It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tahini Halva

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
So I hadn't my Halva (Gr χαλβά) fix after a dry spell of 3 months. I made a few phone calls ( as a previous shop shut down ) and I was rewarded by finding my 2 1/2 kg block.

worth the watch 2 min video ( I bought the plain vanilla )
www.matis.gr...

Its not difficult to make, see:

It can dry out so perhaps start off trying a small portion like the 850 gms Turkish ones.

Do not mistake it for the soft semolina Greek sweet called halva as well

skip to 7:54 to see consistency ( wobbly more moist than the Tahini Halva )

wiki

Is Greek Halva healthy?
Halva is rich in B vitamin, E vitamin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, selenium and antioxidants. Regarding the calorific value, the combination of ingredients, sesame and sugar, it is a long-lasting and nutritious source of high energy and is also believed to rejuvenate the cells of the body.

Back to eating...yum yum

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

When we were young my parents would buy this around Easter time for fasting - before communion at the Greek Orthodox Church. They felt bad expecting us to fast when we used up so much energy; couldn't have us going to school on an empty stomach.

Persians know how to use it for energy!!!

Why is Halva served at funerals?
Why halva is served in Persian funerals? Halwa is an excellent choice for mourners based on the healthy properties of ingredients; Firstly, it has a strong sweet taste that comes from the mixture of water with sugar or other substitutes (Shire) which increases blood sugar immediately.Jan 14, 2020

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   

A totally delicious snack. I could get down on some of that now. No pistachio, huh? I love me some pistachio with my sesame

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I LOVE halva. Have you ever tried string or cotton candy halva? You are in for a new, heavenly halva experience, aka: Pismaniye.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Now I have to go find this stuff.... But I will probably have to take a road trip to do so! Don't find these delicacies in most small Southern towns(US)!

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

A totally delicious snack. I could get down on some of that now. No pistachio, huh? I love me some pistachio with my sesame

Yeah Pistachios great but its about $3 kg more so I got plain this time

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

Wow I just googled it. Should have tried it when we went to turkey about 6 years ago

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

hahaha it took you 2:15 mins between your posts - like a song earworm the taste sensation overcame your brains willpower...good luck hunting. Not easily available here either. More Greeks in Melbourne than Perth. I could always order it online, just the "use by date" would concern me if not physically checked

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yeah.... I may have to take a LONG road trip to find it then.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

new topics

top topics

join