It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego - the illusion having control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
For a long time I had a hard time understanding that what ego is but now I think I defined it.

Ego is the illusion having control.

Nothing is within our control.

God reigns.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Man, just do a # tonne of mushrooms. Like to the point where your ego strips away and your personality and being strip away like layers of an onion and you realize you and your ego are nothing really and your existence or non-existence is meaningless so make the most out of life and don't let your ego get in the way of all the good things you can do in life.

Honestly, the most amazing life, changing feeling you can have in your life is overcoming the most sincere belief that you're about to die...then it doesn't happen.

Eat enough mushrooms and you'll get that feeling and you'll realize your ego is nothing.
edit on 16/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The fact that you make such a claim that a 'God' is in control is proof of your ego talking.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3 King James Bible

Sounds like an ego problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Must be your ego talking.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie2018

It is an ego problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I completely share the approach in OP.

We - the true "I", is a being who " jumped in a quantum soup", where everything becomes as it wills and experiences - without much of a clue how to get out of that soup. Everything around us, past, present, and future - are from that process. Withdrawal is the single most hardest challenge to face in this journey.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   
You have control over a lot of aspects of your life.
A religious cop-out believing 'god is in control' then also lends credence to the 'the devil made me do it' argument.

There are things which you do not have control over, yes. Things that could completely alter the course of your life.
But believing you have zero control is irresponsible and reprehensible. Self-control is a major factor in the hubris of the ego, taking responsibility for your actions, holding yourself accountable and feeling guilt/remorse over actions which hurt others is what separates well functioning, happy and content humans from psychopaths.

You can have a positive impact on the world, or sit back and 'let God take care of it'. Lets see which one makes an actual difference.

Free will is a defining aspect which the religious believe was gifted to us by God.
Believing that you don't have control is thus a direct insult to your omnipotent sky fairy.
edit on 16-11-2020 by GreenGunther because: missing letter of sorts

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

We have control over nothing and if we do it's an illusion.

Reality is nothing but God.
edit on 16-11-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   

As usual your replies are minimal. Keep trolling away.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   

You're full of bad advice.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Those with little or no self control will often try to control the world around them.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
And yet you admitted to suffering psychosis in another thread
Lol

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Yes, I did and you didn't.

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I think you will find this interview very enlightening...it speaks about the human condition and is incredibly interesting.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Love the screen name out of balance .
Me to heck all humans .

Philosophy is subject best left to thinkers .
other people just do .
Me i was a thinker and doer all My life it took till i was 55 Now to focus more on just doing .

Thinking analyzing well that brought NUKS into the world

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

edit on 18-11-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The ego is an attempt at control..

So the perfect ego controls with certainty..

And the lesser ego gets lost in delusion.

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boundless1
The ego is an attempt at control..

So the perfect ego controls with certainty..

And the lesser ego gets lost in delusion.

Who is it that knows there is no ego? And you must realize, you see, that this is a problem created linguistically. I explained that language based on the sentence composed of subject, verb and predicate, contains the hidden belief system that events are started by nouns, by things. And so it’s very important to understand that, in the real universe, there are no things at all. And this startles people, because we think of the universe as the sum-total of things. But when you go into the question, “What do you mean by a thing?”—you ask children this question, “What do you mean by a thing?” And they’ll say, “Well, an object.” Well, I’ll say, “You’ve just substituted another word. That doesn’t tell me anything.” Or they could come back, if they’re very smart, and say, “What do you mean by anything?”

Who Is It That Knows There Is No Ego? - Alan Watts (Complete Lecture and Transcript)
www.organism.earth...
edit on 20-11-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Or the belief you'll have to live the rest of your life without your former mental structure, whereas being entirely shrouded by uncertainty and fatally, nothing.

Then you come back, and you swear that you'll enjoy the rest of your time in the illusion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join