It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know how to burn a candle properly???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've always loved Yankee candles (say what you will). I think candles are nice, and the serve a purpose too.

My FIL always told me to cut the wick really short on a candle which had been burned before; this way it will burn the wax more completely. And, honestly, this works pretty well, but there always seems to be a bit of the candle left. How do I burn every bit of it?

Nice cadles aren't cheap, and I buy some even nicer ones for my wife, but when they're 1/3rd left, well, that seems like a waste.

What am I doing wrong?

Note: Sometimes people way out in the sticks think up the dumbest questions, but what can I say...I live way out in the country. We think about stuff like this out here. It's quiet (and that's nice).

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

As a last resort.

Save the candles and when you have three old ones, melt them down into a new one.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
BTW...I am confident enough in my masculinity to admit, I think candle light is cool. Nights like tonight, when it's snowing outside and I've got a warm dog on my feet, and it's too windy outside to have a fire. Hey, I'm happy with some candlelight.

The flame is mesmerizing in the quiet. We don't have to go anywhere...it's nice. Really nice. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

So, there's that.
edit on 11/9/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I always keep wick no longer than 1/4 inch. Why dont you get a tart burner and use the reaining wax in that device?

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The wick cutting is so it doesn't burp out a big black cloud of soot when you light it.
My wife is crazy about this.
Sometimes you need to dump some wax towards the end if it doesn't evaporate quick enough.
We've got some smelly candles, but my mom sent us a case of battery powered ones with remote controls that are awesome. Adjustable brightness, flicker and a wick that moves.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

You should look into a candle chandler.

I know a girl who has one and when she lights them up at night it is way cool.

The good old days, before electricity.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Also they make a thing to attach to your chimney so you dont get downdraft. I open the slidibg door when i open the flue damper and wait a few minutes cuz i live kinda close to a highway and my house is sealed amazingly well thus i have to let the pressure balance every time i start a fire.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

As a last resort.

Save the candles and when you have three old ones, melt them down into a new one.

Yeah dude, hit em with a torch, heat gun, or throw into the oven.
You can make multi scented candles too by combining several flavors.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Its all about the initial burn on a new candle. If you don't let it burn for a certain time to build the 'pool' of molten wax, the candle will never burn correctly.

The wick hardly matters, and is only there to sustain flame and heat, the pool of wax is the fuel, and absorbs the heat, melting the candle uniformly.
edit on 9-11-2020 by Nodrak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Anyone know how to burn a candle properly???

With a flamethrower
Burns em all the way down every single time.

On a serious note , my wife never clips the wick , and most times they burn down nearly to the glass.
edit on 11/9/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
BTW...I am confident enough in my masculinity to admit, I think candle light is cool. Nights like tonight, when it's snowing outside and I've got a warm dog on my feet, and it's too windy outside to have a fire. Hey, I'm happy with some candlelight.

The flame is mesmerizing in the quiet. We don't have to go anywhere...it's nice. Really nice. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

So, there's that.

Snow ? I'm in Central Illinois and it was 76 today. Weird huh ?

Like someone already suggested, wait till you have several of the same scent and combine them into one.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

your correct, I volunteered at a candle making 17th century place. Look whats let of the candle, put it in a pot of water and warm the water up till the wax melts there are premade wicks that stand already drop it in. take the other 2 and pour them in. you get one new candle, add some essential oils or odor to it and your set. you can also take just braded string, tape one side to an empty jar, tape the other to a pencil, then pore the hot wax in that way too.

Camain
edit on 9-11-2020 by camain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
You know, FCD, I always know your threads by title alone. And I love them.

I always make new candles. Use a double boiler like you use for chocolate, and pour new ones.

And for what it is worth, i could really use a ravioli and venison lasagna recipe....

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We use Yankee candles all the time. We cut the wick short and light it. That's it. Never had a problem burning all of the wax. Usually all that's left is a thin coat of wax on the bottom and the metal end of the wick.

posted on Nov, 9 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Wife n I dealing w used candle holders. She says throw em out...I say we can reuse!!

posted on Nov, 10 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   

That's odd, we're almost exclusively a devoted Yankee Candle household (sometimes WoodWicks, the glass dishes are very much reusable for other things) and I've yet to have a candle, be it a tealight to the big-ass suckers, not burn completely. Are you using them in drafty areas? Its the only thing I can think of, if the flame dances a ton, it's drafty and that can seriously impact wax utilization.

Fun fact, or rather, giddy mild brag -- a few years ago, about 6 months before the winter season line was sent out, I did an in-home use test/study (otherwise called IHUTs) for Yankee Candle. They sent me a max size Glittering Star jar candle to burn through

Talk about a damn nice scent, it's a borderline quintessential "holiday season" scent to me, without being overpowering.

Anyway, you're not alone on the candle love -- if my husband had his way, that would be the only thing we'd use for lighting. I mean, it IS the guy I left on his own to go in the Yankee Candle store solo while I took the kids elsewhere for clothes, and had to practically drag out of the store when I caught up & his purchase total was $200 and he saw another candle he Ooh'd & Ahh'd over on the way out the door. We're still using them, they haven't lost any silage power at all, nor have the profiles even changed, and that was probably almost 2 years ago!
He's still not allowed to go in unaccompanied anymore, lmao

posted on Nov, 10 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't know what it's called, but there is a gadget that sits right on the top of the candle, which helps it burn evenly.

When I was a bored kid at Mass every Sunday I used to watch the candles burn. They all had this gadget on top of them.

Apologies for my poor memory. I really think this is the thing you're looking for.

posted on Nov, 10 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This candle my husband I like to light,has three wicks.
I also like watching the flames and talking to my husband.
We even toasted marshmallows a few times,really fun.

posted on Nov, 10 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
cut wick down to quarter inch. Don't extinguish until entire surface has melted. If wax tunnels then scrap it level and keep wax to make new candle. That's how I've always done it.

posted on Nov, 10 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
When I was younger the hallmark of the Cape Town alternative scene was candles everywhere.

The till in clubs, for example, was covered in wax with candles on top.

Strange to think back now, I've lost more acquaintances through fires started by "atmospheric" candles (we never even had electricity load-shedding yet) than due to AIDS or political violence.

Nowadays, even during a power failure, I don't burn anything more than a tea-candle in a glass.

I also blame the media, or rock videos making candles the in-thing.
Candles are open flames and very dangerous.

Not saying don't use them, but please be careful.
edit on 10-11-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join