It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: First Hydrogen DaimlerChrysler Car For Sale In 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
sardion says:

"Yeah I agree but still the work does needs to be done. In a pure Hydrogen economy we would be getting the power for electrolysis from an H2 Fusion Reactor. I.T.E.R. + Fuel Cells = Clean Economy. Nuclear can fill some gaps as can renewables until we reach a fully fledged H2 Economy."

The problem is that the nearest H2 fusion reactor is about 93 million miles away.

Yeah I know that talking about tha future here ya know
Too bad we can't build a pipeline to saturn or jupiter.

EDIT: Unless what you're getting at is that ITER will not be a hydrogen reactor? If not H2 then what? I have not done much research on the subject, I still got Nano on the brain

[edit on 17-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
mythatsabigprobe says:

"The most hopeful news is that Shell is taking it seriously enough to produce and supply the hydrogen. I'd say it's pretty certain that gasolene's on the way out."

In the late 1980's, I worked for Solavolt International, a joint venture between Motorola and Shell, to produce photovoltaic (PV) cells and systems. Shell was in on the deal because it wanted to make sure it had its bets covered. as soon as they realized that PV wasn't an effective way to provide large-scale elecrtricity, they pulled out.

The oil companies will not stay in a particular business unless they can make a good business case for it.

I personally would love to see a hydrogen fuel cell approach, but the question remains: How do you generate the energy to crack the water into the hydrogen, then compress and move it?

I mean, if we're going to use commercially-produced electricity with powerplants fueled by oil or coal, we haven't really gained anything from a pollution-control perspective.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks for all that great information. I would also like to build a car. I even have designs and ideas for exactly what I want but I have no idea where to begin.

I understand now about not having coils on all tires because it would be load generating.

Originally posted by postings
If I had the money, I would build one, but my point is that the pieces are all out there. Someone just needs to get them all put together.

Me too. I would like to build one. I believe the American SUV is in its golden years and will soon be on the way out. America's next boom will be in high quality small cars Im sure.

Originally posted by postings
Someone just needs to get them all put together.

The person that does this will change the world forever.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
sardion says:

"Unless what you're getting at is that ITER will not be a hydrogen reactor? If not H2 then what?"

As far as I know, hydrogen fusion is the most effective fusion approach; but remember, I'm not a physicist....

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
sardion says:

"Unless what you're getting at is that ITER will not be a hydrogen reactor? If not H2 then what?"

As far as I know, hydrogen fusion is the most effective fusion approach; but remember, I'm not a physicist....

I miss amantine he'd know for sure. I believe you are wrong on the Hydrogen though, I believe a reactor based off of He-3 would be much better, to bad its stil hundreds of years away according to some people. I'll ring up my friends dad tonite he will definately know for sure, Geophsysist specialty in Isotopes. Hopefully he'll give me a laymans answer this time though.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Could the oil companies see the writing on the wall. With the prices they charge and their record profits the last few years are they making a run at us figuring the end is near. Do they see them selfs as the next target like the tobacco companies. Or are they just plain scum.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Me too. I would like to build one. I believe the American SUV is in its golden years and will soon be on the way out. America's next boom will be in high quality small cars Im sure.

I have heard this for years. I have been in the car biz for 20+ of them. Sorry to burst your bubble but Americans will always drive large cars. The main reason europeans don't is those crappy mid-evil roads that only small cars can fit on. Do you really see Cadillac producing a mini. And what about those with large family's. Next is the bigger the safer. I can care less about the jerk in a minni if he gets killed hitting my suburban with the wife and kids in there.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehamsamiam
Could the oil companies see the writing on the wall. With the prices they charge and their record profits the last few years are they making a run at us figuring the end is near. Do they see them selfs as the next target like the tobacco companies. Or are they just plain scum.

Naw they've been moving toward this for over 20+ years. Allthough indirectly through venture funding, it may start to pay off soon. Oil Companies are in the Fuel Business, the sooner they realize this the better IMO, unfortunatly it's going to take Oil at 70+ dollars for them to really be interested as that is the point I think where a whole bunch of renewables become cost competitive(don't quote me on that as I am unsure).

All the while Biofuels will become increasingly cheaper compared to Gas and will probably go unnoticed, unless a dramatic shift happens that is. It may be a boon to rural economies, god knows they need it in Canada

thehamsamiam, are you assuming that Fuel Cell vehicles will be small? Well the first one coming this year will be and btw Im sorry to burst your bubble but the Smart Car is selling way above expectations everywhere it goes. They sold 1000 of them in Toronto in the first day they came out and they only had 400 available to fill orders, there is still a waiting list from what I've read in the local papers. As for america let me direct you to this link...

ca.us.biz.yahoo.com...

