It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The EU's "Anti-Disinformation Newsletter" Caught Spreading Disinformation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
One of the EU's breathless "Anti- Russian Disinfo" projects appears to be spreading disinformation itself ...

A European Union “anti-disinformation” newsletter falsely claimed the post-election report produced by the OSCE into the U.S. general election said that residents of the District of Columbia are ineligible to vote for President of the United States.

www.journafact.com...-247

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

edit on 12-11-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WildBillX

RATING: We rate the claim by EUvsDisinfo, that the OSCE post-election report said that D.C. residents are ineligible to vote in U.S. presidential elections as FALSE. The OSCE report made no such assertion.

We also rate the underlying claim behind the fictitious citation, that D.C. residents are ineligible to vote in U.S. presidential elections, as also FALSE.
that's not what the fact checkers say.

ETA:
Providing a link to the source info I posted, even though it's in the OP as the only link available. If you don't do this, you get in trouble.

www.journafact.com...
edit on 12-11-2020 by network dude because: where the hell is my beer?

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Huh?

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Did you read your link? whole thing.

or am I missing something?

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It seems that way.
edit on 12-11-2020 by WildBillX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: WildBillX

It seems that way.

If you read the link in your op, it seems it's the fact check article about the claim you made. At the end of the article, they list what I posted. Again, if that's not what I'm seeing, my bad. But I need to know, so I don't make that mistake again.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The problem is I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. For instance, this --

If you read the link in your op, it seems it's the fact check article about the claim you made.

-- is essentially incoherent. This isn't a criticism, just a suggestion that you may have been multitasking when you wrote it. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The problem is I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. For instance, this --

If you read the link in your op, it seems it's the fact check article about the claim you made.

-- is essentially incoherent. This isn't a criticism, just a suggestion that you may have been multitasking when you wrote it. Sorry.

OK. If you read through the link you offered in the OP it reads:

The Claim: EUvsDisinfo is part of the European Union’s official, state media. It is an email newsletter produced by the East Stratcom Task Force intended to counter Russian-originating “disinformation.” In its November 12, 2020 issue it reported the following, in regard to the OSCE’s preliminary post-election report:

The report does note various issues with the electoral process, such as the “animosity and heated rhetoric” between the two main candidates, possible disenfranchisement of voters without a photo ID, and the inability of those in the District of Columbia or US territories to vote for president.

Nowhere in the OSCE’s 24-page report does it make the claim that residents in the District of Columbia were unable to “vote for president.” In fact, it says the opposite. Page eight of the report notes that “more than half a million citizens residing in the District of Columbia have the right to vote in presidential elections.”

Having established that EUvsDisinfo falsely cited the OSCE preliminary post-election report to support its claim, we next turn our attention to whether the claim itself is true. Can residents of the District of Columbia “vote for president?”

Yes. Since 1961, eligible voters in the District of Columbia have been able to vote for candidate-pledged electors in U.S. presidential elections. The Leonore Annenberg Institute for Civics, a nonprofit, nonpartisan program of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, clarifies this point.

Passed by Congress on June 17, 1960, and ratified by the states on March 29, 1961, Amendment XXIII treats the District of Columbia as if it were a state for purposes of the Electoral College, thereby giving residents of the District the right to have their votes counted in presidential elections.

Candidates for President of the United States are listed on the official website of the District of Columbia Board of Elections as ballot-qualified in the 2020 election. And, the website of the Archivist of the United States hosts a digital scan of the Certificate of Ascertainment from the 2016 U.S. presidential elections showing that year’s Democratic Party presidential candidate Hillary Clinton as having received 282,830 votes from D.C. residents.

RATING: We rate the claim by EUvsDisinfo, that the OSCE post-election report said that D.C. residents are ineligible to vote in U.S. presidential elections as FALSE. The OSCE report made no such assertion.

We also rate the underlying claim behind the fictitious citation, that D.C. residents are ineligible to vote in U.S. presidential elections, as also FALSE.

