It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden/Harris' Minimum Wage to $15 USD Will Cause Loss Of Millions of Jobs.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This alone is one of the promises of Biden and Harris which will only be detrimental to the U.S. economy and the job market.
History has shown us that when companies can't pay such wages what happens is that "either people in other countries, like China, are hired by these companies, or they go full automated."

This is what will happen in the U.S. If Biden/Harris make true on that promise alone. Millions of entry jobs will be lost and in the end regular Americans will pay a high price for this.

The left is too naive and unwilling to admit their flaws even when those same decisions in the past caused nothing but loss of jobs, suffering and more impoverishment.

The following article is from 3 years ago, 2017.

New Study Suggests Minimum Wage Leads To Automation Of Low-Skill Workers

Gregory FerensteinFormer Contributor

A new study finds that the fight for a $15 minimum wage could hurt the very workers it is intended to help. Economists Grace Lordan and David Neumark find that "increasing the minimum wage decreases significantly the share of automatable employment held by low-skilled workers, and increases the likelihood that low-skilled workers in automatable jobs become unemployed."

Their findings seem to confirm speculation that the fast food industry, a key industry targeted by minimum wage activists, is responding to wage hikes around the country by replacing cashiers with self-service kiosks and other kinds of robots. Wendy's, for instance, plans on placing these touch screen ordering devices in a 1,000 of its restaurants.

New Study Suggests Minimum Wage Leads To Automation Of Low-Skill Workers

Here is a direct link to that research.
People Versus Machines: The Impact of Minimum Wages on Automatable Jobs

edit on 14-11-2020 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What jobs...haven't you heard the lockdowns are coming again lol...

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
It's crazy how the MSM is almost totally ignoring Biden's proposals for America.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
What jobs...haven't you heard the lockdowns are coming again lol...

Well, the microchip planters should be paid a livable wage.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Do you think that's a fair wage in this economy? Assuming that you don't, which may be an erroneous assumption, what would be a fair federal minimum wage?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Raise it to $30...
More is always better

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Do you think that's a fair wage in this economy? Assuming that you don't, which may be an erroneous assumption, what would be a fair federal minimum wage?

Doubling it is a bit much though, don't get me wrong, it's a great thought, but doubling it is just not going to work.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

People don't seem to understand that no matter what minimum wage is, it's still minimum wage.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't think people understand that minimum wage is just an index and less than 2% of workers actually make that, and they are mostly in the businesses that have tips to offset.

We also need to understand that the cost of living in Seattle is a hell of a lot more than say Alabama, so let the states regulate it as they are already doing.

Raising the minimum wage to 15 across all America will force companies to down size.. Less jobs to go around, more subsistence living on the Goverment. Have fun with that...

I don't go to fast foods a lot but I took my family to Sonic last year and with two teenage boys my wife and me the bill was about 70 bucks...lol That is in a state with a 15 minimum wage, so Alabama enjoy that in the near future.

edit on 14-11-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Doubling it is a bit much though, don't get me wrong, it's a great thought, but doubling it is just not going to work.

I get it. So, what is a fair wage for the lowest of low essential worker?

I mean. you know, Art Of The Deal, and all.
edit on 14-11-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
How would you feel if you did a risky job like construction and you were only getting two dollars more per hour than someone sitting on their ars calling people trying to get them to buy things over the phone. People who do more dangerous jobs should get paid more, but employers are not going to be able to raise wages of everyone, that will just make inflation anyway. I can see restaurant prices going up really high and nobody will be able to afford to go there unless they are the elite.

Sounds like a good promise for politicians to make, but who in their right mind would want to work on a roof for the same pay as someone flipping burgers at McDs or making subs at subway. I worked construction for most of my working career, I hurt myself many times, my back has been shot for thirty years from damaging it working over and over in different places.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: vonclod

People don't seem to understand that no matter what minimum wage is, it's still minimum wage.

It's a tough one, I think some wages are too low, but doubling them throws it all into chaos. Then the guy who makes 15 for some skilled labour, wants 30, and so on. I'm not against a better wage, they raised it here a few times in the last 3-4 years, was stagnant for 10 years. The sky did not fall..doubling it would never have worked.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

How much are you willing to pay someone to mow your lawn before you just say F it I'll do it myself? How much is someone worth in pay? Wages are about 30% of cost and when those wages exceed 36% companies will down size employees to get the cost back to about 30%. It is actually simple math to still make profit....

Also are you willing to buy a coffee for 10 bucks, what is your limit to just say F it I'll make my own...lol

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It's a tough one, I think some wages are too low...

To low for what? You really need to explain why they are too low... What is that based on? I'm not trying to be a troll etc...But people just do not actually explain why they are too low.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Should a cook at burger king have a living wage where it will pay for one person to live on their own?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

How much are you willing to pay someone to mow your lawn before you just say F it I'll do it myself?

Are you @#f#ing kidding.me? Nobody will mow your lawn for $7.50 an hour! NOBODY!

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour was on my state ballot. It passed, so it seems the majority of voters in my state believe that is right and fair.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Every small business employing less than five workers at under 15 will have to either cut back their business, close up shop, or double their revenue to keep those employees.

That figure would cause almost every shop within a half hours drive from me go under. The owners are too old and close to passing on their businesses to compete like that for the revenue, and have worked decades to grow to where they are- but most have loans, and cutting back staff now means not making the payments.
Losing the farm, essentially.

This policy cannot work in rural America, and will never be accepted.

The DNC handlers are just pandering to their demographic- the young college graduate who lives in the city selling coffee not thinking about how the very ideas they promote put them in the positions they're in.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I mean. you know, Art Of The Deal, and all.

I'm no Art Of The Deal guy..lol

Here, it was fairly stagnant for around 10 years..way below cost of living increase. it went from 8.75 in 2011, to 14.60 as of June 2020..basically took 10 years to double.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

How much are you willing to pay someone to mow your lawn before you just say F it I'll do it myself? How much is someone worth in pay? Wages are about 30% of cost and when those wages exceed 36% companies will down size employees to get the cost back to about 30%. It is actually simple math to still make profit....

Also are you willing to buy a coffee for 10 bucks, what is your limit to just say F it I'll make my own...lol

If I pay someone to do that kinda stuff..20$ an hour

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join