It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Stopping it Now: Seas to Rise 4 Inches or More this Century (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Even if all industrial pollution and automobile emissions suddenly stop today, the Earth's climate will warm at least 1 degree by the year 2100. Another effect will occur too: the seas will rise 4 inches (11 centimeters). This information is based on a new study. Another study predicts that the warming is likely to continue through 2400.

www.livescience.com
Even if all industrial pollution and auto emissions suddenly ceased today, Earth's climate will warm at least 1 degree by the year 2100 and seas will rise 4 inches (11 centimeters), according to a new study.

The warming is likely to continue through 2400, another study forecasts.

The worst-case scenario projects the global average temperature rising 6.3 degrees Fahrenheit within this century and the sea level climbing a foot or more.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now I am not going to start pointing fingers at whom or what is responsible for this, but I will say that if there is any way to prevent further harm to the Earth, we must find it. We want this planet to be just like itself, or better, when we first came to this planet. Let's find a way to stop this serious problem from doing more damage or it could be serious.

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
no offence theyseeall, and btw congrats on your 50k, but these past submissions were much better suited as threads in their appropriate forums than stories on ATSNN, that's just my opinion though.

Now back to the subject.

I really don't think much can be done except for people to be aware of the dangers and stop living in places that susceptible to natural disasters.

We have a changing earth, we can't reverse it, so we must adapt to it, maybe building seawalls in certain areas, dome homes in others and simply moving, if by chance you live at the foot of a volcano or something.

[edit on 3-17-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'd say we really have to focus on developing nations, and others with little or no emissions regulations, and virtually no education on the subject.

I believe that, due to civilization as it is, global warming in a general sense is pretty much inevitable and to some degree a natural phenomenon. The earth and mankind will simply have to adapt - as they always have.

Kinda glad I won't be around when 2100 rolls in though.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You mean I'm gonna have to move my beachtowel again??!!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Are there any places that expect to profit from higher sealevel or warmer tempratures, increased rainfall etc ?

What about Siberia ?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is true that sea-level is rising. However, sea-level has been rising since the onset of the Holocene approximately 10,000 years ago. A rise of around 6 to 9 inches per century based on tidal gauge measurements is nothing out of the ordinary. Satellite measurements show considerable variation in sea-level rise. In some areas sea-level has risen and in some areas it is either stagnant or in decline.

www.csr.utexas.edu...

These statements of rising sea-levels, melting glaciers, and melting of the polar regions are disingenuous at best. Just scanning the original links provided there is no attempt made to frame these statements in a proper perspective. These are scare tactics plain and simple. Remember that the majority of these projections and forecasts are based on computer models that can never be proof of anything and they have failed to accurately predict the last 10 or 15 years.

Another good source, while not a website, would be The Skeptical Environmentalist by Bjorn Lomborg.

new topics

top topics

join