The part at the end, after they describe the actions that happened, what was claimed against what was said, seems to offer their fact checking status on this article from a fact check web site, and in that check, they seem to find this wasn't the case at all. In fact, the entire article is about the title of your OP being wrong. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense, and again, if I read your link wrong, and that isn't what it said in the part I quoted, Please let me know.

I honestly don't think I could explain it any differently. Sorry.

ETA: I think I found a way to make it clearer.
perma.cc...
that is the link to the report you wrote the OP about. Could you quote in that report, the part where they give the disinformation? We need to know what the context here is, or if your original article was a fact check on disinformation spread about the group offering to clear up "disinformation".
edit on 12-11-2020 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

OK. If you read through the link you offered in the OP it reads:

The Claim: EUvsDisinfo is part of the European Union’s official, state media. It is an email newsletter produced by the East Stratcom Task Force intended to counter Russian-originating “disinformation.” In its November 12, 2020 issue it reported the following, in regard to the OSCE’s preliminary post-election report:

The report does note various issues with the electoral process, such as the “animosity and heated rhetoric” between the two main candidates, possible disenfranchisement of voters without a photo ID, and the inability of those in the District of Columbia or US territories to vote for president.

Nowhere in the OSCE’s 24-page report does it make the claim that residents in the District of Columbia were unable to “vote for president.” In fact, it says the opposite. Page eight of the report notes that “more than half a million citizens residing in the District of Columbia have the right to vote in presidential elections.”

Having established that EUvsDisinfo falsely cited the OSCE preliminary post-election report to support its claim, we next turn our attention to whether the claim itself is true. Can residents of the District of Columbia “vote for president?”

Yes. Since 1961, eligible voters in the District of Columbia have been able to vote for candidate-pledged electors in U.S. presidential elections. The Leonore Annenberg Institute for Civics, a nonprofit, nonpartisan program of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, clarifies this point.

Passed by Congress on June 17, 1960, and ratified by the states on March 29, 1961, Amendment XXIII treats the District of Columbia as if it were a state for purposes of the Electoral College, thereby giving residents of the District the right to have their votes counted in presidential elections.

Candidates for President of the United States are listed on the official website of the District of Columbia Board of Elections as ballot-qualified in the 2020 election. And, the website of the Archivist of the United States hosts a digital scan of the Certificate of Ascertainment from the 2016 U.S. presidential elections showing that year’s Democratic Party presidential candidate Hillary Clinton as having received 282,830 votes from D.C. residents.

The part at the end, after they describe the actions that happened, what was claimed against what was said, seems to offer their fact checking status on this article from a fact check web site, and in that check, they seem to find this wasn't the case at all. In fact, the entire article is about the title of your OP being wrong. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense, and again, if I read your link wrong, and that isn't what it said in the part I quoted, Please let me know.

I honestly don't think I could explain it any differently. Sorry.

Yeah, you definitely had some trouble reading it, as well as communicating your thoughts. If others do as well I'll consider amending the title of the OP but, since the issue seems to be limited to you at this time, I'm going to keep it as is. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

OKS Thens.

My bad.

Sorry to intrude.

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

OKS Thens.

My bad.

Sorry to intrude.

No problem! Good luck!

posted on Nov, 12 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Maybe this will help....

How are they spreading misinformation?

Not to rag on ya...but network dude is right....hard to wrap my head around what your OP means...

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   

hard to wrap my head around what your OP means...

Unfortunately, not every thread may be appropriate to every user's level of reading comprehension.

Equality is a goal, not a reality.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

hard to wrap my head around what your OP means...

Unfortunately, not every thread may be appropriate to every user's level of reading comprehension.

Equality is a goal, not a reality.

Lol...don't take it out on me because you're OP is garbage....

Comprehend that?

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Lol...don't take it out on me because you're OP

your not you're
edit on 13-11-2020 by WildBillX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join