It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far we have come in just 100 years!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
If y'all keep it up, you'll be extinct in 500 years- or less[/url].

I could say more (about asteroid impact, solar cycles, the georeactor etc.), but I think I've rained enough for one day...

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Chakotay]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way the price of a barrel of oil keeps going up, it'll soon be too expensive to fill your Panhead and that pile of motor on wheels will wind up a planter in the living room window.

No hydro can also be a pesky situation. As a northerner of 'many winters'. I can vouch for that.

There's lots of ways civilization can fail if it becomes dependant on services that become the basis of it's infrastructure...like the way commerce is now totally reliant upon computers. Even 'real' money is becoming a thing of the past.

Naw...I don't think it'll take 500 years...unless we get smart very quickly

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the props on the posting the thread; because I considered not even posting it thinking no one would be interested.

I agree that changes are needed to preserve mankind, but its not impossible. If we can avoid a WWIII scenario with MOD nukes etc.. I think that the human spirit, willpower and ingenuity will prevail for a long time to come. I don’t think world will end in our lifetimes, but I could be wrong. I think almost every generation has thought they would be the last at some point, but it works out.

One thing that personally scares me is our reliance on computers, and it grows everyday. I think we are doing things with computers they weren't designed for. While its fun and all just think we need to really engineer it a more secure and fail safe way before we go much further.

We need to really work on cleaner more efficient energy to make real advances.

Sometimes I think about how we are alive at the best time ever in some respects, but in some ways we might not be? I know you could argue that everyone was alive at the best time to date in their time, but we have gone from the Wright Brothers to landing rovers on Mars! I can only imagine what will become reality in my lifetime

[edit on 22-3-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a new world war, or something similar would be the best thing for the rapid advance of technology
each side would be trying to get an advantage over the others and put heaps of effort into new technologies that would be able to be used in normal lif after the war

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a lot of talk at the end of the 19th century about how science was slowing down because there wasn't anything left to invent.......

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Most researchers will agree that every question we answer only creates new questions. Hence we are not running out of things to learn/invent. The fact is that we are learning and documenting more then ever now. Additionally, with information increasingly easy to access this only fuels the learning process. We are certainly not running out of things to learn, indeed many scientific researchers, including myself, consider us very primitive in a knowledgeable sense.
As for war, it is unfortunately inevitable that we will experience a major war at some point in the future, perhaps fairly near future. And war always increases spending in scientific research and therefore advances our technology.
In 100 years from now we will have many technologies that we can't even imagine now -- science fiction doesn't predict what technology we will have, it is just someone's imagination. One thing that I will predict is that within the next century we will develop even more efficient ways of killing one another.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
a new world war, or something similar would be the best thing for the rapid advance of technology
each side would be trying to get an advantage over the others and put heaps of effort into new technologies that would be able to be used in normal lif after the war

yeah until the capitol and new york get bombed, then what? were done for. Wtith out new york we have like no money or exchanging going on, without a capitol, we have no rulings, the they just move on to take out our water supply and then were seriously done. But i think if they were smart, (and maybe i shouldnt be saying this on here, you never know who could be a spy...)
they would bomb or at least destroy our electric generators and supplyers, without electric we dont have power, without power we dont have anything really...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join