It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Artists" & "Culture" ...as if

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It's really pissing me off the constant whining how so called "artists" are suffering because of the 'rona. You're not an artist. What you do has next to no value for our "culture".
At best you're "entertainment workers".
Mostly nothing more than enablers for the alcohol industry.

Sure there are a few who are not that bad and I made a point about buying albums of people I enjoy to listen to.
But you're not as important as you think, not more than every other business suffering and if you'd have before lived up to the status you want to have you'd have paid the people working for your nightly peepshow more and they'd have been able getting through this tough times.
You're no artists, mostly narcissistic alcoholics, sex maniacs and drug addicts.
No one needs you. There are thousands waiting to fill your place.

Pisses me off

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Are you ranting against just musicians...or ALL types of artists?

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
As someone who is fairly involved with independent music, this is pretty funny.

posted on Oct, 31 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The actual artists that I know are still working and doing well. Then again I don't live in a "lockdown" area of the world.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

The actual artists that I know are still working and doing well.

True artist never WORKS. Work is just a continuous slavery (whether self-imposed or not) without an end.

An actual artist needs inspiration, and it isn't predictable. If it's so predictable, they can 'work' and make a career out of it, it's not inspiration.

True artist CREATES, and this can't happen on a predictable schedule, let alone on a daily basis from 8 to 16 or 'nine-to-five', as the americans might say.

Even as a kid, I always wondered how those 'artists', let's say TV show creators, can always come up with a new, ingenious artwork for every week. As an adult, I know they can't, so most of everything is 90% crap and 10% good stuff, and out of that 10%, only a 1% (or less) of actual 'touched by genius, enough to be called true art'.

However, having said all that - the word 'art' doesn't mean what it used to. When it meant someone like DaVinci or Michaelangelo, I have no qualms about it.

But when it means 'toilet glued to the wall' or 'anything', then it means exactly nothing anymore. I don't even want to call anything I create 'art', I would feel like I am insulting it by classifying it together with the same group as these modern artists that sell an empty canvas for millions and call it 'Untitled'.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
You're no artists, mostly narcissistic alcoholics, sex maniacs and drug addicts.

Sound like fun people to hang with.

join