It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Terrorists Train for Seaborne Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Philippine government sources are reporting that members of Abu Sayyaf have been scuba training for underwater attacks. The information comes from two suspects arrested in the Philippines. The training they were undergoing was for planned operations outside of the Philippines.

apnews.myway.com
MANILA, Philippines (AP) - Two of the most dangerous al-Qaida-linked groups in Southeast Asia are working together to train militants in scuba diving for seaborne terror attacks, according to the interrogation of a recently captured guerrilla.

The ominous development is outlined in a Philippine military report obtained Thursday by The Associated Press that also notes increasing collaboration among the Muslim militants in other areas, including financing and explosives, as extremists plot new ways to strike.

In the past year, the Indonesia-based Jemaah Islamiyah has given Abu Sayyaf militants in the Philippines at least $18,500 for explosives training alone, the report said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since we know terrorists are constantly changing their tactics, a seaborn attack would certainly be a new twist. While most harbors have little security, those that do, have little or no underwater detection capabilities.

This is something that bears watching. While planning by most governments typically attempts to address the last known attack, sometimes the most effective attack is of a new design.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
dirka dirka dirka (quote from Team America or Southpark with osama bin laden getting shot in the head-yay go team go!

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by truth hurts
dirka dirka dirka (quote from Team America or Southpark with osama bin laden getting shot in the head-yay go team go!

And that has what to do with this story???

I would think that on your first day here, you would behave a little better.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hes behaving just fine! Hes talking about terrorists which is what the topic is about.

EDIT: Dirka dirka dirka ooh osama mohamad ali

[edit on 17-3-2005 by CmptrN3rd5]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Guess it's over my head. I leave the cartoons to my kids.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
New news item! Al Quaeda is looking for sharks, with "frickin' lasers" on their heads! The next wave of seaborne terror!

I almost pity the poor fool who's underneat a ship with a blowtorch, trying to cut a big enough hole to sink it..what're they gonna do, swim underwater with enough explosives to sink a ship?

In that case, why not just monitor the sales and manufacture of explosives, since nothing homemade will carry enough punch to break a ship, in a size that won't be obvious as it's towed around.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

Youre the worst parent ever if you let them watch these cartoons!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I beleive they could destroy a ship in such a way... The Navy SEALS, SBS and SASR all are capable of such tasks... As for homemade explosives not having enough "punch" ... There are many forms of home-made explosive devices - if manufactured correctly - could take out a marine vessel of some description...

Where theres a will theres a way...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

Youre the worst parent ever if you let them watch these cartoons!

You sound just like my kids. They say that also. But they usually say it when I make them turn the cartoons off.

Back on topic.....
Every time I hear about the possibility of seaborn attacks, I am reminded of the explosion in Port Arthur, Texas. This was an explosion that nearly leveled the entire town when a ship full of ammonium nitrate caught fire. The explosion caused a chain reaction, that leveled the dock area and killed over 100 people.

It would be possible for a diver to set a charge on an oil tanker that was in harbor filling up. That explosion could set off a chain reaction and do some major damage to any seaside oil facility

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Which would be the equivelant of a major industrial accident.

Not much of a "terror" attack.

A cruise ship, on the other hand would be a better target. Still, the logistics would be difficult and prohibitave.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yeah it would be equal to an industrial accident. But like in the case of Port Arthur, it can damage our oil refining and distributing capabilities. Right now, that is the last thing we need.

Previous attacks and statements have shown that Al Qaeda would like to hit our petroleum facilities to hurt us economically.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
what the hell are those rodents gonna do in the water. come on all we gotta do is arm our shores heavily. blat@!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
what the hell are those rodents gonna do in the water. come on all we gotta do is arm our shores heavily. blat@!

Ahhh, but you see the nature of terrorism is that you never know when it would happen... If you were to put men on all of your docks it would be quite a task economically... Not to mention the moral damage that would occur in the general public...

new topics

top topics

join