It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden Granted Permanent Russian Residency

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Looks like he's in Russia to stay:

On October 22, the Russian government granted American whistleblower Edward Snowden an open-ended residence permit, according to Snowden’s Russian lawyer Anatoly Kucherena. The permit gives Snowden permanent residency rights, allowing him to avoid returning to the United States where he faces criminal charges for violating the Espionage Act.

Snowden, a former contractor for the U.S. National Security Agency, fled the United States in 2013 when he leaked information detailing extensive domestic and international surveillance operations of U.S. intelligence agencies. After fleeing the U.S. Snowden sought asylum in a number of countries, including Russia. In 2014, Snowden received a Russian residence permit valid for three years, which was later extended for another three years. Snowden’s residence permit was set to expire this year and he first filed an application for an open-ended residence permit in April. However, his application was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Source

Possibly because he doesn't feel safe returning the the US anytime in future? There was some talk of a Trump pardon back in mid-August but nothing's come out since. Bill Barr shot down any chance of the pardon happening as well, mind you.

US: William Barr ‘vehemently opposed’ to Edward Snowden pardon

And I have no doubt the Biden Administration will go after him as well, and administrations following. He needs to stay where he is.

He seems to have settled well in Russia all these years so he might as well hunker down for the remainder of his life, kudos to Russia granting him permanent sanctuary.
edit on 27-10-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Im sure Putin also afford him a deal he couldn't refuse. I hope to see him on with Sergey Baklykov

It looks like our DOJ only goes after real whistle blowers , while letting the real criminals in our govt walk free.
edit on 361031America/ChicagoTue, 27 Oct 2020 22:36:41 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Im sure Putin also afford him a deal he couldn't refuse. I hope to see him on with Sergey Baklykov

Putin is obviously using him for their own global agenda. He has NO pure intentions at all in doing this for Snowden I know, but regardless, so long as Snowden is safe, fine, I'm happy. He's a patriot for taking a stand all those years ago. He revealed a lot of disturbing stuff from the Obama and subsequent administrations.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
It looks like our DOJ only goes after real whistle blowers , while letting the real criminals in our govt walk free.

Ran to China. Then ran to Russia.

Yep ... sounds like a real friend of American citizens.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Oh yes, instead of going back to America to get executed for releasing the truth? Injustices? Lovely.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Never said he was our friend nor have I taken a side with him. However one thing that I found very interesting about the whole thing was how putin handled the situation from the start. Putin first response was that he would take Snowden in , if he didn't release any information that might hurt the US. Which I thought was very interesting that he even made that comment.

Whether you agree or not with what he did or his intentions. He still was a real whistle blower that disclosed some shady dealings about our corporate gov't

However I also find it interesting that the DOJ under Obama and TRUMP keep finding no wrong doing from trump,bush, hillary, comey, obama, etc but they go after the people that actually expose the corruption like wikileaks, snowden and let the people that could expose it all like Seth Rich , DC madam, and Epstein end up dead even under their watch.
edit on 521031America/ChicagoTue, 27 Oct 2020 22:52:10 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 541031America/ChicagoTue, 27 Oct 2020 22:54:26 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Oh yes, instead of going back to America to get executed for releasing the truth? Injustices? Lovely.

You’re right! Hillary is as scary as ever!

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: interupt42

Putin is obviously using him for their own global agenda. He has NO pure intentions at all in doing this for Snowden I know, but regardless, so long as Snowden is safe, fine, I'm happy. He's a patriot for taking a stand all those years ago. He revealed a lot of disturbing stuff from the Obama and subsequent administrations.

I agree, this is just a jab from Putin to us. Just as the agents that flipped and lived their lives in the UK.

I say we show how we are different though. Instead of poisoning him, or epsteining him, we should just say you're good dude, come back home. We all know something important because of him, and it seems it's in vein as both parties have continued to go after him, while the populace just accepts the new dichotomy of citizens and government.

Snowden didn't irreversibly harm the US, he gave the public some knowledge of what their tax dollars does against their best interests. It would be good for optics considering we imprison and go after more of our own than any other nation.

posted on Oct, 27 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I seen an interview not too long ago where Snowden said each time another country was close to offering him asylum, there would be a phone call from one of two people, either John Kerry or Joe Biden. The country would be told hey we can't stop you from offering him asylum, but if you do there will be consequences. Each time the country would deny him asylum. This has been going on for years. He is stuck in Russia. The stupid interviewer then comments with a laugh I guess you won't be voting for Biden as if he could. Snowden wasn't amused and simply says he doesn't pick a side in American politics. But if this is true I don't think the man has many options, if any at all. Of course as another poster said he could come back and face execution here.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Russia bashing is sad as they were the only ones to front up and get farmers out of South Africa, they seem to be settling down and having a life.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 01:29 AM
link   

You know full well that there will never be a ‘biden administration’

That much is obvious

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Either Snowdens lawyer misquoted himself or one of these news outlets are not very good at quoting.

tass.com...
Edward Snowden has obtained Russia’s open-ended residence permit, his lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told TASS on Thursday.
"Snowden was granted an open-ended residence permit earlier today,"

www.nbcnews.com...
Snowden’s Russian lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told the state-run agency that his client was “given a permanent residence permit”

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

This is a really complicated issue, from the US stand point. Snowden obviously committed a severe treasonous act. However, this was only after his line of command did not act to his directed concerns, but was corrupt. And in the hind-sight was repurposed later to spy on Obama's political rivals. The latter developed not only to illegal surveillance activities, but into a directly treasonous actions by those directing that show.

But, the downfall is for the little guy to take...
edit on 28-10-2020 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Good. Now he's their problem.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 03:30 AM
link   
He tried to get asylum in 27 other U.S friendly Countries. Either Biden or John Kerry would phone up those Countries government and threatened consequences if they granted Snowden asylum. He does not really want to be in Russia, Putin does not want the hassle of Snowden being in Russia.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Edward Snowden showed us who the real enemies are.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Mentalists don't know what to think now...

Snowden good bad? Assange good bad?

Well, they don't know where dear leader stands, so they're on the fence... Not decrying not praising or vaguely bashing and quietly praising 😱😂🤫
When misinformation is information.

🤪

Good for Snowden. At least Russia doesn't pretend to be holier than thee..aka the land of democracy....but most depraved.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

He did produce evidence of a diabolical cabal, but it wasn't anything (and more) we didn't already know in our hearts. Some might see his actions as taking one for the team. Some simply see a betrayal of the trust and confidence he was freely given. I'd prefer he spend the rest of his existence under the security of Russia's blanket.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

We did know. But we didn't have evidence.

Snowden gave us that evidence and immolated his entire life for it.

posted on Oct, 28 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

He did produce evidence of a diabolical cabal, but it wasn't anything (and more) we didn't already know in our hearts. Some might see his actions as taking one for the team. Some simply see a betrayal of the trust and confidence he was freely given. I'd prefer he spend the rest of his existence under the security of Russia's blanket.

Roger that. Snowjob's no saint, just an operator. Let him end his days in Putin's paradise.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join