It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices starting to JUMP!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Super unleaded hits 3.38 a gallon in California

Full serve super unleaded 3.38 a gallon in California

www.kesq.com...

Seems that 3 dollars a gallon is here, and coming soon to a town near you. , that would mean it would cost 100 dollars to fill an SUV. that is nuts....

quote:
For Malibu residents who don't want to step out of their luxury cars or S-U-Vs, full serve pumps are selling fuel at three dollars, 33 cents for regular and three dollars, 38 cents for supreme.

This would actually make driving more expensive than flying in some cases. We have gone straight to plaid........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-3-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is a local gas station here in town. We're talking 87 octane gas, not the premium unleaded stuff.

Monday: $2.07
Tuesday: $2.11
Wednesday: $2.14
Thursday: $2.19
Friday: $2.22

Don't tell me that they get a tanker truck every single day to delivery gas. I've seen a tanker empty his trailers once a week, and that is usually on a Thursday. You'd think that the prices would increase after a new delivery had been made.

I'd call this price-gouging.

NVBadBoy

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Eh.

Panic when it's worse than '81.

Gas was the equivalent of $3/gallon then.

www.thatliberalmedia.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Or we could be in Europe, where they're already paying the equivalent of $4-5US per gallon.

I don't like paying $2 a gallon, so I console myself with the fact that I don't have to run my car on milk.
And I limit my driving, which is all-around a good idea, no matter the cost of gas.

Its getting really bad here in the UK. At the moment I am paying 84pence a litre. 4.54 litres to the imperial gallon makes it £3.81 a gallon. At current exchange rates thats about $7.50ish. Reports on the news are saying in the very near future we will be paying £1.00 a litre or £4.54 a gallon, nearly £9.00!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
It should be on a steady increase from here on out. Its the end of the world people cant you see it? It all started when music started to suck!

Yeah, I think it was 1979 when music started going downhill. Anyhow it cost almost $60 to fill up my F-250 today and Ive even started driving less than 70mph on the freeways to conserve fuel.

Maximu§

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I havent read through this post so if its been posted before on this thread forgive. This web site provided information that gas prices were about to jump $0.25 about aday or two before they started jumping, I headed the warning and filled up my tank while they were still under $2.00(central Florida). This just proof that this site is on the know about this kind of news. BTW the gas is running about $2.10 for unleaded here.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
EPA and state regulations have basically outlawed building new refineries. The problem is not crude supply---it is refining capacity.

The American petroleum market is probably one of the best examples of a free market in oil you can find. There is less govt intervention, and more transparency than in any other nation's.

But people want an easy answer; they don't want to try and reconcile their need for gas with their dislike of smelly refineries.

Basically, the stance of congress since the Reagan era has been to mirror the sentiments of the Nader Party: Set an absolute cap on production and let people learn to conserve (especially the poor.)

But is certainly a lot more fun to blame Bush, if you are so minded.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
We should get used to higher energy prices. The reason why gas prices are so high is because of "supply worries." These prices may rise and fall within a range, but in general, they will trend higher due to issues with permanent supply.

www.bloomberg.com...
money.cnn.com...

The acquisition of oil and gas resources is becoming increasingly more expensive--there are very few "cheap" resources left in the world. The vast fields in Saudi Arabia, the area with the largest remaining proven reserves, have reached a point where the wells are mature and the oil is becoming more difficult and costly to get out of the ground.

The U.S. needs to supplement with natural gas, however natural gas must either be transported via pipeline from sources in North America or liquified and transported overseas. The Canadian reserves were not as large as projected and currently there are only four liquified natural gas (LNG) terminals in the U.S. Even with approvals, it takes several years and several billion dollars to build new LNG terminals.

There currently is resistence due to environmental concerns, but as the opening of the Alaskan reserves has evidenced, the argument for maintaining the environment ahead of our burgeoning energy demands can be overruled. The 30+ LNG refineries that are proposed or in the planning stages will be built--and the environmentalists argument will weaken further when electricity prices begin to creep up (or black-outs become more prevalent.) However, what is more troubling is that these LNG projects won't even start impacting our economy for at least 5 to 7 years. And this will not stem the rising costs of energy--even when the LNG finally does get here.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal today about how all of the major oil companies have billions and billions in cash on their books but are having difficulty finding new projects/acquisitions to invest in--there are no promising new wells to dig or areas to explore. This points to a major supply problem.

Every single energy company wouldn't be sitting in cash--and sitting in cash to the tune of up to $20 billion in the cases of RoyalDutch Shell & ExxonMobil, if there were oil reserves or gas projects that were viable.

This problem goes way beyond conservation--that should have been the plan in the 70's and 80's. We will have to accept that our way of life is going to change drastically--and relatively quickly because oil and gas doen't just fuel our cars--it is used to make everything from out clothes to our medications.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Originally posted by steggyD
The largest increase I have ever seen in gas was 1999, and a gas president wasn't in office. That was when gas was still hanging around $1 a gallon.

That $ 0.59 increase was over a period of months. The $0.14 increase in my area happened over nite. That is what the big deal is about. Gas in my area has risen over $0.70 in the past 4 months. A much larger increase than in 1999.

[edit on 3/18/05 by Kidfinger]

But I recall it going up about $.29 in one day in southern Lexington, KY, back in 1999. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
"Holy Jumping Gas Prices, Batman!"

"Looks like it is time to jump on the Bat bicycle, Robin!"

"With the Bat bell ringer, Handlebar bat tassles and official Bat Basket, Batman?"

*sigh* "Yes, Robin, that's the one."

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
why 'especially the poor"? poor people have to conserve, recycle, reuse and do without. most 'poor' people i know are better at making do and doing without than any other segment of society. my disposable income since bush has come into office has decreased to the point of being flat broke after the necessities have been paid. the rising prices of EVERYTHING since bush came along is sending even more people to the poor house, but i bet bushies buddies are doing fine

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join