It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Define the Word Esoteric?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I was curious what everyone's personal definition of esoteric was.
I put this little video together with my personal definition and I think it helps make it understandable for most people who think it only means something occult in nature.

I think conspiracies and the esoteric go hand in hand but I also think this has lead to the word esoteric being complicated and mystified when it's really, actually quite simple to understand.

Curious what your take is on it, and if you think my definition sums it up or leaves more to be answered?

and thanks for watching guys & gals, your support means everything to me

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Oh look, more gnostic esoteric psychobabble 💫🐴

It’s nice to describe esoteric based on your own belief, kinda like Gnosticism
It’s your belief that you think is true based on what you have learned
Based on your own special understanding and studies

My issue with esoteric beliefs, those who claim it think they are super special and know more than others, when really, they just insert confirmation bias to what they want to believe.
That God select only some for “special” esoteric message, no thanks

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I don't subscribe to that particular definition: I don't think "God" chooses anyone and ordains anyone with "Special" knowledge..

I think esoteric knowledge has to be earned the hard way, .. by learning it.

By reading, writing, and learning.

a "master" carpenter would have more experience, and knowledge than a novice, therefore it would be esoteric knowledge to the novice and the results of their work would make that difference apparent. It doesn't make anything fancy or passed down by any "God" .. it just means he's wise, through trial and error.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PuRe EnErGy

Call me a conservative, but I don't think we get to have "personal" definitions of words. They may evolve given time, but they mean what they mean at any given time and only by consensus. Esoteric means "for the initiated". The real question is...are you an initiate?
edit on 10/24/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

It's not that we have personal definitions that vary greatly from one another, .. but some words have multiple meanings.

Some words are more semantically dense than others, leaving people with an impression that a particular word is associated with something it might not be. For instance you don't lurk up to someone and give them a piece of your mind.

The context the word is used in makes a big difference as well.

Intended for the initiated, doesn't mean anything occult or fancy though.

It could just as easily be trigonometry 101 ... which would be for those individuals esoteric knowledge "initiated" into that particular branch of mathematics. For many other people that would be esoteric knowledge.

I agree though consensus is very important, .. the thing with 'esoteric' wisdom/knowledge in any of it's forms is that it takes what is usually consensus and turns it on it's head. Where all of a sudden when you see a triangle you are seeing things most others do not. It doesn't mean they weren't there all along, but you begin to see relationships between side lengths and angles of triangles.

So consensus moves from a broader more generalized definition to a more specific definition only understood by those initiated into that particular field of knowledge. It doesn't make it mystical or unobtainable or only gifted by gods.

Esoteric wisdom and knowledge is available to anyone willing to put in the time to learn something.

posted on Oct, 24 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: PuRe EnErGy
I was curious what everyone's personal definition of esoteric was.
I put this little video together with my personal definition and I think it helps make it understandable for most people who think it only means something occult in nature.

I think conspiracies and the esoteric go hand in hand but I also think this has lead to the word esoteric being complicated and mystified when it's really, actually quite simple to understand.

Curious what your take is on it, and if you think my definition sums it up or leaves more to be answered?

and thanks for watching guys & gals, your support means everything to me

I’m not viewing any video or looking up word definitions. My knowledge tells me that esoteric is nominally an adjective that describes a word or thought that is vaguely obscure to the general public; one, the understanding of which, requires expertise in the area to which it is used. The use of an esoteric word can often be seen as elitist; but, I don’t normally view it as such. My lack of knowledge of a word’s meaning is ON ME, not the user of it.

posted on Oct, 25 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: PuRe EnErGy

Your interpretation of the word is drifting a bit away from the meaning generally and historically ascribed to the word “esoteric”. For example, the Hindu Upanishads (meaning “sitting near”) came to be called such because religious teachers were accustomed to confiding secret doctrines to their best and favorite pupils, to those “sitting near.” “The term upaniṣad thus connotes an element of esotericism,” explains The Encyclopedia of Religion, adding: “In fact, the Upaniṣads state explicitly that such lessons are not intended for the general population . . . [but] were to be heard by only select ears.”

Likewise, the Arabic Koran was considered by Muhammad to be a book intended solely for the Arabs. This was despite the fact that the one represented as speaking is almost exclusively God himself, the Creator of all peoples. Translating the Koran into other languages is considered unfitting; therefore, only the Arabic text can be recited and used for ritual purposes. This may remind some Catholics that prior to the Second Vatican Council, held in the 1960’s, only Latin could be used in Roman Catholic liturgy.

