It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article:300 MILLION possible earth like planets in the Milky way galaxy alone

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
NASA can find 300 million earth like planets throughout the galaxy and yet the majority of our ocean bed has never been explored.

Or has it...

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

NASA can find 300 million earth like planets throughout the galaxy and yet the majority of our ocean bed has never been explored.

Or has it...

True. We don't know how much data the navies of the world have gathered that falls under classified. I bet a lot of the ocean bottom is mapped.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
a reply to: openminded2011

and with an estimated 2 TRILLION galaxies in the known universe, the possibilities are endless in my opinion! Life is everywhere out there!

Big numbers are always impressive. But abiogenesis is not a small feat. I would argue that the chances for having a bunch of proteins combine to form self replicating systems are close to zero. I imagine most earthlike planets having nothing more than organic sludge, with only a few lucky ones developing life.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think a better question to ask is"When was there life in the universe?" rather than if...
With the total vastness of space - and the subsequent journey time of even light makes that question even more relevant I think.

"Life" doesn't have to be biological either, imagine if we were the anomaly in terms of what we expected "life" to look like?

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

originally posted by: abeverage

Or has it...

True. We don't know how much data the navies of the world have gathered that falls under classified. I bet a lot of the ocean bottom is mapped.

I believe the Military has a very detail map of our oceans.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400
I think a better question to ask is"When was there life in the universe?"

Personally, I think that life has always existed in the universe. Because it doesn't exist without it. How did it happen? It happened because spacetime is like a sponge. It's full of holes where there is literally nothing, and they connect and wind their way through the fabric of spacetime like holes in a sponge. Now, there is no specific limit to this size of these vacuum holes, so it's not inconceivable that occasionally a tiny little bacteria or something else slips into one of these holes and instantly (because there is no "there" there) ends up -- wherever / wherever. Including the beginning of time itself. It might not be conscious like us, but when it gets to the beginning of the universe, and finds itself still alive, it starts looking around, for food if nothing else. And so the universe springs into being because it is now perceived.

And when the last bit of life in the universe dies off, the universe will collapse and vanish into itself.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

Traveling distances of light years is not possible for beings constructed of matter or mass. Only if technology existed to disassemble those things and reassemble them again at a different location, from matter and mass available at the far end of the journey, would that type of travel be possible.

When I think of high speeds such as traveling near or at or beyond the speed of light....I think of collisions with whatever possibly is in front of you. Anything from the size of micrometeorites upward.

If you don’t have a sense and avoid anti-collision evasive maneuvering navigation system that can project and detect waaaaaaaaay ahead of your speed..... it’s like bang, you’re out whether the object (obstacle) in your path is moving or stationary. The kinetic energy will be devastating upon contact.

As it is, our own spacecraft and ISS are definitely fearful of collisions with the smallest of debris.

I’m a firm believer that what we call Murphy’s law, is a universal law. I suspect even so-called “advanced” aliens get it....

edit on 5-11-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I recently solved the Fermi Paradox. No, really!

I wonder why no one else did so. The evidence has been right in front of everyone, for about thirty years, in space telescope images. Apparently NO ONE else ever actually examined any of those images, in detail, or, no one believed their own eyes.

The ETs/extraterrestrials/aliens have created ARTWORKS in basically every bit of every dust cloud that I have examined. It looks like every nebula and every galaxy's dust has been made into images of (usually) faces; lots and lots of them.

No I am not kidding and it is not pareidolia. Whether the faces are actually the ETs' own faces is unknown. I think that at least some of them are.

I just published a book with some of the images but haven't yet gotten any publicity for it (waiting for election to blow over). I only mention the book because it's the easiest free way to let everyone here look at some of the face images that I found.

It's free for anyone to look at the "Look Inside" link on the Amazon page for the book.

To get there, either do a search for "ET Faces Gootee" on Amazon.com, or, go to this link:

www.amazon.com...

Click on the "Look Inside" link at the upper left (above the book's cover image), then scroll down to the "Preview Images" section.

I took the highest-resolution NASA and ESA space telescope images that are out there and, for each one, I rotated it to every 45-degree increment, and for each view angle I zoomed in and out between about 20% and 1200% and scanned the entire image for artworks of faces, at each zoom level. I only framed/cropped/saved a small percentage of the ones that are there but still ended up with tens of thousands of cropped-out images. I pulled out the best 4,000 images that were found in 20 large NASA and ESA source images and put them into a book form. That book is basically too large and is still being pared down but in the meantime I tried to pull out about 400 good ones and put those into a "sampler edition" book, which is all that has been released, so far.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Interesting.... I’ve seen typical NASA released shapes like the Eye etc. but to compile and consolidate as you did is a well done effort in my opinion. Personally I would not have gone so far as to say it’s a certainty of extraterrestrial.

