It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden/Harris' Minimum Wage to $15 USD Will Cause Loss Of Millions of Jobs.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I get it. So, what is a fair wage for the lowest of low essential worker?

Should a cook at burger king have a living wage where it will pay for one person to live on their own?

Full time? Yeah, I think so.
edit on 14-11-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

It's a tough one, I think some wages are too low...

To low for what? You really need to explain why they are too low... What is that based on? I'm not trying to be a troll etc...But people just do not actually explain why they are too low.

Wage increases should be tied to cost of living. Thats my best honest answer.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So the dumb little punk/ex-con with a terrible attitude or poor communication skills struggling to bag your groceries at Kroger makes minimum wage.

The nice person who does a good job and is motivated with a smile bagging your groceries at Whole Foods makes 15/hr.

What happens when you level that playing field?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Doubling it is a bit much though, don't get me wrong, it's a great thought, but doubling it is just not going to work.

How much are you willing to pay someone to mow your lawn before you just say F it I'll do it myself? How much is someone worth in pay? Wages are about 30% of cost and when those wages exceed 36% companies will down size employees to get the cost back to about 30%. It is actually simple math to still make profit....

Also are you willing to buy a coffee for 10 bucks, what is your limit to just say F it I'll make my own...lol

If I pay someone to do that kinda stuff..20$ an hour

If you're lucky! I pay a little bit more.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Do you think that's a fair wage in this economy? Assuming that you don't, which may be an erroneous assumption, what would be a fair federal minimum wage?

The UK system might be best. They have a minimum wage and a living wage...depending on your age. I own a small business. If the minimum wage increases 50% and my labor cost is 50% of my overhead...it’s simple, my tuition cost for clients will increase 25%.

Business owners never “pay” for minimum wage increases (or any cost increases), the customer does...the problem occurs when the number of customers decrease due to price hikes...which, in turn, reduces the number of employees required, resulting in layoffs. Business does not occur in a vacuum. Anything that increases my cost of doing business must be absorbed by my customers. It’s SOP. (In business since 1975.) My layoffs, should the minimum wage increase by 50%, will be last hired, first...dismissed. They will be able to file for unemployment insurance, thankfully.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Are you @#f#ing kidding.me? Nobody will mow your lawn for $7.50 an hour! NOBODY!

I said how much is it worth to pay someone to do?

Fed minimum wage is an index...it is not reality... Every state regulates their own minimum wage, my state will have it at 15 in 2021. Being an index in a low cost state that is actually at 7.25 not too many people are willing to work for that unless you are a 16 year-old flipping burgers in your first job. So lets say that state is forced to go to 15... Does that mean EVERYONE gets a 7+ dollar raise? It kind of does....

Is that good? Would you pay 20 bucks to get your lawn mowed...how about doubling it to 40, for 40 I will just mow my own...

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Doubling it is a bit much though, don't get me wrong, it's a great thought, but doubling it is just not going to work.

How much are you willing to pay someone to mow your lawn before you just say F it I'll do it myself? How much is someone worth in pay? Wages are about 30% of cost and when those wages exceed 36% companies will down size employees to get the cost back to about 30%. It is actually simple math to still make profit....

Also are you willing to buy a coffee for 10 bucks, what is your limit to just say F it I'll make my own...lol

If you're lucky! I pay a little bit more.

I usually do it myself, gives me some exercise
But ya, 20 is ok, maybe a tip for a good job. Casual workers in the industry I work in get 20+, when times were better, you could get 30$..if you were good.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I bought my place a little while ago, and the previous homeowner's land guy wanted $65 an hour. I told him to hit road! I got a guy for $25, but he definitely needs perks to enhance that bottom line, like first bid on all other jobs I have, like gutters and roofs. He always gets them! Best price ever!
edit on 14-11-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It actually is as each state regulates their own minimum wage. Mine will be 15 in 2021...not a cheap state.