100 mil is a drop in the bucket but for something that supposedly has no demand in the States, its selling extrodinarily well. At 15,000 grand US it's affordable as well. Of course it's tiny, but more and mroe people are willing to put up with that. Not sensing a seizmic shift here, but things are gradually shifting as they always do...slowly.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Heres a few pictures of the new Mercedes A-Class.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
NICE FIND! It looks sweet! I still like the Sequel better(it's the Sequel to the Autonomy...get it?
) Anyway nice find!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
NICE FIND! It looks sweet! I still like the Sequel better(it's the Sequel to the Autonomy...get it?
) Anyway nice find!

Unbelievable brilliance, your wisdom and in-depth knowledge of this subject is without measure among your peers, have a safe joy-joy day.

Wow, your wisdom and in-depth knowledge of this subject is mesmerizing and you should be very content in the obvious mastery of your research capabilities, have a "joy-joy" day.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Don't let the fact that he's from France bother you, this is too cool:

cyber-media.com...

And it looks (dare I say it) FEASIBLE! DOABLE! Totally within the realm of REAL TECHNOLOGY.

Check it out.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by granitehead
Don't let the fact that he's from France bother you, this is too cool:

cyber-media.com...

And it looks (dare I say it) FEASIBLE! DOABLE! Totally within the realm of REAL TECHNOLOGY.

Check it out.

Uhh the problem still stands, you still need energy to compress the air and if we get that power from conventional sources then we will still be in the same boat as before.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Electric air compressors....linked to solar, wind, nuclear power.
Even other sources of electrical.

The point is, you'd be switching the sole source of energy to push a car forward from oil to electricity or something else.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Okay I know that and have advocated such a system in the past. The problem is cost competitiveness. There are very few alternatives that are also cost the same or less then Gasoline, Biofuels is one.

Basically I am not deriding your idea, I think its a great one. What I'm trying to say is that Compressed air vehicles have the same inherint problem as Hydrogen. What would be better? I don't know. Personally I am going to bet on H2 Hybrids with quickcharge batteries and regenerative breaking etc etc. A member who does not come around that much Shbaz is working on such a system. Havn't seen him around in a bit though, if you see him ask him he knows his stuff.

Have a good one!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
People have cited that you need energy to get the Hydrogen from water.

Do you not also require large amounts of energy to crack crude oil into its component parts to acquire Petrol (amongst other hydrocarbon products)?

Whats the difference?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I agree with you all. Those are good suggestions but I think most of the time it sounds like a good alternative but usually it is just switching one dependance for another. Then the price of that will rise with demand. Something that is cheap now may not be so cheap when everyone is using it. You know?

What about magnetic cars?

I was playing with a couple of magnets last night that I took off my (Hide-a-Key) box. I've always thought of that as a potential power source. Just put two magnets together so they repel one another and you will see what I mean. I have a large .pdf file that I think you all would be interested in on magnetic motors and making electricity using earth's magnetic field. It is really technical and even has schematics. I have been trying to get somebody who "knows" about all that stuff and can validate it for me. If your interested U2U me and Ill send it too you then we can discuss it further.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
People have cited that you need energy to get the Hydrogen from water.

Do you not also require large amounts of energy to crack crude oil into its component parts to acquire Petrol (amongst other hydrocarbon products)?

Whats the difference?

Splitting Hydrogen from water is less efficent I believe. That is where alot of the R&D bucks are being spent these days. I think the way the Hydrogen economy is going to work is like this: At first it will look almost exactly like ours(that we have now) except there will also be products on the market to make your own hydrogen. When those products come down in price then we'll see a dramatic shift in the economy to a more decentralized setup and we will be all better off that way IMO. There are lots and lots of things we can do to reduce our consumption of Oil. We need to take advantage of every single one of them if we want to clean up our act.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Heres and animation of the process. Check this link out:

www.humboldt.edu...

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Besides being a finite fuel (sure there's lots undiscovered) oil also causes problems to the environment.

It may not be an issue to everyone, but besides being "conscious" of the earth, if we don't start controlling what we put into the air, it's going to be a HUGE monetary issue - all kinds of dollars to clean it up so we can still live here.

The alternatives are life in space, on the moon or Mars...and I'm guessing we're further away on those options than we are from the day when we see this planet uninhabitable from the internal combustion engine.

And I'm not even bringing a booming earth population into the mix.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join