If you stare at a blank sheet of white paper long enough, you’ll see small faces like puzzle pieces ....or an old acoustic popcorn textured ceiling, you’ll see faces....cartoonish and sometimes distorted, but with common facial features.

The faces you compiled are what our telescopes view facing earth..... the chances of them looking the same if you can travel to the other sides of those faces I suspect would differ quite a bit, especially to inhabitants of another world viewing that same area from the backside.

Once again great effort ... I might buy 😉

edit on 27-11-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

Thank you. I believe that after you have seen the extreme cleverness with which multiple faces are combined, for example, you will have absolutely no doubt that they were created by intelligence. Some of them are mind-boggling. (Note that for me, it usually takes more than a casual glance. It might require studying one for a few minutes. Hint: Look for mouths to also serve as eyes of another (possibly smaller) face, for example.)

You will also notice that they almost all are made in a recursive physical hierarchy, where each face is composed of smaller faces, and each smaller face is, also, and so on. I have wondered if that might just be a language-independent way to do physical addressing, so that directions to get to a particular destination could be given as a sequence of larger-to-smaller face images.

Another mind-blowing realization is that most of these artworks, the ones that are large-enough to see from here anyway, are so large that those creating them would almost HAVE to use faster-than-light travel. That is mentioned in the "Look Inside" feature of the book listing, near the end. That particular sample image shows a man's face, with another, smaller man's face protruding from the side of his head. In that one, the larger head turns out to be 10.8 billion earth diameters tall; 14.55 light years from bottom of chin to top of hair.

edit on 27-11-2020 by ETFaces because: Added some words.

edit on 27-11-2020 by ETFaces because: and missing paren.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

Cool. If you do buy a copy, I would welcome any possible debunking commentary, as well as helpful suggestions for changes of course. If the telescopes were much better, it probably would have been much easier.

While the book is mostly images, there is text at the beginning that includes, among other things, my thoughts on how the probability of there being a number of recognizable faces, with all the parts in the right places, would get vanishingly small as their number increased. As an electrical engineer I used to be good at thinking about that kind of stuff but I'm getting old so any "corrections" would be welcomed.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
To say there is no intelligent life out there is amazingly short sighted thinking, you have to assume that we are the only type of intelligent life in the universe.

odds are exceptionally high that life has evolved on other planets, and maybe not planets we could live on and in life forms we would not recognize or be able to communicate with.

The star trek everyone is bipedal and has the same basic organs is a fantasy, but to say no intelligent life exists beyond humanity is laughable.

absence of proof we can find does not mean it doesnt exist, just like the inability to find the prrof at this stage in our development does not mean it doesnt exist somewhere, in some life form.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

Traveling distances of light years is not possible for beings constructed of matter or mass. Only if technology existed to disassemble those things and reassemble them again at a different location, from matter and mass available at the far end of the journey, would that type of travel be possible.

When I think of high speeds such as traveling near or at or beyond the speed of light....I think of collisions with whatever possibly is in front of you. Anything from the size of micrometeorites upward.

If you don’t have a sense and avoid anti-collision evasive maneuvering navigation system that can project and detect waaaaaaaaay ahead of your speed..... it’s like bang, you’re out whether the object (obstacle) in your path is moving or stationary. The kinetic energy will be devastating upon contact.

As it is, our own spacecraft and ISS are definitely fearful of collisions with the smallest of debris.

I’m a firm believer that what we call Murphy’s law, is a universal law. I suspect even so-called “advanced” aliens get it....

An artificially created magnetic bubble shield --- that surrounds a starship --- should be able to deflect micro meteors and cosmic radiation, even while a starship is travelling at FTL speeds.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
To say there is no intelligent life out there is amazingly short sighted thinking, you have to assume that we are the only type of intelligent life in the universe.

odds are exceptionally high that life has evolved on other planets, and maybe not planets we could live on and in life forms we would not recognize or be able to communicate with.