The BIG question is should minimum wage also be a living wage, and if so what does living mean in this case.

I say this because many believe a living wage is one where one person can have their own place, 1 car, recent iPhone and all the bells and whistles, 10 plus chi teas a week and so on... What is a living wage and should our lowest jobs be a living wage based on that.

It is a fundamental question to ask...

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Full time? Yeah, I think so.

Why? The whole world doesn't work that way...privacy is not a right it is a privilege. Back in the 80s I had a roommate because I could not afford it all on my own, is that wrong today?

I also ask what is a job worth...would you pay someone 15 bucks an hour selling lemonade that only brings in 10 bucks an how in sales. I use simple things like mowing a lawn to sell lemonade to make a point.

What is a job worth? Jobs that take a day to learn with no skills needed should not be living wage jobs.

edit on 14-11-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   
No worries Biden will do the same thing he did when he was in office with Obama and that is nothing for the American people but rob loot and steal from the coffers for his own families and associates enrichment. You will never see fruition of any promises listed.

Unless Kamala takes the presidency and then we are all screwed in more ways than just politically and financially.

Biden will find a middle eastern or African nation to rape for his defense contractor donors.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I say this because many believe a living wage is one where one person can have their own place, 1 car, recent iPhone and all the bells and whistles, 10 plus chi teas a week and so on... What is a living wage and should our lowest jobs be a living wage based on that.

Corporations like Walmart will disagree with you, and suppose that the government will supplement those wages with government health care and food stamps. Funny we used to call them "food stamps", as if they were issued by the Post Office!

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I always say $100/hr. Please explain why everyone making $208,000/yr before taxes for the most menial job like bussing tables or tearing tickets in a movie theater won’t fix all problems overnight?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If I have to pay more for services, I want three hundred bucks a month more added to my social security minimum.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Damn right I could quit my job and be a walmart greeter for 100 an hour.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   

So I have a company with 6 workers that mow the lawns I make deals with homeowners, how much should I charge the homeowners per lawn if they all take 1 hour. I pay for everything gas, equipment, 20 to 30% above my employee's pay for SS etc.

So my guy can do 6 per day and I pay him for 8 hours with travel setup etc. Lets say I pay him 20 per hour, AND I pay for everything else.. So I go to you and say hey I'll mow your lawn for 40 per hour is that OK?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It actually is as each state regulates their own minimum wage. Mine will be 15 in 2021...not a cheap state.

The BIG question is should minimum wage also be a living wage, and if so what does living mean in this case.

It is a fundamental question to ask...

I only speak for here, it did not raise for many years, well below cost of living..that has changed.

A living wage, another good question, a very regional one here. Where I am, lower mainland Vancouver area, very expensive, and easy enough to say move to were it's cheaper, but someone still has to do these jobs. Around here 15 might just get a person by..rent alone would eat up over 50%. Move a bit out, where real estate/rents are reasonable, and 15 gets a bit better.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I bought my place a little while ago, and the previous homeowner's land guy wanted $65 an hour. I told him to hit road! I got a guy for $25, but he definitely needs perks to enhance that bottom line, like first bid on all other jobs I have, like gutters and roofs. He always gets them! Best price ever!

As a business it cost a lot more. Typically a business pays 20 to 30% more than the wage. Then you have overhead costs...at some point it is not worth it to you and you do your own.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I dont have all the answers my friend, you just asked what I would pay. I think my 1st post, I said going from 7.25-15 was not going to work. The magic # or formula..I don't know.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Corporations like Walmart will disagree with you, and suppose that the government will supplement those wages with government health care and food stamps. Funny we used to call them "food stamps", as if they were issued by the Post Office!

I'm asking YOU what should a living wage pay for... its that simple... What do you think a living wage should pay for...
You do not like Walmart ...Then don't work there. I haven't been in a Walmart in 15 years. I have a friend whose wife works there like 20 years and thinks it is the best company ever.

edit on 15-11-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join