It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Say What You Like About Saturn, Its Moons Really Have Atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
With Bush putting money into NASA, the space exploration has started again and has found many interesting things. First it was probes on Mars, and now it is proof that some moons of Saturn have atmospheres. In two fly-bys NASA reported evidence to suggest that the moons of Saturn have atmospheres, which may lead to life being found. However microscopic, any life will be a great discovery in the expanding knowledge of the Universe.

www.theregister.co.uk
Cassini has found another Saturnian moon with an atmosphere: this time, it is Enceladus. The discovery was made during two recent flybys by the NASA space craft.

On the first fly-by, the team noticed a striking signature in Saturn's magnetic field. On the second pass, they noticed that the field was actually deflected by the moon. They also saw magnetic field oscillations, caused by ionised molecules interacting with the field lines, at a frequency consistent with ionised water vapour.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Atmospheres, real ones, but thin ones were found on the moons of Saturn. Bringing up the question, could we find life on a moon of Saturn before we do on Mars? Mars is the favorite when one talks about life, even if it is germs or viruses, but here we may see that a moon, and not Mars, will be the first to show us life is out there. With NASA exploring more of the solar system, future satellites and probes will be used to see if we are their is life in the solar system or not.

Related News Links:
www.spaceref.com
www.newscientist.com

[edit on 17-3-2005 by James the Lesser]

[edit on 17-3-2005 by James the Lesser]

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
interesting find

I would love to hear the discovery of life in our solar system even if it is microscopic, hopefully it will be done in my lifetime.

[edit on 3-17-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Look i dont care what anyone says, life itself is so stuborn that its my bet they are going to find it everywhere. Some organisms like sphores supposedly can even survive enterance trough the atmosphere, there is bacteria that feeds on lava rock in the vulcanoes. Amazing! is it not?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Any discoveries being made in our solar system are certainly not because of the meager funds Bush is putting into NASA. It takes a decade to get a scientific program approved and ready for launch. This window of the Bush Administration and NASA will probably prove to be our least successful time of exploration ever.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
Any discoveries being made in our solar system are certainly not because of the meager funds Bush is putting into NASA. It takes a decade to get a scientific program approved and ready for launch. This window of the Bush Administration and NASA will probably prove to be our least successful time of exploration ever.

You talking about NASA or Humanity? If it's NASA then it's still up in the air, if you're talking humanity well let me direct you to this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sardion--don't understand your question. The referance you directed me to was blank.

I was talking about the reduced funds for NASA programs.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
check my post on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Odd

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
kazi--

clinton cut NASA's funding. bush (and his father) increased it.

point that mess somewhere else.

on topic, this is a very intriguing find; I know there has been speculation about life on Europa or Titan, but now Saturn's moons might provide some candidates as well. Very interesting.

[edit on 3/17/2005 by Odd]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well, I still like Mars for first life, even if the moons have atmospheres still pretty cold place for life.... Although the Vostok Lake of Antartica has found life, so it could be possible.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I want to know who is saying bad things about Saturn!

Seriously, though, if life esists on these moons, then it is likely to be so radically different from what we are used to on Earth, that there will be a great debate as to weather it meets the criteria of life itself.

new topics

top topics

join