It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Justinian Plague (500s AD) estimated to have killed half the world's population

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

I'm sorry I should have stated that it was 85-90% of the known world at the time, but anyways it came from "Plagues and Peoples" by William H. McNeill. It has an ISBN of 9780385121224. I'll look for a free download of the book to review for the information.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I support some type of procreation management.

Irresponsible breeding needs to be curbed.

Pumping out kids because some god said replenish the earth is not acceptable.

But, it can’t be based on your wealth. It would need to be a cross section from all ranges of society.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The Earth can handle ay more people than it currently has, but more then that I don't think China has as many people as they claim they have.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Thanks for the quick response. I have a copy of that book somewhere too.

link   

originally posted by: Annee

But, it can’t be based on your wealth. It would need to be a cross section from all ranges of society.

It also cannot be forced, and people should never face punishment for refusing, either. If it's going to work at all, it MUST be voluntary, period.

I do not foresee that method coming into practice anytime soon. Maybe in a couple hundred years, but not today, not 50 years from now, and probably not 100 years, either. 200, at the soonest, perhaps.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Human cultural practice will always lag behind its technical ability. That's just the way it is.

One thing that I think is entirely possible is that people would be allowed to choose life or death, with death being uploading yourself into technology. This seems like a far off concept, but given Moores Law and the nature of the exponential growth of technology...it should be something available within my lifetime.

Then it gets down to religion, for the most part.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

The Earth can handle ay more people than it currently has, but more then that I don't think China has as many people as they claim they have.

There is only so much in the way of resources.

We need to reclaim land, water, etc . We need to reverse the encroachment.

I guess we could require all people to live in apt towers.

edit on 11-11-2020 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

It also cannot be forced, and people should never face punishment for refusing, either. If it's going to work at all, it MUST be voluntary, period.

I do not foresee that method coming into practice anytime soon. Maybe in a couple hundred years, but not today, not 50 years from now, and probably not 100 years, either. 200, at the soonest, perhaps.

The reality is — it may have to be forced.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Sensible enough answer.

But chances are we end up with a Brave New World dystopia given our limited vision perspective and biological needs.

The alternative being anarchy i suppose which is no better existence wise.

I happy medium remains to be seen but Utopia will never exist down to the fact that we are an imperfect species.
edit on 11-11-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

It will never work if forced, that's a good way to start a war that wipes everyone on all sides out entirely.
I cannot support an initiative backed & enforced by....pure force. Those never end well.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It will never work if forced, that's a good way to start a war that wipes everyone on all sides out entirely.
I cannot support an initiative backed & enforced by....pure force. Those never end well.

Mandates by increments.

Reality may be the decider.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Sensible enough answer.

But chances are we end up with a Brave New World dystopia given our limited vision perspective and biological needs.

The alternative being anarchy i suppose which is no better existence wise.

I happy medium remains to be seen but Utopia will never exist down to the fact that we are an imperfect species.

Me being logical/practical — living with a daughter fueled by emotion and personal drama.

My Brave New World

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Mandates by increments.

Reality may be the decider.

Either way, it's still just a thought exercise that is DOA for the foreseeable future, no matter how either of us slices it.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I've got a 14-year-old one of those.

Respect.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Disturbing fact,
A 40 ft shipping container can grow an acre of food.
People can live in large cities like in Tokyo or Hong Kong without having to give up too much in the area of privacy.
Walt Disney had a master plan to force all the people on Earth to live in Metropolitan centers, Epcot City was the one he showed to Congress during a 1960s conference of Climate Change.

So it can be done. The question has always been, should it be done?

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I've got a 14-year-old one of those.

Respect.

But, she doesn’t pay the rent

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I don't think i have much chance there.

I was out the door at 17, not by choice all the same, but i deserved it. LoL

Sink or swim type scenario of my own making.

Anyhoo weans are different these days i don't think i will see the back of my daughter this side of 25.

At least, i hope not, in a kind of sad, possibly holding her back sort of manner.

But i digress.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

Disturbing fact,
A 40 ft shipping container can grow an acre of food.
People can live in large cities like in Tokyo or Hong Kong without having to give up too much in the area of privacy.
Walt Disney had a master plan to force all the people on Earth to live in Metropolitan centers, Epcot City was the one he showed to Congress during a 1960s conference of Climate Change.

So it can be done. The question has always been, should it be done?

That sounds good to me for physical living space. I’ve seen some new high rise complexes that each unit comes with a garden. As long as my personal life is free.

How about instead of manicured lawns, we grow food. You know there are laws that your front yard has to be lawn.

There are a lot of things we can do to make things better. It’s weird to me to think how it affects us as we become more and more isolated.

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I don't think i have much chance there.

I was out the door at 17, not by choice all the same, but i deserved it. LoL

Sink or swim type scenario of my own making.

Anyhoo weans are different these days i don't think i will see the back of my daughter this side of 25.

At least, i hope not, in a kind of sad, possibly holding her back sort of manner.

But i digress.

Life situations happen. It’s a long, complicated, story.

You know, “Life is What Happens To You While You’re Busy Making Other Plans”

posted on Nov, 11 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well, my understanding is nobody is getting out alive.

Life is what we make it, hopefully to the best of our abilities.

Certainly, a complicated affair and superior to the alterative, or so I'm lead to believe.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join