cherry pie, going to Leland for smoked fish. Looking for Petoskey rocks on a rocky shoreline, swimming in crystal clear waters with a slight chill. I remember walking over the Sleeping Bear Sand dunes.

I went back once in my late teens with a couple friends. We stayed and camped at the Dunes. Got a bit fired up on herbal tea and decided to walk to the lake over the dunes, and didn't bring any water or drinks. That was the driest my mouth has ever been. We went swimming and there was an injured lake trout swimming with us, I suppose it was dying. My one friend caught it and we had a plan to bring it back and cook it. (probably a bad idea, not knowing why it was dying) But we lost interest in dragging it after a few miles. So we made it back to camp, tired, thirsty, smelled of fish, and badly needed showers. We passed out that night and I dreamt of the camp being overrun by skunks. next morning, our camp was wrecked, and the ranger came by to tell us that we left food out and the skunks came. So it wasn't a dream. Glad I stayed in the car. the other two were in the tent. But nobody got skunked, although we did have that smell about us for other reasons.

But there is something magical about Northern Michigan and I'd like to take my family there so they could see some of the things I remember so fondly. I hope someone bought that small resort and kept it going.
edit on 16-11-2020 by network dude because: sometimes, you have to wait.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

edit on 16-11-2020 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yes

Here

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Aint no self repecting Buckeye gonna step foot in that god-awful state!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

That’s funny because I have had to hold my nose every time I drove through Ohio.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

number has been disconnected. that's sad.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Once you make it past Detroit, it was smooth sailing. Only 3 gun shot holes in the door.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Yeah, I couldn't help you with your place, but I know that my family will all go up to stay on a lake in Minnesota. We look for the type of place you describe - small family place with a handful of rustic cabins, some small docks and simply boats. We swim; we fish; we play games in the cabins at night.

It's getting harder and harder to find those places. They're being gradually put out of business by the big, sleek resort type hotels.

And when you do find them, it's hard to get a spot on their list around their yearly regulars.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: HalWesten

number has been disconnected. that's sad.

According to the map it doesn't look like small cabins but it's hard to say. I can't post pics here but this should get you there so you can zoom in.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

You lost me at "self respecting buckeye."

On topic.

Lots of lakefront and cabins change hands frequently.

Best bet may be by using interactive maps in attempts to jog your memory.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I get that, cant stand the sweet smell of victory.

a reply to: RazorV66

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Is this it?
Do these owner names sound familiar?
BBB: Cherry Cove Beach Resort

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

that's it, but the phone number is disconnected.
I called the winery just down the road, and they didn't know if there were still cabins to rent or even cabins at all.
It's a really long shot that they would still be there.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wife and I stayed in a cabin just North of Suttons Bay, but I can't recall the name.
We have always enjoyed our vacations to Northern Michigan from our home in Alto area. The big lake is really high now, and the smoked fish stores you purchased from in Leland are nearly under water...but still there and busy. We went up there during the 1st "lock-down" when they opened the North country so Whitmer could go to the bar by her cabin up there...it was swamped with tourists. We liked Petoskey and Harbor Springs too.
Dune climb is still there too, and you are right, it is a hike. With every dune you crest, you swear the lake has to be right there...but no, just one more dune...then another...

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ah my friend...fall colors from Traverse Bay to Petosky...just saw. Cottage in Mio, national forest.

Both T.C. and Petosky are now rich playgrounds..little places gave way to shoreline development into subs and single homes, gated communities like sheik Benton Harbor and up...

Great drive...will look for your place...🙏
Never mind, found.

edit on 16-11-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
Wife and I stayed in a cabin just North of Suttons Bay, but I can't recall the name.
We have always enjoyed our vacations to Northern Michigan from our home in Alto area. The big lake is really high now, and the smoked fish stores you purchased from in Leland are nearly under water...but still there and busy. We went up there during the 1st "lock-down" when they opened the North country so Whitmer could go to the bar by her cabin up there...it was swamped with tourists. We liked Petoskey and Harbor Springs too.
Dune climb is still there too, and you are right, it is a hike. With every dune you crest, you swear the lake has to be right there...but no, just one more dune...then another...

I was afraid the fluffers would find that. It was a great secret for a long time.
And yes, you know the dunes well it seems.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

thanks. I will try to find some old vacation pics to upload. Great memories.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This place? www.leelanauchamber.com...

I would consider that central Michigan, it is near traverse city but out on a point I suppose it could be considered Northern Michigan. I know, we are in Yooperville, not Northern Michigan.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I do. Wife n I wander...nightly/weekly.....n dog.

Last weekend Wayne to Livingston, Monroe, Genessee, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw, St. Claire counties. All Fri, Sat, Sun. (State Rec areas)*

*Yes. We traveled since start pandemic. Every-where. 1,000% masks, distancing, dont get outta car where's large ...even small...groups.

So far, so good. Off to South Haven...Port Sanilac, New Baltimore/Anchor Bay...in no order.

Leaves: awesome

edit on 16-11-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
thanks. I will try to find some old vacation pics to upload. Great memories.

If you have a mullet please edit them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join