The Bible, on the other hand, makes clear that its message is not to be restricted to any one group. This is in keeping with its claim that it is not “the word of men, but . . . the word of God.” (1 Thessalonians 2:13) Its proponents strive to distribute it widely in many languages, reasoning that every individual has equal right to benefit from his Creator’s words of wisdom.

Another example of a movement devoted to esoteric or secret wisdom are the Rosicrucians. In some ways the secret society of the Rosicrucians is similar to the Gnostic sects that flourished during the second century C.E. and were a rival of Christianity. The Gnostics believed that salvation comes through mystical knowledge and that such secret wisdom is bestowed upon only the select few. But is knowledge of God for the elite few? Is it restricted to a small group of initiated ones?

The Bible shows that Jehovah has progressively revealed his purposes to his servants, but it never mentions any “hidden truths” that would be accessible to some and hidden from other sincere seekers of truth living in the same period. (Psalm 147:19, 20; Proverbs 2:1-11; 4:18; Isaiah 45:19) This was true not only when God was dealing with the nation of Israel but also when his Son, Jesus Christ, was laying the foundation for Christianity.

During his three-and-a-half-year ministry, Jesus covered a large part of the territory of Israel. Did he do this in a clandestine way or visit solely a closed group of the initiated? No. He preached his message publicly, often before crowds. Shortly before his death, when interrogated by the Jewish religious authorities about his manner of teaching, he explained: “I have spoken to the world publicly. I always taught in a synagogue and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret.”​—John 18:20.

Did you note that Jesus’ message is addressed to a vastly greater audience than just Palestine? It is directed to the whole world! Jesus did not say: ‘I have spoken the word to all people,’ that is, to all Jews. Instead, being prophetic, he selected the specific word for “world.”* Thus, Jesus preached no esoteric doctrine; it was for everyone, everywhere. (*: Jesus did not use the phrase (pant·iʹ toi la·oiʹ) “to all the people,” that is, all who assembled or all of the same race; but (toi koʹsmoi) “to the world,” that is, the human race, mankind. Interestingly, A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Gospel According to St. John states about John 18:20: “It is noteworthy that the strongest repudiation in the Gospels of cryptic or esoteric teaching in the words of Jesus is found in Jn [John].”)

True, Jesus used figurative language, especially when teaching by parables, or illustrations. But this method merely enabled him to make a selection among his hearers. Those who were not truly interested in Jesus’ teaching just listened to his parables and went off without looking deeper into the matter. Those thirsting for knowledge stayed on for further explanation. Thus, knowledge was within reach of all sincerely seeking it.​—Matthew 13:13, 34-36.

The fact that Christianity is open to all is evident from the tone sounded in the rest of the Scriptures too. For example, one of the last verses of the Bible contains God’s invitation to ‘come and take life’s water free.’ And it states specifically: “And let anyone thirsting come; let anyone that wishes take life’s water free.” So, again, Bible knowledge was to be made available to all.​—Revelation 22:17; compare Isaiah 55:1.

Although knowledge of God is open to all, effort is nevertheless required to obtain it. The Bible encourages us to “keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures . . . keep searching for it.” (Proverbs 2:4) Consequently, knowledge must be acquired from God’s Word, the Bible, and then wisdom will become evident when its principles and commandments are put into practice.

Is the effort worth while? Yes, for such wisdom brings “goodwill from Jehovah” and can lead to everlasting life. Have you personally begun searching for this all-important knowledge?​—Proverbs 8:34-36; Psalm 119:105.

the bible-accurate history reliable prophecy part 1 of 3 (playlist)
edit on 25-10-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

thanks for that excellent reply.

I just wanted to bring the word into the realm of understanding so people didn't instantly associate it with something mystical or hokey ...

posted on Oct, 25 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Worldish

posted on Oct, 29 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
My understanding is primarily taken from esoteric Buddhism. Esoteric Buddhism does not claim to be "superior" to non-esoteric Buddhism, but it has secrets that are only revealed in person by a master to his or her disciples during initiation. This is said to be because it involves delicate energy work and subtle practices that are easily misunderstood if practiced without personal instruction.

One analogy I like is that it is kind of like brain surgery. You shouldn't really try to teach yourself brain surgery or operate on somebody using book knowledge alone. You need lots of supervised practice before you are allowed to touch gray matter. It's similar with esoteric Buddhism. It's not really a "secret" but it's not something you are supposed to teach yourself or just learn from books, either.

top topics

join