The star trek everyone is bipedal and has the same basic organs is a fantasy, but to say no intelligent life exists beyond humanity is laughable.

absence of proof we can find does not mean it doesnt exist, just like the inability to find the prrof at this stage in our development does not mean it doesnt exist somewhere, in some life form.

I agree. It’s extremely unlikely that there is not intelligent life on other planets. Have they been here? I don’t know. Could they be from here? Maybe. I mean, known history goes back what... 200k years at most? Tens of thousands of civilizations could have come and gone on Earth alone - plenty of time to become highly advanced and become spacefaring. I’m not saying that happened but I’m saying the math works out, in my mind, to make it a possibility.

As hippy dippy as this will sound... I think the keys to advancement of a civilization to the point of being “highly advanced” are unity and peace. A civilization has to be able to a) not kill itself off b)work towards a common goal so resources aren’t wasted in warring c)the planet has to remain habitable and d) this would allow a species to “fan out” into the stars while maintaining a commonality/have allies amongst the stars.

Humans have so far cleared what I call the “nuclear hurdle” in that we have the ability to destroy ourselves and our planet via nuclear weapons. We have enough now to blow all of us up many times over but we haven’t. That’s the first hurdle. The next hurdle, in my mind, is collectively working to leverage nuclear power for productive purposes/propulsion/power safely, effectively and consistently - which we’re kind of doing but kind of not..

Unfortunately, the next World War scenario could involve the moon. Everyone wants to go there and where you have competing interests you have conflicts. We’ll see if we can get more than a few thousand humans off world before the weaponized conflicts begin. Humans are a really nasty, low-brow and aggressive species collectively and that appears to be hardwired into us. Hopefully we can shake that off at some point...

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400
I think a better question to ask is"When was there life in the universe?"

One interesting thing I've heard discussed is how relatively "young" the universe appears to be at this point. Because 13 billion years or so is not a long time when you consider that we could have found the universe to be fairly dark and many hundreds of thousands of billions of years old. Hell it's practically brand new. So there's always a possibility that yes given the right circumstances life can form out of a bunch of dead chemicals, but it's still rare and at this time it's only happened once so far, with us.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:38 AM
link   
If you look at how long earth has had technologicaly advanced life on it, then consider the odds of a planet in our universe having technological advanced life on it also, then consider the universe is 13 Billion years old.
The odds of our two civilisations hitting this point in advancement roughly together give or take a few million years isnt very likely.
It is much more likely us and others have reached this point, but several billion years apart.
Life very well may have advanced, hit much higher levels than us and become extinct for a multitude of reasons.
Just because we aren't seeing and hearing them doesn't mean the universe has always been devoid of all life bar us.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Also concerning planets transmitting signals across the vastness of space, our selves with TV and Radio signals.
They will not continue through space indefinitely, the signals will degrade over very long distances and will become more and more noisy until pretty much being unrecognisable.
Considering the insane distances we are dealing with here this could also explain why we don't hear anyone, ours have been travelling for a blink of an eye in space time and have barely scratched the surface of this distance.
It would take 200,000 years traveling at the speed of light for a transmission to cross our universe.
edit on 28-11-2020 by Snoots because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Since our system is ideal for forming life (since we're here), there had better be more than microbes on at least one other planet or moon in the SOL system. Then we can have better confidence that life is indeed plentiful throughout the galaxy.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1

See 2 minutes 16 seconds in.

In Passengers, the force field they have is similar to what I believe we really need.

It's like a force field based on the principle of an atoms (EMF) Electro-Magnetic Field.

If you were to fall down to Earth from a 1 KM height and hit the earth, the atoms don't actually "hit you" and you don't "hit" the atoms. The electro-magnetic force is too strong.

Imagine if you could copy that EMF and repulse other atoms at a longer range. It would be like a force field. I think that is how UFO's can fly so fast. In water. In the air. They emit this force around their vessels and have no friction as the EMF repulses all the other atoms away from it.

If you can replicate that, then as long as you have significant power behind it and it exists a good distance ahead of you, you should have no qualms about travelling at those speeds.
edit on 28-11-2020 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

One huge issue that muddies the waters on this whole issue at the very base of this issue, is our governments. I we were to find large heavily build shelled animal life adapted to living on let's say the dark side of the moon. Let's say they don't need oxygen to live.
Do we honestly have faith in our governments to come out and say to its people, we have a paradigm changing discovery for the world, today we announce!
I honestly don't think they would. Much more likely to keep it quiet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join