It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Arabs Wonder at Shift Away From Autocracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
On the eve of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Arab League chief Amr Moussa, issued dire warnings that it would be like opening the gates of hell. Now two years after the invasion, many now wonder if the gates of democracy were opened instead. Elections in Iraq, Palestinian presidential elections, and Saudi municipal elections have all occurred. Critics have wondered if all the blood shed is worth the gains. Also some have warned that a Democratic process may the like of Hamas become a huge player in regional politics.

story.news.yahoo.com
CAIRO, Egypt - Just before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Arab League chief Amr Moussa warned it would "open the gates of hell." Two years later, many are asking whether the United States actually opened the doors of democracy in the Middle East.

A region dominated by autocrats is seeing Iraqi parliamentary elections, Palestinian presidential elections, and Saudi municipal elections. Anti-Syrian protests have brought down a government in Lebanon, and Egypt has announced it will hold its first multi-candidate presidential election.

The drama is being watched in Arabic-speaking households worldwide on increasingly free and borderless Arab TV stations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Middle East is at yet another historical crossroads. The efforts at building a democracy in Iraq may have a huge regional effect. No doubt as stated above there may be some areas where terrorist groups will do quite well and that is a consequence of such a system. Even here in the U.S. we have seen the likes of a David Duke nearly win a governorship, so you have to have patients and resolve to see things through

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
It's all good!

I have been against the Iraq 'adventure' from the beginning. I am still against it. However, if democracy catches on I will admit I was wrong. Something I always agreed with and still do although I believe America is dragging its heels, is Afghanistan.

If democracy is the goal then maybe Iraq 2 will end up being a success. However, if pro-Americanism is the goal then i fully suspect more of the CIA style dirty tricks that have occurred in the past throughout the world will happen.

Time magazine
Are We Serious About Arab Democracy?
Iraq shows Arabs desperately want the vote. It also shows that when they get it, they'll choose governments less friendly to the U.S. than those currently in power

America complained about the Ukrainian elections, let's hope the same propensity to complain exists should any of the Arab elections likewise prove to be a sham.

Repressive, religious democracies- that will be interesting. All anti-U.S. with no rights for women. Will they still be democracies if there is only one party? Or is this just a changing of the guard?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

America complained about the Ukrainian elections, let's hope the same propensity to complain exists should any of the Arab elections likewise prove to be a sham.

The Ukrainian election did not exactly win an immediately favourable response to the US. After all, Yushchenko (the orange guy, i get him and the other guy's name confused) pulled troops out from Iraq as soon as he was elected. He also seems set to maintain the Russian alliance.

Elections in those volatile places have in general favoured the populist who rides on nationalism. This can be dangerous to the rest of the world. It would be interesting to see how being in the government will change groups like Hamas.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
Elections in those volatile places have in general favoured the populist who rides on nationalism. This can be dangerous to the rest of the world. It would be interesting to see how being in the government will change groups like Hamas.

Could be like the movie Lawrence of Arabia at the conquest of Damascus. Because of all the infighting and bickering within the Arab ranks the British took over

Let's hope things are different this time around.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

The Ukrainian election did not exactly win an immediately favourable response to the US. After all, Yushchenko (the orange guy, i get him and the other guy's name confused) pulled troops out from Iraq as soon as he was elected. He also seems set to maintain the Russian alliance.

What you are forgetting rapier is that BOTH canditates promised to pull troops from Iraq.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
What you are forgetting rapier is that BOTH canditates promised to pull troops from Iraq.

Ok, i stand corrected, i did not know that.

However, did Yushchenko propose the pullout first, thereby forcing Yanukovich (spelling) to pull out for political purposes? After all, wasn't it Yanukovich's decision to send the troops?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
No clue about that one, I just know both were running under that Campaign promise, I don't know who suggested it first.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

After all, Yushchenko (the orange guy, i get him and the other guy's name confused) pulled troops out from Iraq as soon as he was elected. He also seems set to maintain the Russian alliance.

Yushchenko is decidly pro West. However, despite this he still has to deal with his large neighbor even if he does not want to.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Yushchenko is decidly pro West. However, despite this he still has to deal with his large neighbor even if he does not want to.

Let him move!

j/k

I'm still perplexed byt the Soviet break. That's another story.

When these new groups come to power in the middle-east I wonder how anti-US they will be. How fundamentalist- after all is said and done these folks have to draw their political power from somewhere.

A period of nationalism has to occur. Will an new 'Arab-League' pop up?

new topics

top topics

join